RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
The recall showed up for me today as well. I really hope the 'solution' is an actual fix and not a band-aid. I keep seeing people referring to this: https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/bulletproof-EGR-cooler-EcoDiesel-68239570AC-p/6700102.htm
I knew going into the loan for this truck I would be paying $500 a month, never EVER thought I would have to worry about a fire recall.
I really hope they offer a buyback, but I doubt that will happen.
Hi: RedRyder... I'm glad I'm not the only one that "Bit the Bullet"!!! My beautiful "Boat anchor" cost me 500 bucks (CDN) a month just to lay on the bottom of the driveway. I'm too afraid to drive it cause I haven't got an up to date will!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
168 Posts
FYI, if you own an ED originally sold in Canada and have it registered in the US it appears to be covered by the recall. My ED was originally sold in Canada but now lives in my garage in Oregon. I used the website listed in the first post, entered my VIN, and viola, the EGR recall appeared. I'm would like to think that Canadian ED owners are also included or will be shortly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
"The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold.
The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold."

I find this to be an interesting statement. Put another way; A mixture of water, antifreeze & exhaust gases may combust in the intake manifold. Would someone please explain to me how water & anti-freeze combust? I understand how the hot exhaust gases can melt a plastic intake manifold & create a fire.
If you have experience with a wood burning fireplace/stove you will know about the build up of creosote. Creosote is a highly combustible substance that often looks sticky and tar-like.

Well, mix antifreeze with diesel exhaust soot and you get build up that sticks to your intake that blocks the EGR valve from metering the exhaust flow.

This is what my egr cooler looked like after it failed. Look at the "growth" of soot. Mix in some 1500 F exhaust temp and one can only guess a "chimney fire" could happen.

The intake manifold had two holes melted in it, and when the failure occurred, there was an abundance of smoke coming from under the hood.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ingesting sooty exhaust into your engine is no different than eating your own excrement. The EGR is an evil apparatus that destroys engines, especially diesels. I know many do not like altering their vehicles, but removing or turning off the EGR is the only solution to prevent soot buildup.

The low pressure EGR setups are marginally better, but still ingest particles back into the engine. I would prefer a SCR system that increased urea consumption over the EGR.

The current EGR in our EDs appears to be the root cause of most the problems that plague this otherwise great diesel engine. Those that have eliminated it experience few problems. Will the replacement EGR cause just as many problems as the current one?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I went on car-part.com as I was curious how much used engines were going for on there for ED's.

To my surprise, quite a few of the engines are from trucks listed as BURNED, FIRE, BURNT, etc.. what the heck? How many fires has there been?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I went on car-part.com as I was curious how much used engines were going for on there for ED's.

To my surprise, quite a few of the engines are from trucks listed as BURNED, FIRE, BURNT, etc.. what the heck? How many fires has there been?
Good sleuthing on your part. Dunno how many fires there's been, probably quite a few. But I can say this: 2 days ago, I was traveling the interstate not far from here, fairly heavy traffic backup...probably 25-30 mph with some dead stop/go. I figured there had to be a wreck or something. After 20 minutes or so, I, then, got up close enough to see a huge, thick, black, smoke plume. When I finally got up there, the LEOs had the right lane all closed off and in the break-down lane was what was left of a white RAM still on fire and burning pretty hard. I couldn't stop due to traffic and time constraints to see what year, or even if it was an ECD, as the badges were engulfed in the fire. It looked like a guy with either his girlfriend or wife watching from a short distance from the side of the road.
FWIW, IMHO, the utter moron that came up with the idea of using EGR on a Diesel engine should be taken out and hanged. Especially in our situation; dumping that crap into a faulty EGR cooler, where it will get mixed with coolant to form a substance similar to creosote, that's then dumped into the style of intake manifolds we have on our trucks is a no-brainer recipe for outright disaster as you sleuthing may have indicated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Something that's a head scratcher for me is there isn't an EGR system cleaning maintenance interval listed in the owners manuals. EGR's have been on diesel cars around the world for several years now and most have maintenance intervals listed for them. Do a YouTube search for diesel engine EGR cleaning & you'll see a bunch of video's on cleaning these horrid systems. Some of them are really scary to watch!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ingesting sooty exhaust into your engine is no different than eating your own excrement. The EGR is an evil apparatus that destroys engines, especially diesels. I know many do not like altering their vehicles, but removing or turning off the EGR is the only solution to prevent soot buildup.

The low pressure EGR setups are marginally better, but still ingest particles back into the engine. I would prefer a SCR system that increased urea consumption over the EGR.

The current EGR in our EDs appears to be the root cause of most the problems that plague this otherwise great diesel engine. Those that have eliminated it experience few problems. Will the replacement EGR cause just as many problems as the current one?
Good question. Is FCA to be trusted at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
644 Posts

On principle I agree. What I don't understand is this doesn't appear to be a rampant problem across all brands. Why is the VM Mortori EGR setup so prone to failure? Cummins EGRs have leaks but the soot build up isn't as bad from my readings.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Logged into mopar.com and the recall was listed, but the fix is TBD. I am currently deciding what to do with my 2014 ED with 162K miles. It still runs pretty good, but I have had to replace the water pump and a hose that was leaking coolant, cost around $2,500. I really want to keep the truck, but I'm afraid that at any moment the bottom will fall out and I'll be stuck with a $8K+ repair bill. I was thinking of buying a 2019+ Rebel or maybe even a F-150 Raptor. Something with a beefy unleaded engine to avoid all this nonsense.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Logged into mopar.com and the recall was listed, but the fix is TBD. I am currently deciding what to do with my 2014 ED with 162K miles. It still runs pretty good, but I have had to replace the water pump and a hose that was leaking coolant, cost around $2,500. I really want to keep the truck, but I'm afraid that at any moment the bottom will fall out and I'll be stuck with a $8K+ repair bill. I was thinking of buying a 2019+ Rebel or maybe even a F-150 Raptor. Something with a beefy unleaded engine to avoid all this nonsense. View attachment 84279
Assume you are tuned?

If you made it to 162k, I'm pretty sure you got a good bottom end. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not tuned, I was actually scouring the forums for a good ECU tune. I'd like one that removes the damn turbo lag when trying to drop the hammer, but I live in CA and have to deal with all the EPA non-sense...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not tuned, I was actually scouring the forums for a good ECU tune. I'd like one that removes the damn turbo lag when trying to drop the hammer, but I live in CA and have to deal with all the EPA non-sense...
Wow, driving your truck for 162k miles and not tuned!! Have you ever had your intake replaced? Cleaned the EGR pipe, etc?

·
Registered
255 Posts
No 😭 Just oil changes, that's pretty much it. I did have to do a exhaust regen earlier this year.
You absolutely need to find someone near you with a tuned truck so you can try driving it. It is a night and day difference, I am not sure how you went that long with lag, slowness, etc!

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's been brutal, the lag is scary especially when trying to merge into a busy intersection. I just tried to order up ECUs from GDE but they said they can no longer sell them due to recent EPA changes...

41 - 60 of 107 Posts