RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is my first post but I appreciate all the info on here that I have read so far! I purchased the SFT Stage 1 tune (w/EGR delete) and Trans Tune Combo last week. Monday afternoon my touch screen and obd2 connector arrived and that night I uploaded my tune files to them through their servers. First, let me say, the process seems complicated at first. Watch the video on their Setup page on the website, and read all the information. I printed it out. You will see it is pretty straight forward, but you have to not rush through this and pay attention. I had no issue getting the tune files uploaded to them, well actually I did screw up because I only sent them the "124" file and didn't realize I also had to send the "107" file from the ECU part. They reached out to me the following morning requesting the 2nd file, so I sent it to them at lunch. An hour later I had my tune file back to me. I installed it after work and took the car for a drive.

First Impression
INSTALL: Needlessly complicated, I think they need to create a single app that will do all the necessary background work required for the tune to be sent to them, because as you will see it is a tedious process. Here it is in a nutshell: You go to their setup page on their website and download the SFT Tune Software. This gives you 2 programs to use, one is a remote USB that connects you to 3 SFT servers. Step 1 is open this Remote USB app and click connect to one of the servers. You will a password which are on SFT setup site, the passwords change every couple days, and you must be connected to the internet while doing this. Hook your OBD2 connector to the car and laptop. After this you then open another app that is called Bit Box. In this app you identify the ECU and select 107 and then click read. It will send the file to your "Master", which is SFT. You fill out the info box, and then hit send. Then you click identify again and search for 124 and then read it and then Click send with your info in the box. Later on you will get an email from them telling you how to find your new TUNE file on the SAME server you sent it to them on. You use the remote USB app to connect to the same server you sent the stock file with, then you open Bit Box again, and make sure your OBD2 dongle is connected to car and computer, and then once you are in the app you click Write. Then a box pops up saying there is not a file and asks if you want to find it? Click yes and go through the list of tunes and you scroll for a bit and then find yours. Then it will tell you to do some stuff with the ignition, and then its all done. You will have a Check Engine light afterward. They tell you to use an OBD2 reader to clear the code. Since I bought the Trans tune too, I had the touchscreen I could use to clear the CEL. But I guess you can use any OBD2 scanner (they have a short list on their site). And that is it. Lots of steps, and like I said above, they need to develop an app that can do everything for you, and all you had to do is plug it into the car, that would be amazing. But this is not brain surgery, anyone with patience can do it. The video on their setup page is pretty good, I wish there was some audio and narration to it!

The part you really care about....
DRIVING: Let me start by saying I only got to drive it for about 15 minutes this evening on my "off road course", and I have to say I am impressed!! Nice constant surge, pushes you back in the seat. No more throttle lag at all, tip into throttle and it goes. No doubt that this truck is much faster now, more predictable when merging and coming from a dead stop. The problem now is making sure you don't spin the back tires if there is some rocks on road when making a left/right turn. My "off road track" that resembles a typical neighborhood has some small stones where I make a left turn onto a busy highway. Usually I punch it and wait for the boost to finally kick in. Now I can get out into the flow of traffic MUCH better, and it feels very strong and predictable. I don't know what the truck felt like before the AEM was done, we have only had ours for a month and I know the AEM was done by the dealer before they put it on lot. But I now LOVE the way this truck drives. Beforehand, I loved the interior and exterior styling, and we love the smooth ride, great suspension, but not really the acceleration. I guess when I test drove it there was in a bit of traffic at first and it must have warmed up. The second day we owned it we were disappointed in the "dead pedal" and I was already looking at GDE. Learning so much about the negative effect the EGR has on the motor long term, I knew I wanted to try and protect the engine, and why not get better performance too (off road ONLY of course!).

OVERALL: I highly recommend this tune for sure. Yes the install is kind of a process, but the results are definitely worth the $$$. And now that I know how to do it, its actually pretty straightforward. Tomorrow I should have my Trans tune file sent to me, and then I will install that as well. This already feels like a new truck with the extra power and response of the motor, so I can only imagine what the trans tune will do for it! I will share my impressions of that as soon as I get the Trans tune installed. Let me know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Looks like brain surgery compared to swapping out an ECM. And all this time SFT tune owners have been touting OBD flashing over ECM swaps. No thank you.

Jimmy, SFT owner, has been on facebook bragging how his tunes are EPA compliant, and how he's taken the ED tuning market by storm. Quite comical to say the least lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That was a very comprehensive first post. I have a few questions related to SFT and EGR removal. I'll post them here rather than clutter the forum with an additional 2 threads.

First question... For those with experience with the SFT ECU tune, did the tune reset your oil life? Mine dropped to 0 (indicating that the oil needs to be changed) and says my last oil change was over 23,000 miles ago (not true, obviously). But, I can't seem to reset it (which I have done multiple times before... so I know I'm doing it right. The jeep is an annoying process.. much simpler on the RAM, but I still know I'm doing it right). Has anyone had any trouble with the oil life changing after the SFT flash... or not being able to reset it back to 100%? SFT indicates that it should not be related to their flash. So, I'm going to flash back to stock and see if the issue persists... but curious if others have had issues.

Second question is regarding EGR removal. When I purchased the SFT ECU tune, I decided to remove my EGR. Just basic removal with caps over the EGR cooler and intake manifold. I did the EGR removal and SFT Tune at the same time. And, immediately when I started driving, I noticed a faint exhaust smell in the cabin. I assume this must be related to the EGR removal. Perhaps bad seal on the manifold side? Anyone have this experience or any thoughts/recommendations?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Looks like brain surgery compared to swapping out an ECM. And all this time SFT tune owners have been touting OBD flashing over ECM swaps. No thank you.

Jimmy, SFT owner, has been on facebook bragging how his tunes are EPA compliant, and how he's taken the ED tuning market by storm. Quite comical to say the least lol.
That dude must be a moron, disables the EGR and claims to be compliant, impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
He will probably say "They are Hungarian Tunes" since he only sells them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everyone sure is giving up hope on GDE awful quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After seeing all the horror stories about the EGR on this truck, plus the crappy throttle response I was living with daily, I figured I'd be best to do something sooner than later. As I said, I have only had the truck for a month, so I don't know all the back story between GDE, SFT, etc. In fact, I was about to buy a GDE tune and then all this EPA stuff happened. Then I was seeing other posts on here saying GDE hopes to have things settled with EPA in "6 months", which I really hope they do, but that doesn't help me now. I also considered buying a GDE tuned ECU second hand, but that seems to be impossible with the VIN/Injector coding at this point. So, seeing as I had not read a bunch of threads about SFT tunes breaking trucks, or any horror stories about the actual functionality of the tune, I thought I would give them a shot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was a very comprehensive first post. I have a few questions related to SFT and EGR removal. I'll post them here rather than clutter the forum with an additional 2 threads.

First question... For those with experience with the SFT ECU tune, did the tune reset your oil life? Mine dropped to 0 (indicating that the oil needs to be changed) and says my last oil change was over 23,000 miles ago (not true, obviously). But, I can't seem to reset it (which I have done multiple times before... so I know I'm doing it right. The jeep is an annoying process.. much simpler on the RAM, but I still know I'm doing it right). Has anyone had any trouble with the oil life changing after the SFT flash... or not being able to reset it back to 100%? SFT indicates that it should not be related to their flash. So, I'm going to flash back to stock and see if the issue persists... but curious if others have had issues.

Second question is regarding EGR removal. When I purchased the SFT ECU tune, I decided to remove my EGR. Just basic removal with caps over the EGR cooler and intake manifold. I did the EGR removal and SFT Tune at the same time. And, immediately when I started driving, I noticed a faint exhaust smell in the cabin. I assume this must be related to the EGR removal. Perhaps bad seal on the manifold side? Anyone have this experience or any thoughts/recommendations?
Thanks, I figured I would try to give a better picture of the install process, as I had NO CLUE when I ordered it that it was so involved. Regarding the Oil Life, ours is at 85% this morning, which is the same that it was the day before I did the tune. So ours did NOT drop to ZERO, but I will keep an eye on it. I was checking all the temps/etc on my first couple drives to make sure nothing was out of sorts and it all looked normal to me.

Regarding what you describe as EGR removal. Did you physically cap the EGR? I just requested the "remove EGR" on my tune file and that stops it from recirculating the exhaust gas. I don't think you need to do any physical "caps" really, perhaps someone else can chime in here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Definitely would have been MUCH easier to just swap the ECM out. As I said, it is a bit of a tedious process, but now that I know how to do it I feel confident I could re-flash the ECM in about 5 minutes going forward. I don't know really anything about Jimmy beyond some of his posts on this forum and elsewhere, and what I did see was not the most flattering stuff LOL. But on different facebook groups and here on this forum, nobody has said anything negative about the actual tunes, and that was what I was most concerned with.

The "EPA compliant" meaning "off road use only" which we all know is more of a wink, wink, nod, nod.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is used to download the ecm to send to SFT?
An app called Bit Box. As I said in the installation part of my first post, you use a remote USB connection to a server, that is one app. Once connected to server, you then open Bit Box and it allows you to identify the ECM, read it, and send off to SFT. Then later they let you know your TUNE file is waiting and you go back in Bit Box to find your tune and write it to the ECM.

I think anyone can download the software on their site https://www.sofakingtuned.com/ecu-setup.html#/

·
Registered
87 Posts
After seeing all the horror stories about the EGR on this truck, plus the crappy throttle response I was living with daily, I figured I'd be best to do something sooner than later. As I said, I have only had the truck for a month, so I don't know all the back story between GDE, SFT, etc. In fact, I was about to buy a GDE tune and then all this EPA stuff happened. Then I was seeing other posts on here saying GDE hopes to have things settled with EPA in "6 months", which I really hope they do, but that doesn't help me now. I also considered buying a GDE tuned ECU second hand, but that seems to be impossible with the VIN/Injector coding at this point. So, seeing as I had not read a bunch of threads about SFT tunes breaking trucks, or any horror stories about the actual functionality of the tune, I thought I would give them a shot.
chiropaul...I don't blame you for making the move and doing SFT. If I was in your position I would probably have done the same. Hoping GDE solves their issues with EPA could be an exercise in futility (we are talking about the US government here). All the other tune companies might be next for a visit from the EPA next. The only thing that matters is that you are now happy with your truck! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

some kit sold on ebay to delete EGR were reported to have bad quality plates , not flat , giving exhaust leaks ,
the 3 hole plate at turbo , behind engine , would give the smell , but also a tuff tuff exhaust leak sound , almost like valve sound on a gasser .
which EGR delete kit did you get ?? , did you do it yourself or had someone else do it ??
------------------------------------------------------------
for oil life , copied this from all around :
by howie : Oil life is now reset.
I did not interpret the reset instructions correctly.
First you push and hold > to reset. Then the confirm screen comes up.
DO NOT GO DIRECT TO PUSH > TO CONFIRM> YOU MUST FIRST SCROLL THE SCREEN
UP OR DOWN TO GET THE OK IN THE CENTER WINDOW THEN PUSH > TO CONFIRM

All Done !!
==============================================
Other oil life reset method :

for a push button start model this is the drill:

push start button without your foot on the brake
I scroll down to see the oil life gauge
press the right arrow and the start button simultaneously
pump the gas pedal three times
press the right arrow to get the reset option. it comes up cancel, push the down arrow to get confirm
press the right arrow again to confirm
---> it then resets , voila .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chiropaul...I don't blame you for making the move and doing SFT. If I was in your position I would probably have done the same. Hoping GDE solves their issues with EPA could be an exercise in futility (we are talking about the US government here). All the other tune companies might be next for a visit from the EPA next. The only thing that matters is that you are now happy with your truck! Good luck!
Thanks man! I'll likely do an update in about a week after I put some miles on this tune. I agree with your sentiment on GDE vs EPA, my brother's was part of a business that had some dealings with the FTC and the process took them almost a year to get resolved. Nothing moves quickly, and even once resolved, GDE is going to be under a microscope and will definitely not be putting the same tunes back on the market.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've put over 5000 miles on my truck since SKT tune and only had minor issues that they resolved immediately. None of these ever affected the performance of the truck. I pull a 4600 lb Toyhauler so I'm really happy with the towing performance and fuel mileage. Once the software is on the laptop it's a simple procedure to download updated tunes even while on the road. All you need is an internet connection.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you are not tuned and want to be, I'd be looking at SFT ASAP as my guess is their days are numbered before they get a knock on the door for a random inspection.

I'm sure the EPA LOVES forums like this one as it tells them who people are using for stuff like this unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
.... Once the software is on the laptop it's a simple procedure to download updated tunes even while on the road. All you need is an internet connection.
I am not a computer genius ,
what I get from OP's description and your post is that ;
-you cannot keep both your stock tune, and sofa tune in a file on your computer / updater tool ??
-Sofa has them stored ( tunes ) somewhere on a internet server that you absolutely need to reach to flash your ECM
-if sofa gets busted you are stuck with whatever tune you have in your ECM at that moment .

the tool that GDE used for transmission tune has the ability to keep a few tunes in it , you just go from one to the other without
having to depend on reaching any internet server , too bad the sofa tool does not allow you the same possibility,
but this is the only option for USA right now , so beggers can't be choosers .

if I got this all wrong , let me know guys .

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Had a call related to SFT yesterday. That person told me he spent about $1,200 to get all the equipment in and codes to download the tunes.

Is that about what you found?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Reading this my take-away is that its what GDE was doing only they did all the 'leg work' for you by sending in the ECM. This almost seems better because you will have the firmware that you can reflash yourself if something happens to them ala GDE.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts