RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've put over 5000 miles on my truck since SKT tune and only had minor issues that they resolved immediately. None of these ever affected the performance of the truck. I pull a 4600 lb Toyhauler so I'm really happy with the towing performance and fuel mileage. Once the software is on the laptop it's a simple procedure to download updated tunes even while on the road. All you need is an internet connection.
Can you share what your minor issue was?? Just so I can keep an eye out just in case. Thanks!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Had a call related to SFT yesterday. That person told me he spent about $1,200 to get all the equipment in and codes to download the tunes.

Is that about what you found?
NO --> The ECU only tune was $600, that includes the cable and OBD2 dongle you plug in. Obviously you need your own laptop, but can't really include that in the cost because I assume everyone has one in 2019. I PERSONALLY paid $900 because they have a deal if you buy both the ECU tune and Trans tune. That includes the touch screen for the Trans Tune and their website says they are working on being able to change Engine tunes on the touchscreen in the future.

So $1200 is definitely wrong, unless they hired someone to do it and if that is the case I'll gladly take your $$$$ for 20 minutes of my time LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Reading this my take-away is that its what GDE was doing only they did all the 'leg work' for you by sending in the ECM. This almost seems better because you will have the firmware that you can reflash yourself if something happens to them ala GDE.
I don't know how the GDE tune drives, so I can't personally say if they are similar in terms of driving/power/etc. And if anyone in the STL metro with GDE wants to meet up one day and we can do a side by side video, that would be really cool. I am 1 hour north of STL and about 30 minutes away from Springfield, IL. Would probably be really helpful to others on this forum.

But yes, I do think it is great that I can switch back to stock really quickly on my own and I don't need any interaction with SFT at all to do that. I just need to be able to log into one of their servers through the app and pull my stock file over with Bit Box. And this would work in reverse. So if the dealer somehow flashes over my tune, I can go home and put it back on pretty easy.

I have not done the trans tune yet because there is a relearn you have to do, and everytime I mess with the truck it is dark out and I feel more comfortable doing it during daylight. As soon as I do that I will upload the video of the whole process.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
BTW, I have ZERO affiliation with this company. I crack backs for a living (hence the CHIRO paul). I don't want to give anyone the impression I am somehow pumping their product, as I really could care less who sells me the tune as long as the product works as advertised and I don't have issues with customer service, etc.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
And if anyone in the STL metro with GDE wants to meet up one day and we can do a side by side video, that would be really cool. I am 1 hour north of STL and about 30 minutes away from Springfield, IL. Would probably be really helpful to others on this forum.
I'd be down for this. Wouldn't be a real fair comparison as I also have the GDE trans tune. Would want to make sure the 2 trucks are as similar as possible between weight, rear axle ratio, tunes, etc.

You should introduce yourself in this thread with the rest of the STL area owners: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/66534-stl-ecodiesel-owners.html

·
Registered
648 Posts
chiropaul...I don't blame you for making the move and doing SFT. If I was in your position I would probably have done the same. Hoping GDE solves their issues with EPA could be an exercise in futility (we are talking about the US government here). All the other tune companies might be next for a visit from the EPA next. The only thing that matters is that you are now happy with your truck! Good luck!
GDE isn’t the only one that got hit, if they even did at all, the notice sent out by the EPA was pretty much a cease and desist to all tuning and aftermarket parts manufacturers that could potentially alter the emissions of a vehicle, unless they have CARB and EO numbers like Edge products and Banks Power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have both the GDE and the SFT engine tunes. I swap them back and forth about every other week. SFT has more get up and go, while GDE provides better MPG, mostly due to the fewer regens. But, I run SFT exclusively for towing. Lower temps, more power etc. I currently have GDE in and I have the SFT trans tune. You'll love the SFT trans tune. Especially when you hit the tow/haul mode and enable what they call the "Rally" mode. Its a blast, and the truck is much more responsive with it. I imagine its similar to GDE's racing tune that I saw on their site under the trans tune. Could be wrong.

My dad has the GDE engine and trans tunes, so I've been able to install and play a lot with both companies tunes. His truck has the 3.92 diff and mine is 3.55 so its not an apples to apples comparison. Either way, both companies tunes are worth the money spent. GDE isn't an option now, and may never be an option for EGR deletions, so in that case SFT receives my full recommendation.

I was going to do a 0-60 time comparision between the two, and then a towing comparison. But with GDE's tune no longer being an option, I'm not sure how much its going to be worth my time. Any tune they produce in the future is going to be different, we know that. EGR will be active as there isn't going to be a way around that one with the EPA breathing down their neck.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Everyone does realize that the EGR deletion and everything is going to become a thing of the past here shortly. Sure there might be a few rebels out there and will always be options, but if they’re cracking down this hard on the tuners, when is the next wave of enforcement at the vehicle owner level coming.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I'd be down for this. Wouldn't be a real fair comparison as I also have the GDE trans tune. Would want to make sure the 2 trucks are as similar as possible between weight, rear axle ratio, tunes, etc.

You should introduce yourself in this thread with the rest of the STL area owners: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/66534-stl-ecodiesel-owners.html
What is your rear axle ratio? I have 3.55's, it is 4wd crew cab laramie on stock tires. Not other mods that I know of.

Since I have the SFT trans tune then I guess we would be able to see how the combination of Engine/Trans tunes compare from the two companies. I get that the variable of the trans tune poses a issue, but still gives people a really good idea how different (or similar) the two company's tunes are.

Where are you in IL?? How far are you from gateway motorsports park?? We could drag race each other LOL!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
GDE isn’t the only one that got hit, if they even did at all, the notice sent out by the EPA was pretty much a cease and desist to all tuning and aftermarket parts manufacturers that could potentially alter the emissions of a vehicle, unless they have CARB and EO numbers like Edge products and Banks Power.

I am really surprised that the EPA is hitting these companies so hard with Trump as president. I thought he was rolling back standards and is against regulations. Kind of interesting.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
What is your rear axle ratio? I have 3.55's, it is 4wd crew cab laramie on stock tires. Not other mods that I know of.

Since I have the SFT trans tune then I guess we would be able to see how the combination of Engine/Trans tunes compare from the two companies. I get that the variable of the trans tune poses a issue, but still gives people a really good idea how different (or similar) the two company's tunes are.

Where are you in IL?? How far are you from gateway motorsports park?? We could drag race each other LOL!!
'16 Laramie CC 6.4' bed, 3.55 gears. Pretty heavy truck. It's possible we could compare without even meeting lol. For $5 you can get the Torque Pro app, it'll give you your best 0-60 time, 1/4mi time, and max HP. Just an option. I'm about 30min south of the raceway.

if they’re cracking down this hard on the tuners, when is the next wave of enforcement at the vehicle owner level coming.
Fear mongering lol. Gonna have owners scared now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
'16 Laramie CC 6.4' bed, 3.55 gears. Pretty heavy truck. It's possible we could compare without even meeting lol. For $5 you can get the Torque Pro app, it'll give you your best 0-60 time, 1/4mi time, and max HP. Just an option. I'm about 30min south of the raceway.

Fear mongering lol. Gonna have owners scared now.
A little bit maybe, but let’s be realistic, I doubt the people with emissions intact will really be at risk, which most EcoDiesel guys have their stuff attached still. I do know some guys on the Ford forums that have already run into issues with owner enforcement or they’re saying they have, believe half of what I hear and read and it’s still hard to decide.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks like brain surgery compared to swapping out an ECM. And all this time SFT tune owners have been touting OBD flashing over ECM swaps. No thank you.

Jimmy, SFT owner, has been on facebook bragging how his tunes are EPA compliant, and how he's taken the ED tuning market by storm. Quite comical to say the least lol.
This process is doing everything but changing the data in the 2 files that were sent to SFT. I wish the user would have taken a screen shot of the files read before sending and then a screen shot of the SFT files he wrote to the ECM. That would be highly beneficial to comparing it to the GDE tune....IF someone can read those same files and share the screen shot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Looks like brain surgery compared to swapping out an ECM. And all this time SFT tune owners have been touting OBD flashing over ECM swaps. No thank you.

Jimmy, SFT owner, has been on facebook bragging how his tunes are EPA compliant, and how he's taken the ED tuning market by storm. Quite comical to say the least lol.
This process is doing everything but changing the data in the 2 files that were sent to SFT. I wish the user would have taken a screen shot of the files read before sending and then a screen shot of the SFT files he wrote to the ECM. That would be highly beneficial to comparing it to the GDE tune....IF someone can read those same files and share the screen shot.
The only file I have a copy of is the Trans tune, it has a .usr file extension. I can email the stock and tuned transmission files to anyone who wants to dig through it. The ECM files get Read and sent by Bit Box and I never had a physical copy saved to my computer. I'm sure there is a way to make Bit Box think it's connected to a server.

I don't have those skills, but anyone can download the software from their setup page. Maybe one can modify Bit Box to create a local file?

·
Registered
119 Posts
The only file I have a copy of is the Trans tune, it has a .usr file extension. I can email the stock and tuned transmission files to anyone who wants to dig through it. The ECM files get Read and sent by Bit Box and I never had a physical copy saved to my computer. I'm sure there is a way to make Bit Box think it's connected to a server.

I don't have those skills, but anyone can download the software from their setup page. Maybe one can modify Bit Box to create a local file?
Did you see the files? open them? I took "read" to mean it opened them and then you selected where to send it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Did you see the files? open them? I took "read" to mean it opened them and then you selected where to send it.
I have the files on my desktop, but I don't have a program on windows that can open/view the info.

The Bit Box program "reads" the ECM and transfers file. There is another app called the SofaKingTune.exe that pulled over the transmission file. Again, can't open that file myself.

·
Registered
432 Posts
A little bit maybe, but let’s be realistic, I doubt the people with emissions intact will really be at risk, which most EcoDiesel guys have their stuff attached still. I do know some guys on the Ford forums that have already run into issues with owner enforcement or they’re saying they have, believe half of what I hear and read and it’s still hard to decide.

Just debadge your truck or are you insinuating that the EPA Police are going to go door-to-door, make that garage-to-garage, looking for all those dastardly EcoDiesel owners?
Maybe they'll put your picture up at the Post Office?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Just debadge your truck or are you insinuating that the EPA Police are going to go door-to-door, make that garage-to-garage, looking for all those dastardly EcoDiesel owners?
Maybe they'll put your picture up at the Post Office?
Not sure how you got that out of anything I said. I said Ecodiesel owners are highly unlikely to have anything happen to them. However if you think you’re in the free and clear, think again, what happens when the subpoena companies for their customer lists?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts