RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to confess I have been obsessing over this Eco Diesel as I have a Honda Ridgeline that I love, but I am hating the 8 mpg I am getting towing around my new 3500lb travel trailer. I have located a truck I really like at a nearby dealer, but it is sitting in Detroit waiting to be shipped. We are leaving on a 4000 mile trip the last week of July to the great northwest. I am bringing the Ridge to them on Friday to "maybe" work out a deal. Here is the question. If I don't get the truck until a week before we leave, it will have less than 200 miles on it. Will hooking up to 3900 lbs considering what I add in payload and such, and head out for 4000 miles of towing cause long term harm to this thing? Is there a break in period?

This Laramie Longhorn is decked out with everything I want and then I noticed no CD player. We have gotten used to ramming 6 discs in my RL as we listen to books on tape as we travel. This is almost a deal breaker with my wife. Can this be installed at the dealer?

I have enjoyed reading all the towing posts as this whole 8 mpg is what got me thinking I need something different. We could pay 8 mpg gas bills for several trips around the entire US for the difference in price, but if I can get 27 on the highway non towing, we will use the truck more. If we drive somewhere of a longer distance, we take the Camry instead of the RL. I would want to spend more time in this luxury ride if it gets that kind of mileage. I am hoping for 14-16 towing as I read some of the posts of people pulling 7000 lbs and getting 14. Mine is chump change compared to that.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had to pull a single axle travel trailer for a friend after his ford puked up the transmission . I towed it for 100 miles and traveled 65 and 70 . Got 16 mpg . Trailer had no brakes and the transmission did most of the braking by down shifting when you took your foot of the accelerter. My truck had about 400 miles on it at the time. It has 3500 miles on it now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to pull a single axle travel trailer for a friend after his ford puked up the transmission . I towed it for 100 miles and traveled 65 and 70 . Got 16 mpg . Trailer had no brakes and the transmission did most of the braking by down shifting when you took your foot of the accelerter. My truck had about 400 miles on it at the time. It has 3500 miles on it now.
Thanks, how heavy was the trailer?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
there is no break in period - you will not cause long term damage. just use common sense. you will be fine. and i'm not making it up - there is in the owner's manual the exact wording - there's no break in period.

·
Registered
940 Posts
This truck almost likes to work. Not like my old truck that thought towing was a hardship and it was an 8.

·
Registered
556 Posts
This Laramie Longhorn is decked out with everything I want and then I noticed no CD player. We have gotten used to ramming 6 discs in my RL as we listen to books on tape as we travel. This is almost a deal breaker with my wife. Can this be installed at the dealer?
Thanks everyone!
The truck has a USB port and a SD card port. Both of those devices will hold wayyyy more than a traditional CD player, which is probably why RAM decided to make it an option. I debated it myself - and then plugged in my USB drive. If you can't put the books you listen to on those devices - pretty sure you can probably buy a portable CD drive, that connects via USB. Have not tried it myself, but no reason it should not work.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Second Tupelo if your on the web you can download that stuff on a memory card or stick. It's one of those things after you do it you want to kick yourself for not doing sooner. All the room and scratches it saves.

·
Registered
396 Posts
do you have a smart phone? just use audible and download your books on tape or you can stream them. load any disc you have to sd card. cd are like vhs and will not be available in a couple of years. should not be a deal breaker in my opinion. I have not played a cd in over 8 years.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Regarding digital books on tape, you can also check out the "overdrive" smartphone app. It links up with many public libraries and let's you download audiobooks. Free if you have a library card.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The owners manual suggests you restrict heavy hauling or towing in the first 500 miles. Not sure your trailer is "heavy", but this is what the manual states.

It also suggests varying throttle position to change engine speeds on highway drives during that time. So while there be no breakin period, theres a work in period at least.

A single disc CD player can be added in most trim levels. Plug, flash, play.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey thanks everyone for the helpful hints. You will be a great resource. Going to see if a deal can be worked out in the morning.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I got a 128 gigabyte SD card in mine with 25000 songs....works great.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You can easily put on 500miles in a week to get past that work-in-period, heck thats not even a tank of gas (sorry diesel). I think you would be fine as long as you dont hotdog while your towing and and use common sense and not push the truck too hard until you get past that barrier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts