RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 15 year old gasser F150 is succumbing to road cancer and will be replaced within the next few years. I'm already starting to look and save for a replacement.

Based on price and features, a long box diesel Tradesman fits the bill.

That being said, my commute is less than 4 miles each way. It's not all stop and go (depending on the one traffic light there might not be a stop at all) and the drive is usually at 40-50 mph. I'm not sure that the diesel will be up to the challenge for the long haul.

As it stands now, I use an extreme service oil change interval. Every 6 months, regardless of mileage (typically < 2000), I change the oil (Mobil 1 synthetic, btw). Because the engine doesn't have time to warm up and evaporate moisture, I have condensation problems during the winter months. Essentially, I develop a yellow custard substance under the oil cap.

You can see where this is going. If a gasoline engine has issues with short commutes, especially in the cold, how will the diesel hold up? Is it safe to combat this with a 5 minute warm up in the mornings? The old school line of thinking, at least in the Mercedes community (see handle), is to avoid idling altogether. I assume this is still the mindset of today's diesel owners?

FWIW, my wife has a shorter commute than I do. But her Nissan has been running fine for the past 12 years with the same "custard" during the winter. Aside from rust, my truck is also in pretty good shape. So more frequent oil changes seem to combat the problem. But I'm not so sure how newer diesels cope under the same circumstances.

Somewhat helpful would be that the truck would get driven on longer trips several times a month. So it would have opportunities to reach normal operating temperatures to "burn off" carbon build up, etc, just not on a day to day basis.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I would say stick to the gasoline model.....this diesel is at home running on the hwy! That being said the v6 pentstar motor is fantastic, give it a look!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say stick to the gasoline model.....this diesel is at home running on the hwy! That being said the v6 pentstar motor is fantastic, give it a look!
To be honest, the only reason I was looking into Dodge was because of the diesel at this price point.

If I go with petrol, I'll get another F150. Known quantities and so on….

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am a diesel guy. Family in trucking business had a mess of me through the years. With your commute and use. Get a gasser.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
No.

Before looking at another F150 look at the ratings on the new ones. They are a mess. I drove two different V6 Pentastar Rams. Loved how they ran but bought the diesel. They are getting super ratings and really are getting the great gas mileage they are supposed to get. That's quite unlike Ford and their Ecoboost engines.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
...Thoughts?
A modern diesel must be run at highway speeds periodically because of the particulate emissions system, and the engine works most efficiently when warmed up and under load. From what you have said the V6 Pentastar sounds like a better choice. If you run unloaded most of the time the F150 V6 would be okay, too.

Of course, a short commute like yours is an ideal candidate for an electric car, bicycle or transit. Unless you need a pickup at work it does not make sense (economic, traffic or air quality) to commute in one whether gas or diesel.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I agree with all of the above. I love my Diesel's... but it's not for you.

Get the new V6 gas, with the 8 spd trans... and you will still get good MPG.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am in a similar boat to you, and no matter how badly I wanted a diesel, I finally broke down and ordered a Pentastar. The little aluminum 6 has some great tech that let's it warm up really quick in the winter, and it can still tow 7150 lb with the 3.55 and has something like 500 lbs more payload than the diesel. It's also quite a bit of fun to drive, a little more responsive, suprisingly fast with the 8 speed and without the extra weight in the nose it just feels a tad livelier. I drove both a 3.21 and 3.55 in the V6 and the 3.55 felt noticeably 'funner', maybe give one a try.

Today I pay 20 cents/litre less for gas so it actually works out to about the same in operating costs, and free oil changes on gas engines for the life of the vehicle from my dealer so maybe even a little less for operating costs in the end.

All that said, if my situation changes I'll trade in for a diesel in a heartbeat, I love the grunt of a diesel.

If I was towing a lot I would have hung in for a diesel but I don't even have anything to tow ....yet.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Only four miles? A Segway man ... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I currently own the smaller I4 motor made by VM Motori, and I have to agree, a gasser would be better for you. My engine doesn't produce full power until it warms up, and there is a big fuel mileage difference until it warms up. I travel 70+ miles to work, so that is why the diesel works for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What grade of gas do you need for the 6 cylinder gas motor. I saw on the spec sheet that the compression ratio was at 10 to 1? I drive a lot more than the original poster but am also thinking the diesel isn't worth the extra cost. I have 2 Ford 350 super duty diesel trucks now. I think the new Fords aren't that competitive. Either way I think I will try a Ram this time.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Im pretty sure good old 87 octane is good!

·
Registered
592 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts