RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do 80% in town driving with tools and canopy, is there a down side to running the diesel in town traffic with a lot of stops for short periods and not a lot of freeway driving ?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
well... there is the obvious MPG hit. But, as long as you are driving enough to build real heat in the engine... then No... there isn't a down side. BUT, if you are doing a bunch of short trips... then you will pollute the oil with diesel fuel, and condensation.

Generally Diesel engines like to be run longer, and if you know you do a lot of city driving... then you may want to stick with Gas.

·
Registered
701 Posts
In Europe the majority of cars are diesel, and many will be driving in cities. This is a euro designed engine, for cars and trucks. That said, if I were taking several short drives of 1-2 mikes or less, with short stops between, I currently idle my car. Just don't idle too long. It's hard on any engine to have many on/off cycles, especially if not warmed up. Also, don't place large loads on a cold engine.

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Doubt it would be any problem if you keep it running. I have noted often that this engine takes me a good 8 miles of running to get it up to reasonable operating temperature. Once that is done my opinion is it will run fine the rest of the day if you minimize the shut-offs.

It may regenerate more often but I don't see that as any big deal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In Europe the majority of cars are diesel, and many will be driving in cities. This is a euro designed engine, for cars and trucks. That said, if I were taking several short drives of 1-2 mikes or less, with short stops between, I currently idle my car. Just don't idle too long. It's hard on any engine to have many on/off cycles, especially if not warmed up. Also, don't place large loads on a cold engine.
This is true (I'm from Europe myself). But I think the diesel fuel is a little different in the states compared to the US (it's not as clean or something), there was another thread about this a while back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts