RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this may not make a lot of friends, but as they (tfltruck) guys have not posted up their video/results of the Ram 1500 ED, we are stuck with this for the moment. be prepared to shake head just a little bit.

its the Cherokee ecodiesel with the same 8 speed and it does, well, really bad, in this test. 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel Takes On The Extreme Ike Gauntlet Towing Test [Video] | TFLCar.com: Automotive News, Views and ReviewsThe Fast Lane Car: Auto News, Views, and Reviews

now i get that its not same gearing and its not same frame/suspension....but it IS the same transmission and engine and this video has me really wondering about the ED's ability to work when needed.... especially when looking at some of the other 1/2T test results, and being they treat each truck the same, same payload, its pretty interesting to see the results.

now supposedly they HAVE done the same test with the Ram and maybe we'll see some better results, but i have a suspicion we are going to see some very similar feedback. bottom line is the truck still has to compete with the other choices in the 1/2T segment and right now that's probably the F150 ecoboost in terms of direct competition.

man sometimes i hate having too much information :):eek:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The result seems reasonable to me at max load on a very steep grade with no tow/haul mode. They were passing semis and RVs. Why expect to go over 50 mph? :confused:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Stirring the pot.....

·
Registered
369 Posts
so they overloaded it and still got 15.3 mpg going up a steep grade...........not too shabby! to quote them.....they set the bar!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well - I will chime in first.

I think we first have to acknowlege there are some siginificant differences between the Jeep and the RAM.

1) The Jeep does not have a Tow/Haul mode as is clearly indicated in the first few minutes of the Video.
2) The Jeep has a 3.45 gear ratio - while the RAM has a 3.55
3) A torture test was already done on the RAM where they loaded it up to 10000 pounds, and ran a similiar test. They saw the same heat issue, but the Truck still pulled it up the hill at a reasonable speed - and cooled off very quickly once the grade leveled out.

So it is an interesting video - but all it really showed is a Cross Over vehicle, over loaded (or at Max) and still able to make a decent speed up a large grade. It was towing a load that should have been towed by a Truck - and doing it ok.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no chris - you might want to look at the other 1/2T videos to get the answer to why.... because the other 1/2T trucks held 60mph towing 10K .... and the ecoboost not only held 60MPH, it kept accelerating. the bottom line is these are the choices in the 1/2T segment that the ED is competing against. its a pretty valid test as all trucks are put through the same situation, and you are getting real world data. the cherokee video i'm willing to cut some slack on because the Ram SHOULD do better, but until the video is up to watch the Jeep test provides the closest comparison.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Tupelo - the Ram they tested was the Hemi, not the ED.... they are going to post an ED video and it will be with 3.92 gears. like i said, i get the Jeep is not a Ram - but the same engine & transmission are in use and that is to me a valid data point. the same point holds true regarding payload and towing; put the Ram with a 7K trailer and a payload of 1200 lbs - 10% tongue weight - now down to 500 lbs of REMAINING payload and you are in the same situation as the Jeep. its a little concerning to me and i think a fair discussion to have for people evaluating the pros & cons. i haven't cancelled my order based on this, but it does raise some concerns that i want to fully understand before making a purchase.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You should buy an ecoboost! What an amazing truck!!!! Wow

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I can't wait till tony weighs in on this....

Reactions: westondan

·
Registered
236 Posts
The same motor/trans is a bad way to try and argue that they are the same...

They are not close. Jeeps gears are 3.45s vs my 3.55s and others 3.92's, Plus they do not have Towhaul on the jeep. They didn't have the adjustable trailer brakes on the jeep. Nothing ratio wise matches up this isn't near as good of a comparison as you are saying Jeffj.

But with all that stated, It was being maxed out on a grade that 80% of the user will never once see empty let alone maxed out. AND it still managed 15.3 I am willing to bet no other 1/2 ton(excluding the RAM ED) gets double digits MPG maxed out on this grade and they are set up for towing unlike this jeep which is a crossover that has some towing capability.

Not a very good comparison at all.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I can't wait till tony weighs in on this....
Well... dang.

I need to do some work. But I will read/watch later today.

But as always... why test to overload? Besides, as I've said a bunch of times, it's not an HD truck.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
jeez its like my words i put in the post become invisible .... like i said i knew it wasn't geared the same .... like i said i knew the Ram would do better ... but it IS the same engine and it IS the same 8 speed and THERE is some data out of this that is a little concerning and until the Ram ED video is posted THIS IS THE CLOSEST we have. they have done the SAME test with every other 1/2T truck, why wouldn't you want to see the Ram ED as well? this group is rapidly becoming fan boy like other forums, how dare anyone suggest an alternate opinion... unless you work for Ram and made the damn truck, why are you taking any remote hint of criticism so personally? anyway how about just delete the thread. i'll make sure to only ever post any thread that says the Ram ED is the best at being the best in everything it needs to be the best at...

@Dr Honda - these guys test each truck the same, which includes up to recommended, and then another test at over because generally assumed at some point in time, people will have a tendency to overload either payload (which several of you have done and stated) or towing (same...). they aren't trying to cause a failure as much as show "here's whats going to happen". if they are doing the same test to all vehicles, i don't have a problem with taking their findings as another data point. to each their own.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not saying that out side opinions are bad or that there isn't trucks that are better or will be better. BUT it is pretty off base to try and say that they are "some data/Closest thing to" a RAM 1500. The only thing that is the same is the motor and the trans. BUT to try and say that they are close is as far off as can be. They are not, everything from the Gear Ratios, Frame, Tires, weight, Braking, Trans Tuning(towhaul), it I 100% a different vehicle compared to the RAM 1500.

Now if you are saying man the jeep just isn't enough to compete with the Ecoboost F150/ect ect. Then yes the Jeep Ecodiesel doesn't have enough lead in its pants to keep up with 1/2's. I agree 100%.

Trying to say well this is closest thing we got to compare it isn't. Should they have the RAM ED do the same test yes they should. It might be the top performer and it might be last. BUT lets see what RAM does.

No hard feelings I just do not like Apples vs Oranges comparisons.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Nope, I'm not going to delete, discussion is the lifeblood of any great forum. Looking back on some of your started threads it's seems you have A Lot of doubts/nervousness about this truck!
At the end of the day you are a welcome member and I enjoy the topics you post as I am sure others do as well. When you post you tend to interject a lot of opinion as well, it's that opinion that I think people tend to jump on....
Lastly some thicker skin wouldn't hurt, people are bound to disagree!! Discussion is great!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Knowing and having driven the same road they tested on more than a few times (that being I70, west of Denver), it's no joke, even for an unladen car/truck it can be a bear. Hopefully they'll test on it again with an actual truck, but the GC really didn't do all that bad IMO.

·
Registered
556 Posts
@Tupelo - the Ram they tested was the Hemi, not the ED.... they are going to post an ED video and it will be with 3.92 gears. like i said, i get the Jeep is not a Ram - but the same engine & transmission are in use and that is to me a valid data point. the same point holds true regarding payload and towing; put the Ram with a 7K trailer and a payload of 1200 lbs - 10% tongue weight - now down to 500 lbs of REMAINING payload and you are in the same situation as the Jeep. its a little concerning to me and i think a fair discussion to have for people evaluating the pros & cons. i haven't cancelled my order based on this, but it does raise some concerns that i want to fully understand before making a purchase.
Actually the test I am referring to is here -> 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Review: Towing and MPG Fuel Economy. And here -> Trailer Towing - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel vs. 2014 Ram 2500 - Sibling Rivalry - Diesel Power Magazine Page 2.

You are correct to be concerned on payload numbers and people should calcuate it properly. But it is better to look at the testing for the vehicle in question, rather then looking at product that is similiar - but not quite the same.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would be fine with that performance as a trade off for the MPG. That being said, I look at it like this.

1. I will have tow/haul mode.
2. I will have 3.92 rear end.
3. For me, towing uphill is always the exception, and while I would love to hold 75 MPH, I can live with slower speeds if needed.

I have been driving a 1994 Chev 6.5TD for 20 years. I spent 6 months driving every ford, GM, and RAM 3/4 ton diesels that I could get my hands on. I was willing to buy a decent one with 100k miles, but the +$30K became the price tag for a solid used truck, and I hated the way they all drove. I could not see spending $50k or $60k on a new truck that got 20 mpg or less (11 mpg towing) and that I was parking most of the time because of fuel economy. The RAM with the ecoDiesel became a game changer for me, because it was an obvious choice for a daily driver with the luxurious ride and great fuel economy.

This 1500 Ram has about 3000 lbs more towing capacity than my 1994 chev 2500 6.5 TD. I knew going into this that this truck would not be a crazy mind blowing diesel HP/Torque that was passing everyone on a tough grade. I don't need it for dragging a skid-steer around every day, but will tow my toys about 25% of the time. I think this config is the most well rounded truck the industry has ever seen, and is close to "having it all". I feel like my only real gamble here is buying a 1st generation configuration like this. Historically, thats not a very wise move.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I agree with some of your points just as an example (although the jeep comparison I give no credence to)... I dropped 57K on my limited, knowing that it was NOT the most capable half ton! Not by a long shot!! But it does return almost 30mpg's and does everything I ask it to and I am sure it will take anything I can throw at it occasionally. For example I have an approx. 9000# load I am towing 600km this weekend. I am sure the truck will do it fine even though it. Is only rated for 7500#.... ( I will post some pics next week)

Reactions: mhintze

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think the vehicle did fine given it was overloaded and not optimized for this type of towing and as stated earlier most drivers will not experience this type of grade. I also liked the crotch shot of the blonde in the back seat. Sorry, could not resist.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@chris - yes, i'm 100% a bit 'nervous' about the ED because it is an entirely new class of 1/2T truck, which is probably the single most competitive class of car/truck/suv in north america. i have spent HOURS probably more than i should admit, reading on nearly every aspect of this truck, going back to other forums from 2011 and reading almost every post about the VM, or the transmission, or the common rail system, there's not one part of this truck that i have not researched... combining those to make the Ram 1500 ED means its a brand new platform.

so i want to see it proven, tested, the pros & cons and i want to see them compared against the other choices in the 1/2T segment. i am a truck guy, suv guy who in the last 5 years has had a GMC Yukon, GMC Acadia (what a pos that thing was) a Tundra, a Tacoma, a 4runner... i am a car/truck addict, last count since my wife and i have been married (17 years) we've had 40+ cars. so yea, i will be incredibly cautious before i buy anything and if i don't like it, i'll be very quick to get rid of it and move to something else.

there's not a video or road test done that i have not seen (including the ones linked to by Tupelo). the ike gauntlet is the one missing test and the one that is going to be the most telling because it is available for the other 1/2T competitors. i want to see the results (i actually have contacted TFLtruck guys) because in the end, i want to know what i'm giving up for what i'm getting. in this case that in all likely means power/payload/capability for the sake of efficiency (MPG); in order for me to determine if those are worth the trade off i have to see someone test.

its not like i can ask my local ram dealer if i can borrow a ED to test like these guys can, so i want the ability to see their results as a data point. i don't think there's anything wrong with that.

the other 1/2T choices are a known entity - you can find just about anything about any of them; the Ram ED being new means we are going to be a little limited until more get on the road, feedback from owners like you, and ability to see it tested in the same way the others were.

again, its a given that when the Ram ED video/results are shared it is going to be better than the Jeep; what the question will be is, is it competitive to the others tested or does it significantly lag? i want to know the answer before i sign for a $45K truck...

1 - 20 of 91 Posts