RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically just where is the raw diesel fuel squirted into the exhaust during regeneration?

Seems there are two locations for that. One is into the intake during the exhaust cycle. That can and does dilute the oil with fuel. The other is into the exhaust header before the Diesel Oxidation Filter (DOF) built in front of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). If that filter starts to or gets plugged because of too much "easy" driving in city or not towing, that filter has to get burned off.

Now after that, the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is injected into the front of the Selective Catalytic Converter to convert NOS into Nitrogen and water.

Forget the additional EGR system to lean out the intake. Where is Ram adding the raw diesel to clean the DPF with the 3.0?

·
Registered
274 Posts
They inject it into the exhaust stroke. The duramax is the motor that injects directly into the exhaust pipe. Everything else is into the motor on exhaust stroke.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I wish everyone had a separate injector just for the DPF regeneration. Hopefully, towing will clean them out more often (higher EGTs while working the motor hard)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I wish everyone had a separate injector just for the DPF regeneration. Hopefully, towing will clean them out more often (higher EGTs while working the motor hard)
I'm confident if you're doing that much towing the system will maintain itself, but stop-and-go towing might be worse. My rural area is going to be ideal for this truck I swear to God.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny I could not find the point of injection but figured it was not like the Duramax. Placing the injector in the exhaust stream runs into a problem with injector getting burned out or contaminated with the exhaust. Placing it into the intake is a whole lot cleaner and cooler BUT you will get a bit of raw diesel bypassing the rings on the exhaust stroke.

That oil contamination issue might be mitigated with fewer regenerations. Regenerations use fuel and that lowers fuel mileage. The fewer times it happens the better off you are on mileage. Volkswagon does not use a regeneration system by placing the DPF real close to the exhaust port to utilize the high temperatures present there.

Run it hard, have fewer regenerations, get better fuel mileage and save the oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts