RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
cant believe FIAT is letting them stay on the road. 2 car seats in back of mine. Wondering if I would be able to get them all out in time.
I wouldn't be driving a non-tuned ED truck around with two kids in car seats in the back..

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Logged into mopar.com and the recall was listed, but the fix is TBD. I am currently deciding what to do with my 2014 ED with 162K miles. It still runs pretty good, but I have had to replace the water pump and a hose that was leaking coolant, cost around $2,500. I really want to keep the truck, but I'm afraid that at any moment the bottom will fall out and I'll be stuck with a $8K+ repair bill. I was thinking of buying a 2019+ Rebel or maybe even a F-150 Raptor. Something with a beefy unleaded engine to avoid all this nonsense. View attachment 84279
I am looking at the Rebel as well. Since I drive low miles I usually sell before 100K miles, which I consider the the cost of owning a gasser to a diesel to be equal. So, I would actually be ahead by going to a gasser. Unfortunately, I love the way diesels run... and therein lies the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any update on this from the Canadian side and how you guys are getting treated at dealerships?

Noticed a coolant leak a few weeks ago and and had to top my coolant up with their over priced coolant.

I'm going to have to bring it in soon it sounds like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 50k miles my 2016, it needs a EGR cooler. The dealer says they ordered a replacement of the same part. I'm so torn on what to do with this truck. Any word on when the new EGR cooler is getting here?

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I have 50k miles my 2016, it needs a EGR cooler. The dealer says they ordered a replacement of the same part. I'm so torn on what to do with this truck. Any word on when the new EGR cooler is getting here?
save this link to your browser : look for line where it says VB1 ( 13th line ) April 9th 2020
FCA / Mopar updates the page when newinfo comes in .

some dealers have received some of the new EGRS , they fit them to trucks that have been parked at
dealers for a long time , and for which FCA has supplied a replacement vehicule ,
if you have a truck with a failed EGR already , you will get your EGR before people
who have not failed yet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
save this link to your browser : look for line where it says VB1 ( 13th line ) April 9th 2020

some dealers have received some of the new EGRS , they fit them to trucks that have been parked at
dealers for a long time , and for which FCA has supplied a replacement vehicule ,
if you have a truck with a failed EGR already , you will get your EGR before people
who have not failed yet.
For those not familiar with that link, it seems the document is updated every Friday and either posted late Friday, or first thing Monday

·
Registered
134 Posts

who have not failed yet.
Unrelated, I wonder what the priority is for dealer inventory. They have to be wanting to unload all the "do not sell"s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just discovered the crack yesterday after the truck overheated to 245 degrees in oil and water. Added a gallon of OAT coolant and it was fine. Called the dealer today and they are overwhelmed with the problem. They were very negative sounding on the phone and stated they will replace it with the same EGR and wait for an official fix, then fix it again. I’m worried about the potential damage it could cause in the engine/emissions system. A gallon of 50/50 cannot be good for the SCR or anything downstream. I guess if there is damage, a check engine light would come on?

Also informed the dealer of an oil leak near the timing cover.

It’s my mom’s truck and I am having second thoughts about buying a 2021 EcoDiesel myself. I am buying a diesel something, just not sure what yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 M.Y. EGR cooler was replaced in May due to it leaking (and "burning" through 3 gallons of coolant). Fortunately it was covered under warranty. The question is, was the replacement EGR cooler the same piece of junk that is causing this recall, or did they update the unit at some point such that I won't need to relinquish my truck for yet another dealer service episode?
it is the same one. The new one is supposedly under development.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had my EGR replaced a few weeks ago. Truck has 50k miles on it. They only had the truck for about a week. I noticed my fan was kicking on at weird times and checked the temp, coolant was at 230, it was down to about 25% coolant In the plastic tank. I've decided to keep the truck until the warranty runs out, I have the AEM update. I think about a year and a half is left on my powertain, I figure if everything is covered its worth keeping for a while. How long does the warranty on the emissions equipment last for?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does this mean if I got the AEM at 30k it only lasts until 78k? Or 125k?

"The warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual
miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and
mileage of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first."

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Sorry Zd426 , I did not go thru the file because none of it applies to us in Canada ,
you being in UK I wonder if you are in the same boat , that would be the first thing to clarify ,
the AEM is a USA/EPA mandated emission modification , FCA is pushing it on Canadian owners with no $3075 US
and without the extended warranty , did you get paper work to claim the $3075 US when the AEM was apllied on your truck ?? ,
if not , you are in same boat as us Canadians , really sucks , and quality of the AEM sucks also ,
your best hope for longevity of your truck is getting a GDE Hot Tune , they do not sell to US owners
anymore since sept 18 2019 EPA crackdown , bujt it is business as usual for other countries around the world ,
page says sold out , but it is not ...
Ram - GDE - Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Hot Tune -

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my $3k from them. This forum seems like its sponsored by GDE or something. I swear. I may try a SFT tune soon.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
You got the $$$$ , so the extended warranty stuff in the file applies to you .
Enjoy the extended warranty .
pointed out GDE because their tune makes regeneration interval 6 times longer apart
than the stock tune , ask around about SFT tune '' regen intervals '' .......
your choice , anything is better than stock tune .

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
I got my $3k from them. This forum seems like its sponsored by GDE or something. I swear. I may try a SFT tune soon.
Actually GDE supported the forum for a long time, providing much information and a quality product that dramatically improved performance and reliability to many Ecodiesel owners. We were saddened to see them being forced to pull out of the U.S. market.

SFT was a spin-off that refused to be even reasonable on the forum, let alone support it. They were banned after much misinformation was spread. As it turned out they have been able to continue marketing their products in the U.S.. There are few reported issues and they are probably a positive choice for Gen 2 Ecodiesel owners. Of course, they may be the only choice.

Now you can elect to get a GDE clone through HD Diesel Supply in Canada. That is an option if you can source outside the U.S.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm not particularly satisfied on the way GDE has handled their shutdown, but they do (did) offer a superior product. I bought my GDE tune and installed on my Ram at 1,000 miles. I have SFT in my wife's Jeep Eco, I picked picked up MR tuning for my truck thinking a little extra power would be nice. If there is more power on the other tunes I can't feel it. Torque Pro app puts the GDE hot tune and MR Tuning +40HP tune within 5hp and 10 ft lbs tq of one another.

But the reduced regens and better warm-up and other "extras" of the GDE make it far superior to the alternatives. Of course if you haven't experienced GDE, you can go buy SFT and you'll probably think you've struck gold. You try to be "different" and ignore the "GDE Fanbase" here, but I've tried three different options and I feel like the SFT tune for my wife's Jeep was wasted money.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Does this mean if I got the AEM at 30k it only lasts until 78k? Or 125k?

"The warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual
miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and
mileage of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first."
The warranty covers the longer of 10 years or 120k of total miles. Unless you were already over 120k or near it, then it switches to the 4 years/48k miles additional.

141 - 160 of 181 Posts