RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
Got it back from the dealer today. They said the code was P1E0C - empty fuel tank (WTF?!) I'm not a mechanic, but I'm not a complete idiot. Truck gave no indication of low fuel...gauge wasn't pegging in the red, no fuel indicator light, distance to empty in the EVIC showed more than 100 miles. Dealer said fuel light came on for them and they banged on the tank and it sounded empty. They added fuel and drove it for about 30 miles and didn't receive any additional warnings. Hoping it was just a small glitch...
I never heard of a code for low fuel. Maybe a code for no fuel? Limp mode doesn't make sense either. I'm thinking it was some sort of glitch.

Thanks for testing the dealer with the GDE Tune. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same issue again today! Limped my way into the dealer and this time the code is P0299 (Turbo Underboost). To top it off, I blew a tire a quarter mile before I got to the dealer!

I called GDE and they said they have experienced some rare cases where this code will trip, but their newest update will correct it. Now just need to get the truck back from the dealer and do an ECM switch to send back to GDE.

I think I might have to keep the stock ECM in the back seat with a screwdriver and ratchet set, just in case a side of the road change out is called for.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Same issue again today! Limped my way into the dealer and this time the code is P0299 (Turbo Underboost). To top it off, I blew a tire a quarter mile before I got to the dealer!

I called GDE and they said they have experienced some rare cases where this code will trip, but their newest update will correct it. Now just need to get the truck back from the dealer and do an ECM switch to send back to GDE.

I think I might have to keep the stock ECM in the back seat with a screwdriver and ratchet set, just in case a side of the road change out is called for.
2nd day driving with my gde ECM, everything was going great, almost made it home and I got the same notice as you, service electronic throttle control. Difference being I just filled my tank this morning. Limped my way home. Guess I'm calling gde tomorrow.

·
Vendor
1,119 Posts
If anyone is having an issue, please contact us directly at [email protected] so we can address the issue.

Some issues regarding P0299 misdetection were found, in the latest Chrysler release they added a feature that detects underboost without any consideration of the actual boost pressure...genius.
We had to make some additional changes to revert back to the old boost detection strategy based on actual boost pressure. A few customers now have received the new tune and resolved the issue.

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
If anyone is having an issue, please contact us directly at [email protected] so we can address the issue.

Some issues regarding P0299 misdetection were found, in the latest Chrysler release they added a feature that detects underboost without any consideration of the actual boost pressure...genius.
We had to make some additional changes to revert back to the old boost detection strategy based on actual boost pressure. A few customers now have received the new tune and resolved the issue.
So will we all (with the Chrysler release version) eventually get the code or is it an isolated issue?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yes. It would be nice to at least get a date range so those of us who updated in the last month or two know what to expect. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts

Please don't interpret my frustration as being directed at GDE. Like the post said, it's more than likely an FCA issue, not GDE. Matt at GDE has been nothing but helpful during this process. They have an updated ECM already on the way to me and it's a smooth exchange process. I'm expecting nothing but good things (MPGs are already trickling down since I put the stock ECM back in this afternoon). Great customer service at GDE!

·
Registered
829 Posts

Exactly what I was looking for. Ordered my tune on Tuesday. Should be here tomorrow (Sat). Ill assume I'm good to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Seems like a strong argument for hanging on to the stock ECM. First to get out of limp mode and second to not be without a truck for a couple of days.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Um, how low was the gauge? You really don't want to make a habit of driving below 1/4 tank... Lift pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank.
It seems there ought to be some kind of warning about that in the owner's manual. It's not intuitive that driving with less than 1/4 tank of fuel would be a problem. I always keep it above half a tank when using it around town in order to avoid condensation, but I don't like the idea of refueling on a road trip when there's a quarter of a tank left.

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts

2 months and 3800 miles on early August GDE tune. Checked for codes today and there are none. So is this tune susceptible and should it be upgraded to latest release? Thanks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
2 months and 3800 miles on early August GDE tune. Checked for codes today and there are none. So is this tune susceptible and should it be upgraded to latest release? Thanks.
3800 miles, I'd say your doin pretty good. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I just bought my gde tune a couple of weeks ago, thought I would have got the latest tune, went 2 hundred miles and got a MIL. Put my stock ECM back in and no problems yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
ARGH!!! I just updated my late May GDE tune a week or so ago which is the latest I guess. No issues yet but I only have about 50 miles on it. I hope this issue was corrected prior to what I have so I don't have to send the ECU back again. Guess unless GDE chimes in I'll be calling them Monday to get an answer.

·
Registered
829 Posts
My guess is the only people with an issue are ones that got a tune based on the latest FCA update and GDE hadn't taken into account FCA's change to boost readings with a few PCM's. Only an assumption.

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
My guess is the only people with an issue are ones that got a tune based on the latest FCA update and GDE hadn't taken into account FCA's change to boost readings with a few PCM's. Only an assumption.
I agree based on GDE's reply earlier. I'm hoping this was corrected prior to two weeks ago.

·
Vendor
1,119 Posts
ECUs with this other strategy present have been shipping since mid August.

Generally the issue pops up pretty quick if your truck is going to exhibit the issue. Whether it will be an issue or not can depend on turbo tolerance, boost sensor tolerance, and if there are any pin-hole leak paths in the CAC circuit.

If all is well, we'd say leave well enough alone. Obviously if the issue has occurred just let us know and we'll get things fixed up ASAP on our dime.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts