RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to share as I'm excited that I just ordered a 2021 laramie ED. I had a 2016 ED and loved it but then switched to a 2018 hemi ( there were no ED's at that time) and since day 1 of owning a hemi I missed my ED. Doing some research and i guess there are still no aftermarket support for the 5th gen. Does anyone have any input on tuners and exhausts for our trucks? I'm looking to straight pipe it right away becuse i loved how my '16 sounded straight piped. I'll attach my build if anyone is interested. Thanks in advance I hope these 8-12 week build time comes sooner. P.S. I will be color matching the grill first day I get it since I'm not a fan of the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to share as I'm excited that I just ordered a 2021 laramie ED. I had a 2016 ED and loved it but then switched to a 2018 hemi ( there were no ED's at that time) and since day 1 of owning a hemi I missed my ED. Doing some research and i guess there are still no aftermarket support for the 5th gen. Does anyone have any input on tuners and exhausts for our trucks? I'm looking to straight pipe it right away becuse i loved how my '16 sounded straight piped. I'll attach my build if anyone is interested. Thanks in advance I hope these 8-12 week build time comes sooner. P.S. I will be color matching the grill first day I get it since I'm not a fan of the look.
you sure you want the 3.21 axle?

Highly recommend the 3.92.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My vote is for the 3.21.
My 2016 ED is the 3.92. With the added power of the new diesel, I'd get the 3.21 for it's better fuel mileage. If I need more power with a trailer, push the Tow button.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
My vote is for the 3.21.
My 2016 ED is the 3.92. With the added power of the new diesel, I'd get the 3.21 for it's better fuel mileage. If I need more power with a trailer, push the Tow button.
i have the 3.92 in my 2015. Highway i average 27 -29.

tow button doesn't give you more power or towing capability.

OP - what, if anything, do you plan on towing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

tow button doesn't give you more power or towing capability.

OP - what, if anything, do you plan on towing?
just tow my drift car to the track/ total weight with trailer is around 7k lbs mainly getting the 3.21 for fuel economy- saw some fuel economy reviews between a 3.21 and a 3.92 and there was If i remember correctly 7mpg difference

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you sure you want the 3.21 axle?

Highly recommend the 3.92.
yeah I want the 3.21 i dont care about acceleration or anything like that just fuel economy and difference between a 3.92 and a 3.21 is about 7mpg if i remember correctly

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
Congrats! Look forward to seeing pics towing your drift car. I would think the 3.21 would tow a 7k enclosed car hauler satisfactorily. Likely run a lower gear and struggle a little more towing 70 + mph or up longer steeper grades. Find the happy spot I suspect either gear would get about the same economy towing. 7 mpg unloaded mpg advantage sounds suspect to me no matter the speed but even 3 or 4 would be good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats! Look forward to seeing pics towing your drift car. I would think the 3.21 would tow a 7k enclosed car hauler satisfactorily. Likely run a lower gear and struggle a little more towing 70 + mph or up longer steeper grades. Find the happy spot I suspect either gear would get about the same economy towing. 7 mpg unloaded mpg advantage sounds suspect to me no matter the speed but even 3 or 4 would be good.
Saw a video on youtube of a guy mpg testing a truck with 3.92 and a 3.21 doing i think a 100mile loop and if I remember correctly the 3.21 was 7 or maybe 6 mpg better, will try to find the video and share it here

·
Registered
127 Posts
really, I think the 3.21 would get about 1.5 better MPG on the HWY. I doubt it is 7.0 mpg anywhere. It was probably 0.7 as posted above by r3gill.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 1500 EcoD Laramie 4x4 crew cab ORP w/all the goodies
21 Posts
yeah I want the 3.21 i dont care about acceleration or anything like that just fuel economy and difference between a 3.92 and a 3.21 is about 7mpg if i remember correctly
Great news on your new truck. Wish I had the 3.21 on my '21 ED rather than the 3.92. Post a pic when it gets in.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
5,169 Posts

tow button doesn't give you more power or towing capability
No but shifting down a gear certainly does.

3.92 owners sure do like to push the koolaid lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great news on your new truck. Wish I had the 3.21 on my '21 ED rather than the 3.92. Post a pic when it gets in.
Thank you and will do, I just got my production number and invoice already so hopefully it wont take the 8-12 weeks they told me

1 - 20 of 23 Posts