RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Flip that picture over and post the darn thing.

On Ebay there used to be running boards called something like "iBoards". They came in 3-6" width sizes. Easy to put on yourself, they seem to last. Think I paid something like $125 for mine at least 5 years ago. Have not looked lately but think they are still available. it was an easy bolt-on installation.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks. Ordered some yesterday on line. 3 brackets per side. They are 4 1/2" which we think will work fine. All black and aluminum. Maybe an hour's worth of work . . . Got to get them on before 7/18 when we have a couple visiting from England, and she's got bad knees . . . if they don't work for her, we may be offering a somewhat embarrassing "boost!"

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So to close this thread off and express thanks to all who chimed in, here is our new (to us) 2018 RAM 1500 Lone Star/Ecodiesel. Though we might have preferred a 4WD, finding that any gently used Ecodiesel was a rare entity, we went ahead and sprung for this one as discussed earlier in this thread. It was available at a good deal, so now it is ours.

Our overall purpose was to find a significantly more efficient traveling machine that would also offer improved economy while towing our travel trailer. Our 2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192 RBS will be no challenge at all for our truck (CAT Scale weight when fully loaded ~4,700 lbs), and we are looking forward to enjoying this combo for years to come.

(Not easily seen are the new Ionic black, aluminum running boards we - as in, my wife and I - installed yesterday afternoon in our garage.)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,952 Posts
Congrats looks sharp consider some tunes and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Sure would like to hear some updates about your trip sometime Mr. Last Train.
BTW, nice looking set up too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Nice! Shouldn't need 4x4 in SE Texas anyways.
Ha! We hardly hang around the Gulf Coast when camping (unless we go to a beach RV park). We've towed this rig In and through the Ozarks in Missouri and Arkansas, the Winding Stair and Ouachita Mountains in eastern Oklahoma, the Black Hills in South Dakota, lots of areas in the Texas Hill Country and last year the beautiful hills in southern Illinois, Indiana (Brown County State Park was spectacular!) and southeast Ohio. And just got back from the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in northern New Mexico . . . Bobcat Pass at almost 10,000', etc. All of that with our previous Ridgelines.

But to your point, we don't go off the grid much to do dry camping, so we will be fine with the comfortable and quiet ride of this RAM on paved roads. I do read discussions on some RV forums about the occasional challenge of negotiating a wet and slippery grassy site. Our Ridgeline's AWD would never have had a problem with that, but for all the camping we've done with this rig I can hardly recall a situation where we encountered such. So our RAM will be great. Now driving on the beach? That will probably not happen . . .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Sure would like to hear some updates about your trip sometime Mr. Last Train.
BTW, nice looking set up too.
Thanks and we will plan on posting occasionally over in the Towing Forum. That is one of the key reasons we went the Ecodiesel route. We don't have our next trip planned yet, but we do have a couple of thoughts about heading up to northern Minnesota maybe next year. Some family are developing a resort and RV campground near Marcell - maybe 150 miles or so south of Ontario. Ontario is a huge province (so not expecting that you would be near, of course), but it is ironic that back in the early 60's I was with an Explorer Scout Post that took a 5 day canoeing trip through gorgeous lakes in Quetico Provincial Park. Atikokan was our final jump off point - about 100 miles west of Thunder Bay (called something else back then). We didn't see another human the whole time we were portaging around rapids, hiking and just paddling. Gorgeous lakes and forests. Ironic, indeed that we might be at least somewhat near that experience from long ago.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice set up! Glad you joined our club. Please let us know the mileage you are getting after a few tows as it is always interesting, at least to me. Last note, think seriously about the GDE tune at some point. It is an amazing piece of software that will astound you with the difference it makes. Happy towing.
CanyonMan

41 - 49 of 49 Posts