RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just a thought for you in regards to you adding a generator to the mix. If you make a platform on the bumper of the trailer, the generator is no longer part of the Payload. Utilizing payload is all about the art of shifting weight of what you take, when pulling the TT and loading more to the trailer where possible.
Securing a generator on the rear of our rig might be a good thought with a different travel trailer, but unfortunately for lots of reasons that is not an option with ours. A fellow Canadian of yours up in "Southern Ontario" per his profile on RV.net has the same rig as ours - but a year older - and I've leveraged off some of his wisdom and experience revolving around the same question. So we will just anchor that genny down in the bed of the Ecodiesel.

It just dawned on me . . . are bed tie downs standard in RAM trucks? I've taken that for granted since I've got them in our Ridgeline, and it occurred to me that I did not even check the truck we are focusing on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The 1100 vs 1300 could be based on 3.55 v 3.92??? Also I replaced bumpstops in rear and have Timbren Springs. Personally understand tongue weight however would not get to hung up on that given your weight overall. The overall increase in MPG alone combined with a 700 mile unloaded range on the HWY is superior. I have a 2016 LH and the amenities is worth the upgrade IMO.

Thought the RL was unibody and not on a frame? That alone would rule out another RL for me if so.

Great info here and good luck w/ your final decision.
SO I just ran across a 2018 that has 3.21 gears.

NOW, what are we talking about in terms of towing our travel trailer (~4,700 lbs as described in my original post in this thread). I would think even better mpgs, but at what penalty in ability to tow this trailer?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
SO I just ran across a 2018 that has 3.21 gears.

NOW, what are we talking about in terms of towing our travel trailer (~4,700 lbs as described in my original post in this thread). I would think even better mpgs, but at what penalty in ability to tow this trailer?
IDK what towing penalty and 3.21 is new to me in an ED however my 3.55 will downshift 8-7 on certain high bridges and rolling hills in the FL panhandle. It is annoying to me so my next ED would be 3.92.

It is my understanding the diff in MPG is 1 between a 3.55 & 3.92. If a 3.21 then maybe 1 better than 3.55? The bed has 4 factory d-rings.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
IDK what towing penalty and 3.21 is new to me in an ED however my 3.55 will downshift 8-7 on certain high bridges and rolling hills in the FL panhandle. It is annoying to me so my next ED would be 3.92.

It is my understanding the diff in MPG is 1 between a 3.55 & 3.92. If a 3.21 then maybe 1 better than 3.55? The bed has 4 factory d-rings.
Thanks. Was just getting ready to check the RAM towing chart . . . and saw your post. I'll run this thinking through that grid. And thanks for the confirmation on the tie-downs. I'd forgotten to verify that on the trucks we've examined. I often use ours on our Ridgeline and those needs will not go away.

Have driven I-10 across the beautiful Florida Panhandle millions of times. I know those rolling hills you speak of. Many folks are very surprised by that terrain, but it's lovely.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I found this site useful:
https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

My Crew Cab Laramie with 3.55 gears is only rated 7,800 lbs towing.
Thanks Bravo. Before you posted but after my last post I went to the towing guide you've referenced. I couldn't find a configuration of a 3.21 Ecodiesel that was an '18, 2 WD. I'm wondering if the dealer's web site is just wrong. I'll give them a call on Monday.

·
Super Moderator
3,762 Posts
I couldn't find a configuration of a 3.21 Ecodiesel that was an '18, 2 WD. I'm wondering if the dealer's web site is just wrong.
Most likely the website is incorrect. 3.21 is the standard gearing for all the '13+ Gen4 Ram trucks unless an engine/transmission or package option changes it.

For some strange reason with any of the EcoDiesel trucks with Outdoorsman trim package, despite the trim level spec of 3.92 gearing the truck's gears were based on the wheelbase. The CC w/5.7' or QC w/6.4' bed will usually have 3.55. The Outdoorsmans built on a CC w/6.4' bed will have 3.92.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I sense economics are driving you towards the decision.

Now go factor into you fuel math that diesel costs more per gallon to buy. Plus def fluid, plus oil changes are more but less frequent.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I sense economics are driving you towards the decision.

Now go factor into you fuel math that diesel costs more per gallon to buy. Plus def fluid, plus oil changes are more but less frequent.
Yes, and fuel efficiency in general plus when towing our rig. We tend to drive more than the average folks just due to our location and lifestyle. Longevity of a diesel factors in . . . I've also read that a number of you change your own oil, etc. I'm basically handy and have done that in the past and not averse to do it again if the service shop's costs are prohibitive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So . . . I "Think" I've Found it

A different Ecodiesel than the one I first targeted. The new focus from a different dealer: 2018 RAM 1500 Lone Star RWD Crew Cab, Ecodiesel, 21,592 miles, one owner (Carfax says they only owned it 7 months - from when first sold in April, '18; funny thing is, the original selling dealer is partly owned by a dear friend of mine who is selling the truck that started this thread . . . weird!); 3.55 gears (as we suspected, their web site was wrong); Black appearance group; appropriate options - Lone Star Package 28R, though we are stepping down in the number of electronics and safety and convenience accessories in our current Ridgeline (but we are buying this truck more for functionality than "nannies,"); bed liner. Firm price = $29,000.

Later on we will probably add running boards and then later a tonneau cover ('cause we will miss that trunk in the Ridge).

No negatives on Carfax, but what else should I be looking at? Other thoughts?

Just for the heck of it while there, we also test drove an F-150 (2016 with 31,000 miles, 2.7 Ecoboost). A really good truck. We would be stepping back a couple of years, and it's further along on the odometer. Plus, driving around in metro Houston traffic I'm afraid that our mpgs would suffer by goosing that truck to manage traffic, and that turbo does tend to gulp fuel . . . It would tow fine, of course.

Really appreciate all the feedback on the forum. All of you have been very helpful in schooling me up on considerations.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
If you still compare with other trucks , the Lonestar is the Texas version of the Big Horn ,
same truck , different name in Texas .

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
FYI those smaller eco boost engines have a reputation for issues with longevity and way worse fuel mileage then advertised. That one will be out of warranty at 60K miles. The '18 Ecodiesel goes 5 years and 100,000 miles - transferrable. There is still about 10K basic full coverage warranty on the Ram. Guessing the Ford is past that.

The only good thing I can say about the Ford F150 is they can be glitzy with lots of chrome-plated plastic to give a first impression. They are often quite pricy, maybe because of popularity and looks. You know a lot about the Ecodiesel so it's good that you use all that information to make your decision.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
FYI those smaller eco boost engines have a reputation for issues with longevity and way worse fuel mileage then advertised. That one will be out of warranty at 60K miles. The '18 Ecodiesel goes 5 years and 100,000 miles - transferrable. There is still about 10K basic full coverage warranty on the Ram. Guessing the Ford is past that.

The only good thing I can say about the Ford F150 is they can be glitzy with lots of chrome-plated plastic to give a first impression. They are often quite pricy, maybe because of popularity and looks. You know a lot about the Ecodiesel so it's good that you use all that information to make your decision.
Thanks again. Sent you a PM a while ago before realizing you had replied to my latest post. Working the numbers at home to be prepared for various trade scenarios tomorrow. Might be driving that buggy home tomorrow evening . . .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Well, what decision did you make?
Well, yesterday evening we brought home the most recent truck I mentioned in the thread. (I tried to post a picture, but it was upside down, so I removed it. But just imagine the all black theme that comes with this package. We like it.)

We were able to work a good deal with value on our '18 Ridgeline . . . ended up with a payment less than we had been paying on the Ridge. 3.25% interest and we also bought an extended warranty. We just felt that this was a deal we didn't want to pass up. Not many "gently used" EDs out there - around here, anyway. So today we spent running some errands wuhich included busy suburban streets as well as freeway driving in the Houston area. Ended up with 24 mpg over about 50 miles. It was better than that before some heavy traffic and stop and go reduced it. Just generally began to get comfortable driving the truck.

This truck doesn't yet have the GDE tue, so that's on the list to get done. First thing, however, is to get some running boards. My wife is really short of stature, so these are a priority. Thinking of ordering on line from a 3rd party vendor. Weight is a consideration, since we gave up 50 lbs of payload capacity in this truck vs. the Ridge. Don't want to throw too much more weight on. Open to suggestions from you and others.

But even without the running boards - yet, my wife is happy with the truck! Happy wife; happy life, you know.

Really appreciate the great information from you and the others on this thread. Absolutely no buyer's remorse, whatsoever! Tomorrow we will spend time working through the functions of the Uconnect, etc.

Happy 4th of July to all, and appreciate the wisdom and experiences you offered.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
If you still compare with other trucks , the Lonestar is the Texas version of the Big Horn ,
same truck , different name in Texas .
Could have sworn that I saw a "Quebec" trim somewhere . . . :roll eyes:

And actually thanks . . . I have not yet sorted all trims available, and I didn't know that the Lone Star & Big Horn were the same.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I certainly hope that the warranty you bought is the MOPAR warranty. And as for the step, if you can't spend a grand (or more) on the retractable step, it was a big deal and a big selling point 5 years ago to get the wheel-to-wheel step because it supposedly helps the MPG.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a 2018 Ram Sport Ecodiesel custom ordered in that tinny window we had last year, had to wait 6 months for it during the debacle..... so I've actually had it for about a year and put about 26,000 miles on it including a trip with a 35' Avenger 8,000lb travel trailer, i posted in the towing section last year with CAT Scale slips.... I've also hauled plenty of mulch, and various other things in the truck and drive about 70 miles a day on the highway with the truck.

at about 24,000 miles I've seen a jump in the miles per gallon but I believe that is mostly related to moving to a more rural location with less top and go traffic... I'm averaging 27+ now and before it was hard to be 26 on a regular basis.

Good luck with your truck, for a long time there weren't many 2018's around or on the road and I only knew of 2 sport versions of it, mine and one other on the forum and the dealer said they're virtually non-existent for 2018 because you couldn't order them. the 2018's were mostly dealer orders. I wonder how many sport ecodiesels actually exist but I'm off topic.... best of luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I have a 2018 Ram Sport Ecodiesel custom ordered in that tinny window we had last year, had to wait 6 months for it during the debacle..... so I've actually had it for about a year and put about 26,000 miles on it including a trip with a 35' Avenger 8,000lb travel trailer, i posted in the towing section last year with CAT Scale slips.... I've also hauled plenty of mulch, and various other things in the truck and drive about 70 miles a day on the highway with the truck.

at about 24,000 miles I've seen a jump in the miles per gallon but I believe that is mostly related to moving to a more rural location with less top and go traffic... I'm averaging 27+ now and before it was hard to be 26 on a regular basis.
Sounds like you use your truck like we used our recently traded in Ridgeline and definitely how we will use our ED (travel trailer, hauling bulk material and as a daily driver). Re. mileage, we took sort of an "experimental" road trip to get a feeling for real world mpg. So we drove for a bit in town and then in a loop through some rural areas in open country on state highways with a total of 92.7 miles driven. MPG equaled 29.7 - per the trip meter. And a Sunday round trip to church of 13+ miles - with 6 miles of that on a 45 mph road yielded 26 mpg. So far we are very pleased with that. So sounds like we are having similar experiences.

However, I'm really early in my learning curve on our Ecodiesel, and one of the things I'm not familiar with is how accurate the truck's mileage reports are. I'd like to hear from experienced owners who can offer some insight on that topic.

Good luck with your truck, for a long time there weren't many 2018's around or on the road and I only knew of 2 sport versions of it, mine and one other on the forum and the dealer said they're virtually non-existent for 2018 because you couldn't order them. the 2018's were mostly dealer orders. I wonder how many sport ecodiesels actually exist but I'm off topic.... best of luck.
Appreciate that. When we settled on the notion of finding a somewhat gently used Ecodiesel, I was open to earlier model years with hopefully modest mileage. So when we found a pair of 2018's both within 20 miles of us, we felt pretty fortunate. These trucks are sort of hard to find if they are used, anyway. The one we didn't buy was the Silver trim and had more options but less payload capacity (~1,300+) and more miles on the truck - over 34,000. And it was just a bit more "worn" in appearance. The one we did buy was the black trim, fewer options, less mileage (21,500) but more acceptable payload (1,420).

But this was a pragmatic decision to find a comfortable and efficient traveling vehicle that would easily tow our travel trailer. Haven't hitched up yet, but we are looking forward to that experience when it comes. From all the reports you and others have shared it should be basically effortless. I'll post reports on towing in that forum when we get that behind us.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts