RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a pair of blue (1,000 #) Sumo Springs today. Fairly easy job. The only thing I did that wasn’t in the written (included) instructions was putting some blue locktite on the bolts attaching the springs to the included mounting plate. The remaining nuts were nylon locknuts. I did not use the included spacer. When the job was complete and I lowered the rig I saw that the springs were touching the rest on top of the axle. The manufacturer suggests having 1/4-3/4” gap between the plate and the spring when the truck is unloaded. I have a Diamondback bed cover, tools, snow chains, tow chain, etc in the bed which probably adds up to 300+ pounds. Drove around a bit and the rear end felt a little stiffer but nothing to get excited about. Can’t wait to pull my trailer.

·
Super Moderator
3,235 Posts
Yeah be interested in your towing & bed loading reports. I know with an axle to frame bag setup the rear suspension support, dampening, and road compliance when heavily loaded +1,000 pounds over rough road is dramatically better. This is what I want to know about this type of spring. How well it does in a range as then it would fill the bill without messing with air.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My used truck came with a yellow accordion style rubber block set up and it basically rests on the axle unloaded depending how much air is in the coil spring air bag. Biggest problem is hitting a dip in the road where the axle comes up to meet a truck thats dropping and it hits the block with a wham!
Loaded you'd never think its sitting on a rubber block for as nice as it rides

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I purposely drove faster than normal over a double set of train tracks that were different elevations and it was quite a bump. The back and responded nicely and it was an uneventful and comfortable track crossing. The blue Sumo Springs did well but the real test will certainly be a trailer tow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts