RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Limited with 3.55 rear end. It's got 175K and its mint inside and out. Motor is clean as well. So far it feels excellent. Being a bit of a convoluted package I figured I better join a forum, by the way I'm in Minnesota.
I have had it for about a week now and I have noticed my MPGs are between 14 and 16 even though I've been trying to hyper mile at 55 and 65 mph to test the efficiency. Also I had a pickle the first time I drove it more than a few miles where there appeared to be an ice dam in the filler neck preventing Diesel from being able to go into the tank from the filler nozzle. I theorize that the the return style fuel system was Heating the fuel in the tank. Causing the air inside the tank to condense. Subsequently steam was transiting up the filler neck, freezing near the opening making an ice dam.

I poured a bottle of heat into the filler neck and I watched steam rise out of the hole and the slight sound of sizzling. I assume that was the heat melting the ice. Then I put about 20 gallons in. Before this process there was one quarter tank and the truck was stalling, I had to restart it with an extended crank for a few blocks to get it to the filling station. So far that seems to have fixed it, when the truck either sucked up the bad fuel or an air bubble or whatever cause the motor to stall. The message service electronic throttle-control appeared on the dash at the time of stalling. However I think that is just related to the motor stopping unexpectedly.

The temperature around here has been as cold as -20 the last couple days and it is of course winter in Minnesota. Is it a vitriolic horror to run out of diesel in this motor as it was in that era gone by? Does anybody have an insight or opinion to share about my poor MPG? I realize winter fuel isn't as good as summer fuel but the truck is rated at 27 Highway. I am also aware there has been emissions recalls and being that I purchased from a dealer I assume those recalls have been performed but I will check. My dad owns a 2014 A6 3.0 TDI and apparently my truck and his car have the exact same ZF 8HP70 transmission. With the possibility being that mine might be the second of three revisions, not sure I'll have to check the serial number or manufacture date to find out. I did buy an extended aul warranty at the time of purchase which can be prorate refunded or transferred to a new owner.

I have ordered some hot shot Secret Diesel Extreme and winter anti gel on Amazon. Curious about their stiction Eliminator oil additive. Has anyone tried that? Opinions on these things?

Also I am in search of a scan tool that can perform simple functions like ABS pump activation on both the truck and a6 tdi to do our brakes at home. There are a lot of products out there and I would like to get one device that would work on both of our cars, without spending a whole bunch of money. Any reccomendation what to get?

Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Your mpg's are pretty darn low in my opinion. Certainly winter fuel has something to do with it, but I wouldn't think that much. I have never got below 20 no matter how hard I've road it. I would guess the previous owner traded it in because of that. I would also go back to the dealer and pressure them to figure out why such a low mpg.

There is an outstanding recall to replace the EGR tube in all EcoDiesels right now and nobody has had that one done yet as parts are still being assembled.

As far as the stalling, I don't think it had anything to do with your fuel level unless perhaps there was some water in the tank from sitting at the dealership? Keep an eye on the coolant. Any drop indicates a cracked EGR.

I can't speak to any additives, I just try to buy fuel where there is some heavy turnover so it's "fresher"....

Good luck! It's a great truck when running properly, but the emissions have caused quite a few problems. Do some serious searching on this site, but keep in mind, many more folks post that have problems. Those that don't just keep on trucking. :cool:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Make sure to clean your MAP sensor. Lots of posts using search will be found with full instructions to do it. It may have never been done and will affect fuel mileage.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
My 2015 unexpectedly stalled a few times with the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" message. The check engine light went away every time and it didn't happen for a while. It has not happened since I got a new battery. Yes, I'm telling the truth.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'm in MN also. Your mpg is very low. I don't have any recommendations on what to check, but I'm sure others will chime in (in addition to whats above). I don't use any additives in either fuel or oil. Sounds like you've got a great truck! Having the extended warranty will give good peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator
3,983 Posts
These engines run better when warm, if the outside temp is below 0°F you should have the winter front on and all holes closed up. Using the block heater helps gets the engine up to temp faster.
I'd dump the fuel filter/water separator, check for water, and replace the filter.
Don't use any additives that contains alcohol in diesel fuel systems that have HPFP. Alcohol doesn't remove any significant amount of water and when the two are mixed together, it's more corrosive than water alone.
You want to use a de-emulsifier to help separate water/moisture out of the fuel.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Jacobsen:
I live across the river from you in Wisconsin.
The temperatures have been brutal and my ED suffers from quite the drop in mpg during cold snaps, but not as low as yours. I am sitting at about 18-ish or so but I have been pulling a trailer a little bit, otherwise just running around locally I might get 20 during weather like we are having.
Make sure you have the winter front on or you will have problems. The dealer that I purchased my truck from told me to have it on any time the temp was below 32F, which is from now until July. LOL
I use Hot Shots Secret EDT. Don't know if it does any good but I doubt that is doing any harm. What is interesting is the EDT smells the same as XPD diesel treatment, but the EDT is a lot less expensive.

Not much help but keep us posted.

·
Registered
127 Posts
your mileage is similar to what I got last winter. like others said use the winter front cover, and use your best judgement on the block heater. I don't use mine, but the truck is in the garage every night.

I have seen several posts lately about Hot Shots, and they have convinced me to test out the extreme and EDT. I just filled the tank this morning along with extreme, I'm anxious to see the results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for the comments.

Today I did just a little bit of reading and it looks like there is a running commentary about cleaning the EGR pipe and the map sensor. When I removed them they were extremely coked. Along with the inside of the intake manifold, looks to be a quarter inch of artificial Coke wall inside the manifold. Also running my finger inside the EGR valve revealed dry crusty Coke. I noticed there is coolant leaking from the EGR along the passenger side of it. I'm worried about my purchase at this point, I will contact the warranty service and see what they say for a dealer visit. I took it for a test drive after cleaning the map and the EGR tube and didn't see any change in MPG however I didn't expect to. I'm suspecting that the swirl valves and the intake valves are probably seriously coked. From my reading the valves automatically spring open and there is and actuator that closes them at idle speed. I have to imagine that all of the turbo, intake piping, intercooler, EGR and PCV components are coked up like the intake is. This was a single owner lease that ultimately purchased the truck. They turned it in and I'm the second owner. The truck is immaculate except the mpg and coolant leak. I'm jealous of those Getting over 30! I guess the question is, is the truck capable of that considering the coke build up? I would like to investigate what the turbo looks like, I might look into that for the next step. The remote start was not working and the check engine light illuminated when the truck stalled. There was not a stored code for the electronic throttle control as I thought there might be due to the warning message. These are related to the fuel system. 3 of them are permanent, scantool can't clear them. However now the remote start works. I didn't get the front cover with the truck and the motor cover was missing. I'll have to get the grill cover I assume you mean. I park this thing in the garage, the manual states the heater is mandatory for starts under -10. I used to live in st croix falls. Lots of great wilderness in wi. Theres 2 grill covers I see from my googling. Fia is 90 bucks and mopar 125.

·
Super Moderator
3,983 Posts
I park this thing in the garage, the manual states the heater is mandatory for starts under -10. I used to live in st croix falls. Lots of great wilderness in wi. Theres 2 grill covers I see from my googling. Fia is 90 bucks and mopar 125.
Mopar winter grill cover with flaps:
82213959AC (it's on Amazon for $112 right now).
Close off the lower holes last, open them first.
Use the block heater anytime it's below freezing, the faster the engine gets up to temp will help with the fuel economy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just purchased a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Limited with 3.55 rear end. It's got 175K and its mint inside and out. Motor is clean as well. So far it feels excellent. Being a bit of a convoluted package I figured I better join a forum, by the way I'm in Minnesota.
I have had it for about a week now and I have noticed my MPGs are between 14 and 16 even though I've been trying to hyper mile at 55 and 65 mph to test the efficiency. Also I had a pickle the first time I drove it more than a few miles where there appeared to be an ice dam in the filler neck preventing Diesel from being able to go into the tank from the filler nozzle. I theorize that the the return style fuel system was Heating the fuel in the tank. Causing the air inside the tank to condense. Subsequently steam was transiting up the filler neck, freezing near the opening making an ice dam.

I poured a bottle of heat into the filler neck and I watched steam rise out of the hole and the slight sound of sizzling. I assume that was the heat melting the ice. Then I put about 20 gallons in. Before this process there was one quarter tank and the truck was stalling, I had to restart it with an extended crank for a few blocks to get it to the filling station. So far that seems to have fixed it, when the truck either sucked up the bad fuel or an air bubble or whatever cause the motor to stall. The message service electronic throttle-control appeared on the dash at the time of stalling. However I think that is just related to the motor stopping unexpectedly.

The temperature around here has been as cold as -20 the last couple days and it is of course winter in Minnesota. Is it a vitriolic horror to run out of diesel in this motor as it was in that era gone by? Does anybody have an insight or opinion to share about my poor MPG? I realize winter fuel isn't as good as summer fuel but the truck is rated at 27 Highway. I am also aware there has been emissions recalls and being that I purchased from a dealer I assume those recalls have been performed but I will check. My dad owns a 2014 A6 3.0 TDI and apparently my truck and his car have the exact same ZF 8HP70 transmission. With the possibility being that mine might be the second of three revisions, not sure I'll have to check the serial number or manufacture date to find out. I did buy an extended aul warranty at the time of purchase which can be prorate refunded or transferred to a new owner.

I have ordered some hot shot Secret Diesel Extreme and winter anti gel on Amazon. Curious about their stiction Eliminator oil additive. Has anyone tried that? Opinions on these things?

Also I am in search of a scan tool that can perform simple functions like ABS pump activation on both the truck and a6 tdi to do our brakes at home. There are a lot of products out there and I would like to get one device that would work on both of our cars, without spending a whole bunch of money. Any reccomendation what to get?

Thanks.
I know I am from the South but Amsoil has some great product that can help you guys in the cold country. They are located in Superior, WI so they know all about the cold weather and what is needed to keep a truck or car going in sub-zero weather. But their products work great down South in 100 f weather also. This just one of their products for fuel.
Diesel All-In-One Product Image
More Details
Diesel All-In-One

Product Code: ADBPCN-EA
AMSOIL Diesel All-In-One (ADB) combines the superior detergency and improved lubricity of AMSOIL Diesel Injector Clean, the excellent cold-flow and anti-gelling properties of AMSOIL Diesel Cold Flow and the increased horsepower and cetane of AMSOIL Cetane Boost in one convenient package. It is safe for use in all diesel fuels, including biodiesel.

I just sold my 1995 Dodge 2500/ Cummins 4X4 with over 250,000 miles. I ran Amsoil in it from the day I brought it home from the dealer. We waited over six months for it to come in but when we got it home we change all the fluids from front to back to Amsoil and it has had Amsoil fuel treatment for 24 years with every fill up. We have had no mechanical problems out of any of the running gear. We hated to see it go and we kept it looking new but wife said it had to go if we were going to get a 2020 Ecodiesel

Just had to show it off. After the sale headed to new home. We did get to see it one more time when they came back to see us about our 2016 Prius. The Wife got a new 2019 Prius my turn for a new truck.;)

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Agree with being concerned about your purchase. With such high mileage and probably not tuned, your findings are actually quite good for a stock system run in a normal manner. That's what happens when you run without turning off or eliminating the EGR. You cannot avoid it. They are all like that.

Now it is good you have mechanical ability. Since you are long, long out of warranty, get rid of all that stuff. Contact maybe HD Diesel, pay rather "big money" but get a full delete of all emissions equipment in the engine and the exhaust. With a proper tune to keep things running. and a good motor' you will then be good to go.

If you don't do some variation of that the "worms will continue to craw out of the can you opened".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts