Make​
Model​
Model Years​
RAM​
1500​
2014-2019​

October 24, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V757000
EGR Cooler May Crack and Cause Fire
Combustion in the intake manifold can increase the risk of a fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V757000
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number of Units Affected 107,979
Summary
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2014-2019 Ram 1500 and 1500 Classic Pickup trucks equipped with 3.0L Eco Diesel engines. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold.
Remedy
The remedy for this recall is still under development. The recall is expected to begin December 13, 2019. Owners may contact 1-Chrysler customer service at 800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is VB1.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
6 Affected Products
4 Associated Documents

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the same. I still don't think the database is updated though, it still shows no recall on mine.
Yea, according to the recall acknowledgement, "The recall is expected to begin December 13, 2019. Owners may contact 1- Chrysler customer service at 800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is VB1."

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And read the associated documents, especially the Chronology....interesting

·
Registered
398 Posts
The last document states that the expected number of total vehicles with this defect=100%.

So there you have it.....

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Population :
Number of potentially involved : 107,979
Estimated percentage with defect : 100 %

**10/24/2019: FCA US will notify dealers and begin notifying owners on
or about 12/13/2019

lol...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Population :
Number of potentially involved : 107,979
Estimated percentage with defect : 100 %

**10/24/2019: FCA US will notify dealers and begin notifying owners on
or about 12/13/2019

lol...
Hi: Defuse... What about Canada Eh? Who's gonna light defuse?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
100%.

Well as aptly stated - there is NO DOUBT.

That does not bode well for those knowing what this is all about. Here is a case where knowledge my not be a good thing as many want to use their trucks a lot the next couple months,

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do we know yet if this recall going to involve an ECU flash?
No software update for Egr cooler but make no mistake, if there is any outstanding ECU update your dealer will try to force it in you so talk to you service manager and make it clear to him you don't wish to update your ECM . Otherwise they will do all outstanding software updates and castrate your (engine 🤪)power delivery in the process. And there is no going back..... I have tried.

·
Registered
131 Posts
"The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold.
The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold."

I find this to be an interesting statement. Put another way; A mixture of water, antifreeze & exhaust gases may combust in the intake manifold. Would someone please explain to me how water & anti-freeze combust? I understand how the hot exhaust gases can melt a plastic intake manifold & create a fire.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Canada included, replaced mine 6 months ago after getting tired of adding coolant every few weeks. Still under extended 100k warranty.
mine too, but from what I understand, they are redesigning the egr cooler from the one we got. Obviously the old one is prone to failure so I would imagine they are rebuilding it or revamping it at the least to a better one.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 2016 M.Y. EGR cooler was replaced in May due to it leaking (and "burning" through 3 gallons of coolant). Fortunately it was covered under warranty. The question is, was the replacement EGR cooler the same piece of junk that is causing this recall, or did they update the unit at some point such that I won't need to relinquish my truck for yet another dealer service episode?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
"The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold.
The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold."

I find this to be an interesting statement. Put another way; A mixture of water, antifreeze & exhaust gases may combust in the intake manifold. Would someone please explain to me how water & anti-freeze combust? I understand how the hot exhaust gases can melt a plastic intake manifold & create a fire.
If you heat water and coolant to a certain temp, it can autoignite... yes you read that right. Coolant is flammable at a high temp ( well within the temps reached by exhaust gasses).

FCA is probably right on it here. Crack an EGR cooler, you must preheated coolant into 800F exhaust gas... It ignites and becomes a flame thrower and burns your manifold and lights up your plastic fuel supply lines.

Sionara vehicle.

Watch your coolant levels and carry a decent size extinguisher.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts