RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its not a daily driver anymore so it took a while to hit that last 20K. Mostly used like a farm truck, picking up things too big to carry any other way. Recently hauled a Trencher about 60m round trip but that's a long drive for the truck these days.
I've had the original GDE since about 50k I think. I put it on as soon as I started popping codes due to soot build up. Haven't had a problem of that nature since. Ripped out the Airbags last year. Replaced driveshaft, Hubs. 4WD actuator sticks but that's about it.

·
Super Moderator
4,024 Posts
Agreed after installing the GDE tune seeing the orange check engine light becomes rare. (y) EGR turned off the intakes no longer fill up with soot. No more engine fires.
Here is my engine after 415,000 of T6
Automotive tire Font Bicycle part Gear Engineering

After 423,000 miles here is my intake. (Never had the EGR on) In fact it has returned to service in another forum members truck.

Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive engine gasket Automotive tire

Unfortunately the engine had a cracked head plus so it was never returned to service. Let us know when you hit 200,000 miles. :)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Its not a daily driver anymore so it took a while to hit that last 20K. Mostly used like a farm truck, picking up things too big to carry any other way. Recently hauled a Trencher about 60m round trip but that's a long drive for the truck these days.
I've had the original GDE since about 50k I think. I put it on as soon as I started popping codes due to soot build up. Haven't had a problem of that nature since. Ripped out the Airbags last year. Replaced driveshaft, Hubs. 4WD actuator sticks but that's about it.
Hi: mikeyoungvcu89... I hope you didn't hit 150 to hard. I'm trying to make it to 100 before the "Big bang"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Agreed after installing the GDE tune seeing the orange check engine light becomes rare. (y) EGR turned off the intakes no longer fill up with soot. No more engine fires.
Here is my engine after 415,000 of T6

After 423,000 miles here is my intake. (Never had the EGR on) In fact it has returned to service in another forum members truck.

Unfortunately the engine had a cracked head plus so it was never returned to service. Let us know when you hit 200,000 miles. :)
Amazing how clean these engines run without the EGR circulating crap throughout the engine. Vern, no wonder the mechanics were stunned when they tore down that engine - I'm sure they've never seen a gas engine that clean, let alone a diesel.

Now if the lower end bearing problem could only be solved...

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,024 Posts
TwoBobs It's looking like they got the slip bearings issue resolved with the 2020+ trucks. You know towing gets no babying. Almost always 2k+ rpms so plenty of oil pressure. Our results so far..
371k pushed a head gasket
423k cracked a head
452K High pressure pump imploded
517+ So far from the Canadian poster but no idea of its duty cycle.

To me this suggests that rpms & oil pressure up, proper oil, perhaps add a good tune and that they are not doomed to fall on the sword.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Agreed, GDE tuned and T6 seems to be a winning combo. The higher oil pressure is never a bad thing especially with these engines. The odds are heavily in our favor with this setup for years of trouble free miles for sure.

·
Registered
549 Posts
TwoBobs It's looking like they got the slip bearings issue resolved with the 2020+ trucks. You know towing gets no babying. Almost always 2k+ rpms so plenty of oil pressure. Our results so far..
371k pushed a head gasket
423k cracked a head
452K High pressure pump imploded
517+ So far from the Canadian poster but no idea of its duty cycle.

To me this suggests that rpms & oil pressure up, proper oil, perhaps add a good tune and that they are not doomed to fall on the sword.
Did you have the fuel system replaced when the HPFP blew? Or did you move to a 2500?

I'm hopeful the duty cycle on mine keeps the engine intact. Nearly all my miles (180,000 at the moment) are highway with about 8000 a year towing our 6400 pound travel trailer. All my Blackstone analyses have come back great and other than the turbo coolant line I haven't had to do anything with the engine. The GDE tune keeps the oil clean and since it gets up to temp and stays there my fingers are crossed that the oil galleys and passageways remain clear and get the 5W-40 where it needs to go.

If I can get to the 371K your first engine got to I'll be thrilled.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
4,024 Posts
The 452K mile fuel pump implosion was on James motor. Because it filled a cylinder with shrapnel it was replaced. Sounds like you might TwoBobs just keep racking up the miles.

Reactions: TwoBobs
1 - 9 of 9 Posts