RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not particularly satisfied on the way GDE has handled their shutdown, but they do (did) offer a superior product. I bought my GDE tune and installed on my Ram at 1,000 miles. I have SFT in my wife's Jeep Eco, I picked picked up MR tuning for my truck thinking a little extra power would be nice. If there is more power on the other tunes I can't feel it. Torque Pro app puts the GDE hot tune and MR Tuning +40HP tune within 5hp and 10 ft lbs tq of one another.

But the reduced regens and better warm-up and other "extras" of the GDE make it far superior to the alternatives. Of course if you haven't experienced GDE, you can go buy SFT and you'll probably think you've struck gold. You try to be "different" and ignore the "GDE Fanbase" here, but I've tried three different options and I feel like the SFT tune for my wife's Jeep was wasted money.
Us Californians are limited.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold.
The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold."

I find this to be an interesting statement. Put another way; A mixture of water, antifreeze & exhaust gases may combust in the intake manifold. Would someone please explain to me how water & anti-freeze combust? I understand how the hot exhaust gases can melt a plastic intake manifold & create a fire.
I currently have my 14 eco diesel in shop a month so far for EGR cooler
Problem, I thought truck caught fire it melted wires and anything rubber or plastic in the compartment to be honest i would have been better off if it would have burned 83k miles and nothing but problems thank god I bought extended warranty it spent 6weeks in shop just for air suspension projection head light went out it spent another 3weeks for that and then wanted to charge me 1k and said it wasn’t covered so I had to call customer service check engine light is always on went into limp mode for Dif every time it’s in for oil change there is a new recall can’t wait to get rid of it going back to Chevy or gmc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold.
The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold."

I find this to be an interesting statement. Put another way; A mixture of water, antifreeze & exhaust gases may combust in the intake manifold. Would someone please explain to me how water & anti-freeze combust? I understand how the hot exhaust gases can melt a plastic intake manifold & create a fire.
I wouldn’t believe it if it didn’t happen to me there telling me the new EGR cooler is revised but I don’t believe it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So question on this recall. I had my truck fixed in March for this. I was told at the time the recall wasn't fixed and that it would still need to be done.

My understanding is the part has changed? I got a notice for the recall last week, I assumed the part was in finally to get it done properly. I just got a second notice today saying oh sorry your truck is fine now and doesn't need the recall. The repair was sufficient.

I'm not exactly thrilled about this. If the original part was a fire risk and they used it again, imo the repair wasn't satisfactory.

Anyone else dealing with this? I called FCA customer care and made it clear to the guy I was recording him. I asked him if the part has changed and he would only say "All I can tell you is the repair is satisfactory" I asked him if the old part was a fire risk and you used it again when there's a new one how can you say its satisfactory and he would just repeat the same bs line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I still don’t have my Truck back yet a month and a half into this they had to order new wire harness because they were all melted.They gave me a loaner pickup for now I will get back to post and let you know if it is the same or an upgraded revised part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just discovered the crack yesterday after the truck overheated to 245 degrees in oil and water. Added a gallon of OAT coolant and it was fine. Called the dealer today and they are overwhelmed with the problem. They were very negative sounding on the phone and stated they will replace it with the same EGR and wait for an official fix, then fix it again. I’m worried about the potential damage it could cause in the engine/emissions system. A gallon of 50/50 cannot be good for the SCR or anything downstream. I guess if there is damage, a check engine light would come on?

Also informed the dealer of an oil leak near the timing cover.

It’s my mom’s truck and I am having second thoughts about buying a 2021 EcoDiesel myself. I am buying a diesel something, just not sure what yet.
I have a 2014 limited eco diesel love the look the ride with air suspension the mileage I get, but with 83k I am sorry to say I will never buy a ram again has been more at dealership for repairs,check engine light, recalls and now egr cooling pipe which truck almost caught fire waiting for it now for 5 weeks so far
last time it was in it was in for 6 weeks for head light which they wanted to charge me 1k to repair and said that it wasn’t covered under warranty and my front shock was leaking which they changed the pump first before they figured out what it was. My suggestion is if you want a diesel get a 2500 and be done which is what I’m doing when I get mine back from dealer.i had a 2004 2500 Chevy which I used for towing sold it at 150k I wanted a truck with a smoother ride and better mileage which is what I got but not worth the headache.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I called my local dealer Tuesday after I got the latest notice. They had just rcvd the new EGR's and I dropped my truck off today. I do NOT have a aftermarket AEM so I want the new flash as it addresses the sad ass tune from the ECO Lawsuit that made the truck lag so bad off idle. I kept mine stock since I got an additional 48K/4yr warranty as part of the law suit. Anyway, they also renewed my oil change program as part of the lawsuit as I bought the 9 changes originally, so I was stoked, 3075 bucks back, 48K/4yr added warranty and another 90K miles worth of oil changes. My 2014 ECO truck has been trouble free and I have 95K miles on it.

So dealer just called and said, we need to keep your truck into tomorrow to finish the work. We found that your intake was "sooted" so we ordered a new one and it will be here tomorrow morning. Your truck will be ready by the afternoon. We also replaced your fuel filter while we were in there. All of this is covered, no charge to you.

My truck is paid off. I got additional 48K/4yr warranty over the original, 3075 bucks back and oil changes to take me up to 180K miles. I am driving this thing till it blows up, burns up or dies. I am very happy with my ECO diesel overall and will buy a RAM/Dodge product again if they have something I like. My experience has been great. I cannot complain about how Dodge has treated me or how my truck has performed for the last 6 years. I know everyone doesn't feel that way and for the guys that had less than a good experience, I get it, but me? I am a happy camper.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I called my local dealer Tuesday after I got the latest notice. They had just rcvd the new EGR's and I dropped my truck off today. I do NOT have a aftermarket AEM so I want the new flash as it addresses the sad ass tune from the ECO Lawsuit that made the truck lag so bad off idle. I kept mine stock since I got an additional 48K/4yr warranty as part of the law suit. Anyway, they also renewed my oil change program as part of the lawsuit as I bought the 9 changes originally, so I was stoked, 3075 bucks back, 48K/4yr added warranty and another 90K miles worth of oil changes. My 2014 ECO truck has been trouble free and I have 95K miles on it.

So dealer just called and said, we need to keep your truck into tomorrow to finish the work. We found that your intake was "sooted" so we ordered a new one and it will be here tomorrow morning. Your truck will be ready by the afternoon. We also replaced your fuel filter while we were in there. All of this is covered, no charge to you.

My truck is paid off. I got additional 48K/4yr warranty over the original, 3075 bucks back and oil changes to take me up to 180K miles. I am driving this thing till it blows up, burns up or dies. I am very happy with my ECO diesel overall and will buy a RAM/Dodge product again if they have something I like. My experience has been great. I cannot complain about how Dodge has treated me or how my truck has performed for the last 6 years. I know everyone doesn't feel that way and for the guys that had less than a good experience, I get it, but me? I am a happy camper.
This is very typical of the vast majority of ownership of these vehicles. Enjoy and Motor On !

·
Registered
1 Posts

I picked up mine used, and right now have 242,000 on my 2014 with the 4/48 just started. so I think you'll be driving yours quite a while.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone have the new part number for the EGR cooler?

I'm preparing a package for Transport Canada

It's ridiculous that right on my bill it says this is intern repair and recall isn't done. Yet now it's good enough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone have the new part number for the EGR cooler?

I'm preparing a package for transport Canada.

Its amazing, on my repair bill it says this is a intern fix and recall not completed. Yet now it's good enough.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie
6 Posts
So question on this recall. I had my truck fixed in March for this. I was told at the time the recall wasn't fixed and that it would still need to be done.

My understanding is the part has changed? I got a notice for the recall last week, I assumed the part was in finally to get it done properly. I just got a second notice today saying oh sorry your truck is fine now and doesn't need the recall. The repair was sufficient.

I'm not exactly thrilled about this. If the original part was a fire risk and they used it again, imo the repair wasn't satisfactory.

Anyone else dealing with this? I called FCA customer care and made it clear to the guy I was recording him. I asked him if the part has changed and he would only say "All I can tell you is the repair is satisfactory" I asked him if the old part was a fire risk and you used it again when there's a new one how can you say its satisfactory and he would just repeat the same bs line.
Hello, just joined. Came searching for a part#. So let me quickly share my Ecodiesel story, and some pics.
I had coolant issues, always low and truck ran hot. dealer said normal.. then it and overheated 3 times, side of the road in traffic.. dealer finally admits theres an issue..thats 23k miles, dropped off Aug 19,2019. A week later found out the EGR was bad, codes: P245B, P00AF. Also told that it would be a week or so to get parts. Two weeks goes by, now the Turbo is bad, internal actuator failure, needs replaced. Finally Sept 11,2019 pick up the truck, tech tells me that was the worst one he's done.
New part# 68483334-AA descr Cooler Eng 14038024. A week goes by, I tow my trailer with lumber to replace a deck (4,000 lbs total) and truck acts weird, sluggish.. but drove "ok", then check coolant and its low again! I tell the dealer, plus now it starts slow with a short high pitched whine so it needs more attention. They so no parts available, if it dies then call them. (paraphrasing, but basically..) Then the recall hits, Oct 19. Then the other day I check my service stuff and notice the Recall has been "Completed" wtf? No letter, nothing. Does anyone have part # before and after? Any difference? Pics showing my "affected" parts, the body off shot still shocks me. Though yes its easier to get to everything but wow.. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Welcome to the site Omega , look at the sticker on your EGR , the date of manufacture is on it ,
I don't know of any new beefier EGR with date prior to DEC 2019.
Absolutely identical from the outside ,
only manufacture date will tell you if you have old model EGR.
here June 2013 on a 2014 , and other miscellenous stickers .

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie
6 Posts
Hi Kazimodo, the dealer got back to me. They confirmed I need a new egr for the recall and appologized for the recall system issue. There are optional items to replace depending on condition. They have the egr cooler but need a bolt kit which has not been released yet for 2018's and a fuel line kit. My intake was so bad the first time and having all the pictures they agreed to replace what "optional" parts are associated with the egr recall to avoid issues later. Was told it would be a week or two. Will update with new service pics and hopefully a job well done...

·
Registered
744 Posts
I got a call from the dealer to see if I wanted to get it done late last week. Been busy with other stuff so I put it off until Wednesday and called them to say that I wanted it done. They had to order it so I don't know when it will be done. I got into panic mode today trying to remember where I had Put my original ECM for safe keeping. If you saw inside of my garage, you would understand the panic. Finally found it after 20 minutes of looking. Right where I left it. Now it is inside the truck waiting for me to install it. Might have to send the tuned one of to GDE for the most current update while I have the changeout done. With this covid the Eco has been lonely for the past 3 months, with only being used 2 times to get building materials for the basement. It at least got up to temp before coming back to roost. Hoping to be able to put it to work in mid July pulling the TT to go family camping. It will be at least an 11 hour run one way.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie
6 Posts
Update: The saga continues... went to start it last monday, engine cuts off and cel came on. Was heading to the dealer anyway so actually kinda helpful in proving what a pain this is... They kept it thru thursday, cel issues was EGR Temp Sensor. The boost readings were in high 20's idle they replaced the turbo again(thinking it was part of the squeal issue). Since the 1st egr cooler replacement back in Sept 19 it has had a weird tea kettle whistle/squeal during start up which goes away and power has been worse, turbo lag also seems worse. The dealer checked other Ecodiesels on the lot and none make that noise and seemed to drive better. They put a STAR case in to FCA and we're now waiting to hear back. I notice whenever I tow (no more than 6k) it has an issue within a week or two. Yes I did tow about 2 weeks ago and look what that got me, back to the dealer. Any thoughts?

161 - 177 of 177 Posts