RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just my 2015 ram 1500 ecodiesel longhorn limited it had 57k I've had the truck for about two weeks now and my CEL light just popped up.
I read the code which is p04DB and I did a little research an found a lot of info about the worst case scenario. I had noticed I was a little low on coolant so I figured I would check my oil too just in case and sure enough I found my missing coolant!!  So my question is could a bad oil cooler be the cause of both the CEL and the coolant in oil problem?

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow an see what they want to about it! But if it's just the oil cooler causing the issue I'll just get the H&S oil cooler kit and get rid of that problem.

Will the h&s oil cooler kit void factory power train warranty?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well when I checked my oil after work it looked like the dipstick had coolant on it so when I got home I drained the oil. I didn't see any coolant in oil like I thought, maybe just condensation? But oil was still way over full, it went about two inches above the max line. Could that cause CEL light to come on? The oil was also very Airiated an I will check in morning to see if maybe coolant will settle in oil, because I still lost half my reservoir of coolant somewhere?

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,898 Posts
I have to wonder if it is diesel fuel that has overfilled your crankcase? If it was water or coolant in the oil, most likely came out looking like cream soup. The aeration probably from hitting the crank
An oil analysis will tell you what in there.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just a suggestion.

The dip stick in our trucks is a real pita. I habe had it show 1 inch over full after an oil change but it actually is an issue with oil getting dragged up the tube.

You can confirm this buy just dropping it without seating the seal. For me the seal and seating it is about and inch. Then the dipstick shows 1 inch down from full. Seems strange because that would be a 2 " drop not a 1 unch drop.

Secondly. I dont think there is anyone who has not had to add a little coolant to the truck in the first year. I did, and it basically stayed at that level. If you keep having to add coolant, you do have a problem.

My coolant wad down an inch or so after a year. No symptoms but i noticed it and had them add coolant. It was in for oil changes and they didn't notice it, so if you don't, i expect it will just be that way.

If your oil doesn't look bad. Get the dealer to add more coolant and monitor. If it goes down again, i would bring the truck back.

Doing an oil analysis is also like others have mentioned good advice on a new used vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,600 Posts
Just a suggestion.

The dip stick in our trucks is a real pita. I habe had it show 1 inch over full after an oil change but it actually is an issue with oil getting dragged up the tube.

You can confirm this buy just dropping it without seating the seal. For me the seal and seating it is about and inch. Then the dipstick shows 1 inch down from full. Seems strange because that would be a 2 " drop not a 1 unch drop.

Secondly. I dont think there is anyone who has not had to add a little coolant to the truck in the first year. I did, and it basically stayed at that level. If you keep having to add coolant, you do have a problem.

My coolant wad down an inch or so after a year. No symptoms but i noticed it and had them add coolant. It was in for oil changes and they didn't notice it, so if you don't, i expect it will just be that way.

If your oil doesn't look bad. Get the dealer to add more coolant and monitor. If it goes down again, i would bring the truck back.

Doing an oil analysis is also like others have mentioned good advice on a new used vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
If you check it before starting it after an oil change it should read high, the filter and other parts of the motor are empty leaving a higher level in the pan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am going to go ahead and do an engine oil analysis and finish doing an oil change on it. I will also top the fluids off an see what she does over then week or two. I may also pressure test cooling system before adding out to make sure it’s not going in there.
What oil does everyone recommend running in these?
And what coolant do we need to use in these trucks?

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,763 Posts
Owners manual will tell you the specific oil but believe it's supposed to be rotella 10W40. has to meet a certain spec for synthetic diesel oil. The autoparts store should have that info too.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,600 Posts
Owners manual will tell you the specific oil but believe it's supposed to be rotella 10W40. has to meet a certain spec for synthetic diesel oil. The autoparts store should have that info too.
5w40 rotela T6 is what the manual states there are other brands you can use but should be a 5w40 synthetic with the proper certification/approval which can be found in your manual.

The coolant will have a part number on the top of the overflow bottle. The cheapest/most available place to find it I have found is at wallgreens... don't laugh but they do have it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I have all the fluids topped off an a oil sample takin ready to be shipped out. I did Get a change to take a video of something else my truck does randomly. The engine while at idle will just randomly start fluttering an sometimes you can even see it on the rpm gauge. Here the video an let me know what you think?
I swear this truck drove great when I t st drove it around ?
https://youtu.be/pMH10K1vEkc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts