RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Limited, 4x4, crew cab, air ride
18 Posts
Sometimes things go bad at a good location. Most of the time it is the other way around. Fortunately today I was lucky to be unlucky at the right place.

We were loaded up to go to get groceries (yes I use my truck to get groceries because it is 25 miles to the grocery store and that's what I bought it for-to use) and all of a sudden in the driveway the A/C quit. Kinda strange so I figured it was a glitch in the matrix and shut the truck down and restarted. The A/C light came on, but no cool air. I think I recall reading about someone having no heat and it being a belt so I shut the truck off and looked under the hood and sure enough the accessory drive belt was not on the pulley for the A/C compressor. As I looked further I saw the idler pulley was seized. Hopefully a few good parts will make it all better. I plan to replace the belt, idler pulleys and the tensioner. Glad it happened in my driveway and not halfway to the coast towing the Airstream with the wife, pets and son in the truck. If this would've happened in a few days from now that is the scene that could've played out. Luckily we have the new Sequoia.

Kinda pissed that at 93,000 miles I had the water pump replaced and the belt and pulleys weren't replaced like they do at the BMW and Toyota dealerships when the water pump is replaced.
Cheap plastic shit.
Here's a picture of the little melted plastic ring that was near the idler.
View attachment 92555
The wife's confidence in this truck is almost completely gone.
Not sure what Toyota dealership you use but I had a nearly identical experience with a 3.4 in a Taco a few years back. Luckily it wasn't the timing belt pulley on the Taco! And my wife traded the Taco off shortly after that little break down.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Limited, 4x4, crew cab, air ride
18 Posts
I've got a squeal/squeak that kicks in only when towing (cuz the RPM's are consistently higher...?) and I'm thinking it's the idler above the A/C compressor. I don't mind doing the job but from my understanding it's a pain getting the cover off to get to the pulleys, etc.

Thoughts?

Bob
Sounds like a boost leak vs a squealing accessory drive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts