RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Motofab 2" leveling kit installed I ordered it on Ebay for $52.99 had it installed and truck realigned for $100.00 I really like it I might go ahead and order the 1" back lift too. But for now this will work, I plan on putting some 1.jpg 94R Series - Black Alloy Wheels wrapped in LT285/65R20 Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 2.jpg

here a quick pic of the level on the truck i'll get some better one's tomorrow

20140410_141827.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sweet! i put a 2" leveling kit in my 2012 and never got the same mileage I would get in my 2009. Could you let us know what it does to your fuel mileage over the next week or so. New ED is due in 4/17 and unsure if another leveling kit will effect the fuel mileage again. Thanks...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Newbie to pickup trucks and need to ask a "dumb" question....................what is the functional purpose of a "leveling" kit ? Beyond the obvious of what the term "level" means, what does this do to the suspension or ride quality ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did not effect anything except my mileage (I think). The leveling kit was the only difference between my 2009 and the current 2012. I would get 20 MPG on trips I-95 and what not but with the 2012 only squeaked out 17-18 MPG. Added up on trips to MN and FL, ect....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was already thinking the same thing but I have been running level kit plus 35's on my previous 5.9 & 6.7 was getting 14/17. I filled up today so i'll let you know how it does this week. Just on the trip meter I've went 55 miles at 26.1 mpg. Wind was crazy today as well. Over 2350 miles and I have been avg 27 daily driving.

If I can avg 25mpg daily when I switch to the 285/65r20 il be more than extremely happy.

Reactions: gauge306

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did you have your speedo re calibrated for the taller tires? If not, all numbers are going to be somewhat inaccurate. I'm about tho go from 265/70/17 to a set of 285/75/17, about 2.8" taller tire and fewer revs per mile.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I get thw tires and rims on I'll have it redone. Factory set up is 275/60r20(33") the 285/65r20(34.8"). From what I've heard it'll throw it off about 5 mph at 65/70 but like I said when I get them ill recalibrate it then.

·
Registered
13,807 Posts
So it's a wheel spacer that moves the tires out? How does the "up" come in?

Assuming it does somehow move the front coils up, what about the shocks. Are they now overextended?

If up, then how is that level? Would not level be the truck unmodified? Now, when you add some tongue weight your headlights will be blinding oncoming drivers as low beam becomes high and high spots airplanes. Now you have to tilt the seat forward to see over the hood which is now up. That gets you a stiff neck, disability, lowered income and you lose the truck.to the repo man.

Just remember you paid to do that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it's a wheel spacer that moves the tires out? How does the "up" come in?

Assuming it does somehow move the front coils up, what about the shocks. Are they now overextended?

If up, then how is that level? Would not level be the truck unmodified? Now, when you add some tongue weight your headlights will be blinding oncoming drivers as low beam becomes high and high spots airplanes. Now you have to tilt the seat forward to see over the hood which is now up. That gets you a stiff neck, disability, lowered income and you lose the truck.to the repo man.

Just remember you paid to do that.

Well for starters it does not move the wheels outward. Its a strut spacer that is installed atop of the strut. It does not affect shocks at all and truck still rides/drives same as before.

Its technically not actually level the truck still has over a 1" of rake left with the rear higher(Front 38 1/2" high / Rear 39 1/2 high?. With the Timbren bump stops when I loaded my Bobcat on the 18 foot equipment trailer today my trucks rear dropped down the 3/4" till the Timbren's caught. My truck appeared to look 100% level I put tape on it the front was at 38 1/2" from concrete to fender rear at 38 3/4.

Truck unmodified has a very large rake in it on the newer body styles. Now one of the biggest reasons I putt leveling kits on all my truck I do a lot of farm work. Normally I install a 285/75r18 AT tire on my 2500 and 3500 srw trucks in the past. lets me go in any weather to check my cattle.

Headlights are still fully operational and have no issues unless you are extremely over weight and you have your trailer with to much on the nose and not balanced.

As far as seeing over my hood I stand 6 foot 3-1/2" I don't drive with my chair back all slouched like a "gansta". I'm one of the few people I know at my height I raise my chair all the way up in height and I also keep my chair almost straight up and down because I find that to be the best place for me. I always get truck with adjustable foot pedals and I slide them all the way to the back.

So long story short. I like my truck to be a 1" rake empty, level loaded. I need/enjoy the AT tires to get my day to day operations done with out getting stuck. And I do not have any problems seeing or any pain from the way I sit, and I have never been bright lighted with out cause, nor have my lights ever been in the sky on bright

·
Registered
127 Posts
My leveling kit installed on top of the front struts/shocks. Mechanic drops out the front wheel and installs a "block" on top where the strut/shock is mounted. Re-installs with kit provided longer bolts and there you have it a 2" front end lift leveling it out with the rear bed height. I think any higher and then you have to extend steering linkage and what not. After installment you should get an alignment ASAP. Looks good on my 2012 crew cab but still think it robbed me a 2-3 mpg due the effect on the aerodynamics. Not positive but only difference between my 09 and 12.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Keep an eye on your ball joints. Ram redesigned the Upper Control Arms on the 2013+ trucks. The result with a level kit (spacer or bilsteins) is the ball joints pop out of their socket. The only way to prevent this with a level at this time is to replace the Upper Control Arms with a set from ZONE.

From what I've read on other forums it had become so common that Ram has released a service bulletin.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well for starters it does not move the wheels outward. Its a strut spacer that is installed atop of the strut. It does not affect shocks at all and truck still rides/drives same as before.

Its technically not actually level the truck still has over a 1" of rake left with the rear higher(Front 38 1/2" high / Rear 39 1/2 high?. With the Timbren bump stops when I loaded my Bobcat on the 18 foot equipment trailer today my trucks rear dropped down the 3/4" till the Timbren's caught. My truck appeared to look 100% level I put tape on it the front was at 38 1/2" from concrete to fender rear at 38 3/4.

Truck unmodified has a very large rake in it on the newer body styles. Now one of the biggest reasons I putt leveling kits on all my truck I do a lot of farm work. Normally I install a 285/75r18 AT tire on my 2500 and 3500 srw trucks in the past. lets me go in any weather to check my cattle.

Headlights are still fully operational and have no issues unless you are extremely over weight and you have your trailer with to much on the nose and not balanced.

As far as seeing over my hood I stand 6 foot 3-1/2" I don't drive with my chair back all slouched like a "gansta". I'm one of the few people I know at my height I raise my chair all the way up in height and I also keep my chair almost straight up and down because I find that to be the best place for me. I always get truck with adjustable foot pedals and I slide them all the way to the back.

So long story short. I like my truck to be a 1" rake empty, level loaded. I need/enjoy the AT tires to get my day to day operations done with out getting stuck. And I do not have any problems seeing or any pain from the way I sit, and I have never been bright lighted with out cause, nor have my lights ever been in the sky on bright
TC, thank you for the explanation.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gyeah I had heard the same thing. But everyone I have talked to and just about everyone who has add the 1 or 2 inch says they have had zero problems. All the people who have done the 2-1/2 and 3 have all said they had to replace them due to it popin out.

·
Registered
576 Posts
TC, in what part of Oklahoma are you? What type of Cattle do you run?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We live near Grove Oklahoma. We had over 400 Reg. Brahma cattle in 2006 but when we stopped showing on the circuit. We kept the top 50 head and the rest are just commerical cross with black and red Angus bulls now with some slight Brahma influence in the cows.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We live near Grove Oklahoma. We had over 400 Reg. Brahma cattle in 2006 but when we stopped showing on the circuit. We kept the top 50 head and the rest are just commerical cross with black and red Angus bulls now with some slight Brahma influence in the cows.
Small world, my mother grew up near Grove. I spent many summers there as a child. Have not been back in decades, though.

Note that there is a Mopar 2" lift kit that some dealers will install. It's pricey but there is no question about the vehicle warranty which can be a sticking point with aftermarket lifts.

Lazy summer day near Grove, Oklahoma, 1971
OK 1971.jpg

·
Registered
576 Posts
My brother and his family lives in Tulsa. His wife grew up in Enid.

We run a sheep ranch. This new truck will be used for that. I plan on removing the box on the truck and adding a Aluminum flat bed. Maybe a custom built one. Just need to find time to design it first. Lambing season is starting now. I run custom sheep on grass 365 days a year. A three way cross that does very well in my environment and market.

Hope you enjoy your truck. Mine is supposed to be built on 4/19.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This girl is hands down my Favorite cow I have she's PBR Ms. 59/96. My kids can ride he bareback when I put her show halter on. Here is a photo incase some of ya'll don't know what a Brahman is

20131108_150156.jpg

Reactions: Sasquatchilly

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well here's a update, I added the 1.5" rear spacers from Motofabs a few weeks ago. It took me and a buddy a few hours and a couple 6 packs.

Here she is with the 2" front and 1.5" rear spacers from Motofabs.

2pqucm8.jpg
15cbwh0.jpg

Front with my 35s
oa40og.jpg

Rear tire
sn13yo.jpg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts