RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes things go bad at a good location. Most of the time it is the other way around. Fortunately today I was lucky to be unlucky at the right place.

We were loaded up to go to get groceries (yes I use my truck to get groceries because it is 25 miles to the grocery store and that's what I bought it for-to use) and all of a sudden in the driveway the A/C quit. Kinda strange so I figured it was a glitch in the matrix and shut the truck down and restarted. The A/C light came on, but no cool air. I think I recall reading about someone having no heat and it being a belt so I shut the truck off and looked under the hood and sure enough the accessory drive belt was not on the pulley for the A/C compressor. As I looked further I saw the idler pulley was seized. Hopefully a few good parts will make it all better. I plan to replace the belt, idler pulleys and the tensioner. Glad it happened in my driveway and not halfway to the coast towing the Airstream with the wife, pets and son in the truck. If this would've happened in a few days from now that is the scene that could've played out. Luckily we have the new Sequoia.

Kinda pissed that at 93,000 miles I had the water pump replaced and the belt and pulleys weren't replaced like they do at the BMW and Toyota dealerships when the water pump is replaced.
Cheap plastic shit.
Here's a picture of the little melted plastic ring that was near the idler.
Wood Circle Art Metal Fashion accessory

The wife's confidence in this truck is almost completely gone.

Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 CC Laramie
I had mine fail on a towing trip. Some wooden blocks to raise the front up and a nice truck stop did the trick. Serpentine belt broke but I replaced both idlers and tensioner. Those idlers are cheap plastic pieces of sh**. Happened around 80k miles.

Registered
I had mine fail on a towing trip. Some wooden blocks to raise the front up and a nice truck stop did the trick. Serpentine belt broke but I replaced both idlers and tensioner. Those idlers are cheap plastic pieces of sh**. Happened around 80k miles.
They are plastic on all cars now. Its not the plastic that fails. Its the bearing. Then locks up and the belt melts the "non turning" plastic pulley.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I ordered the parts from an online Mopar parts seller. About $100 for the two pulleys and a new belt. The tensioner is about $200. I skipped the tensioner for now. Is there any way to test the tensioner?

Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 CC Laramie

You can save a few bucks here. Gates is oem brand, mopar then stamps there name on it. I used the one from ID parts and it's outlived my stock tensioner.

Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Limited, 4x4, crew cab, air ride
Sometimes things go bad at a good location. Most of the time it is the other way around. Fortunately today I was lucky to be unlucky at the right place.

We were loaded up to go to get groceries (yes I use my truck to get groceries because it is 25 miles to the grocery store and that's what I bought it for-to use) and all of a sudden in the driveway the A/C quit. Kinda strange so I figured it was a glitch in the matrix and shut the truck down and restarted. The A/C light came on, but no cool air. I think I recall reading about someone having no heat and it being a belt so I shut the truck off and looked under the hood and sure enough the accessory drive belt was not on the pulley for the A/C compressor. As I looked further I saw the idler pulley was seized. Hopefully a few good parts will make it all better. I plan to replace the belt, idler pulleys and the tensioner. Glad it happened in my driveway and not halfway to the coast towing the Airstream with the wife, pets and son in the truck. If this would've happened in a few days from now that is the scene that could've played out. Luckily we have the new Sequoia.

Kinda pissed that at 93,000 miles I had the water pump replaced and the belt and pulleys weren't replaced like they do at the BMW and Toyota dealerships when the water pump is replaced.
Cheap plastic shit.
Here's a picture of the little melted plastic ring that was near the idler.
View attachment 92555
The wife's confidence in this truck is almost completely gone.
Not sure what Toyota dealership you use but I had a nearly identical experience with a 3.4 in a Taco a few years back. Luckily it wasn't the timing belt pulley on the Taco! And my wife traded the Taco off shortly after that little break down.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure what Toyota dealership you use but I had a nearly identical experience with a 3.4 in a Taco a few years back. Luckily it wasn't the timing belt pulley on the Taco! And my wife traded the Taco off shortly after that little break down.
Don Ringler Toyoya in Temple, TX did all the service on our old '02 Sequoia. That old Sequoia never once left us on the side of the road in the 17 years and 170,000 miles we drove it. About 30,000 of those miles were towing our 6,500lb Airstream. I did spend a lot of money on the crappy brakes though. It was very dependable but was underpowered, underbraked and got terrible gas mileage. The gas mileage wasn't much of a consideration when we bought it in '03. Gas was about 85 cents a gallon then.

Registered
You'd think, but I guess not. I paid about $1,100 for the water pump replacement.
If you paid $1,100 for the water pump replacement and didn't have the tech replace the belt and pulleys at the same time, isn't that on you? ;)

I made a list of the parts I plan to have replaced next year.

4627897AB (Serpentine Belt) $30.07
4627851AA (Cooling Idler Pulley) $32.12
4627312AA (Idler Pulley) $22.25
68325057AA (Belt Tensioner) $197.52

Reactions: HYDREX

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The way you describe it, it sounds like I'm the guy actually talking to the mechanic working on the vehicle. It isn't like that. I talked with a "service advisor" who, in other dealerships I've been to, like BMW and Toyota, recommend associated maintenance based on the task. In my opinion the service advisor is supposed to be someone who knows the vehicle and the normal things that 'need fixin' and do a good job of advising owners about the service and repair of their vehicle. A simple "Hey Mr. EcoDiesel owner, we recommend you replace these parts now because you're only 8,000 miles from when we recommend they be replaced and it would save you some labor cost and potential breakdown to do it now." We had no such conversation. Had I known that a $30 idler pulley that has a reputation for failing would fail in the next 10,000 miles, I wouldn't have hesitated to have them replaced.
It's great that you have a plan to replace these parts, but your plan comes from other people's experience with failures that you've read about here as well as the service recommendation to replace the accessory drive belt at 100,000 miles. Few people are reading car and truck forums gnashing about every little detail of their truck. People deserve to have service departments that can make reasonable maintenance and service recommendations. They do exist in this world, just not at CDJR service in my experience.
At most, you might say that not having the belt replaced at 92,000 miles is "on me" because it is written in the service schedule to replace at 100,000 miles. However, the belt did not fail, the idler pulley did and there is no mention of idler pulleys in the OM that I' aware of.

If you paid $1,100 for the water pump replacement and didn't have the tech replace the belt and pulleys at the same time, isn't that on you? ;)

I made a list of the parts I plan to have replaced next year.

4627897AB (Serpentine Belt) $30.07
4627851AA (Cooling Idler Pulley) $32.12
4627312AA (Idler Pulley) $22.25
68325057AA (Belt Tensioner) $197.52

Registered
The way you describe it, it sounds like I'm the guy actually talking to the mechanic working on the vehicle. It isn't like that.
I had my water pump replaced under warranty at 93,000 miles. It's rare for a belt or idler pulley on the EcoDiesel to fail in the first 150,000 miles. For that reason, I didn't opt to have mine replaced either. With that said, I always talk to the tech who will be working on my truck. When I had the water pump replaced under warranty, I bought the coolant crossover tube that is known to leak at the o-rings and had the tech replace it. Being proactive is good.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The parts are supposed to arrive today so I figured I'd take it apart. Kinda sucks doing this in the street in the heat of a Texas summer. Also-battery dead.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Door Tread Tire

Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Road surface Tire

Registered
@Top has inspired me to go ahead and order parts.

Gates Green Stripe K060812HD (Serpentine Belt) $24.95
Mopar 4627851AA (Cooling Idler Pulley) $36.65
Mopar 4627312AA (Idler Pulley) $24.45
Gates 39343 (Belt Tensioner) $169.95

Reactions: keiths487vs and Top

Registered
The parts are supposed to arrive today so I figured I'd take it apart. Kinda sucks doing this in the street in the heat of a Texas summer. Also-battery dead.

The mailman brought a box this afternoon and I managed to brave the heat and get it put back together. I鈥檓 going to leave the cover off for now.
at least you could have waited till it warms up 馃槵:oops:馃槀馃槀

I can only say this cause I spent 8 years in the Houston (Spring Tx) area 馃槵 o_O

Reactions: Top

Registered
Not to derail this thread, but a hot day to me is 85*F. That's when I stop working. The other day it was 57*F when I was cutting wood. ;)

Registered
I've got a squeal/squeak that kicks in only when towing (cuz the RPM's are consistently higher...?) and I'm thinking it's the idler above the A/C compressor. I don't mind doing the job but from my understanding it's a pain getting the cover off to get to the pulleys, etc.

Thoughts?

Bob

Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Limited, 4x4, crew cab, air ride
I've got a squeal/squeak that kicks in only when towing (cuz the RPM's are consistently higher...?) and I'm thinking it's the idler above the A/C compressor. I don't mind doing the job but from my understanding it's a pain getting the cover off to get to the pulleys, etc.

Thoughts?

Bob
Sounds like a boost leak vs a squealing accessory drive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts