RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd say my hesitation is 99% gone. I've had to try to relearn how to press the gas pedal because now I go to far and the truck moves quick lol. However I think some of the "hesitation" you're still seeing is just typical turbo lag. From a dead stop the turbo isn't the quickest to spool

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say my hesitation is 99% gone. I've had to try to relearn how to press the gas pedal because now I go to far and the truck moves quick lol. However I think some of the "hesitation" you're still seeing is just typical turbo lag. From a dead stop the turbo isn't the quickest to spool
Very possible. I drove about 30 miles just to test it out... with COVID-19 stuff, I am working from home and not driving a lot. I will probably go for a drive at lunch to get out and to play with it. No doubt it is much, much better

·
Registered
152 Posts
Does anybody have their invoice? I'm curious as to what part no. the replacement EGR cooler was. Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes actual part # on an invoice with the VB1 completed would be great to see how its written out. Curious if there's any identifiers to differentiate on the new EGR itself i.e. stamped part #, sticker, or something else?

Would prove helpful & provide some peace of mind for folks to be able to verify their EGR is in fact the new " beefier " version.

I am rather certain the external appearance is near identical so I'd be curious if all we have to rely on is the dealer invoice write up itself -vs- what part # the service tech has been provided from the stock room could really be either version....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just had my EGR done Monday. Part number they have is listed as CSNDVB11AA COOLER-EGR and CSNDVB12AA COOLER-EGR. They gave me the truck back Tuesday with the coolant between the seam and the full line so I topped it off Wednesday morning. Didn't check it again until this morning and it was about half way between the seam and full line again. Figured it could be the recent temp changes around here but going to keep an eye on it for a while. Also noticed a coolant smell when I picked it up, and again the other day when leaving the truck after parking. Figured they may have spilled some while replacing the part.

As far as the AEM, I never got the original version, but have been running the most recent update for about a month. I thought that I had noticed lag as I was leaving the dealer after it had been done but but it went away after it had warmed up. Showed up one other time that day leaving a red light. Haven't noticed anything since. Then again, I dont usually have a heavy foot, so others may have a different experience. MPGs seem about the same and regens seem to occur about 1-2 days further apart during my average 80 mile a day commute.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In my thirty-mile test drive, I do think the hesitation is much, much better. I was one of the unlikely ones with terrible hesitation. I'd say it's 80% better. Granted this is on one test run.

I'll keep an eye on the MPG and see how it fairs.
When & how were you notified that you can get the VB1 & VA7 Done?? Called my local Dealership and was told both have to be done at the same time but no timing as too when this will happen. I have a 2016 EcoDiesel

·
Registered
937 Posts
When I set my original appointment, the SA had me talk to the parts department to make sure everything was in. They said yes, so set the appointment for yesterday. Got a few miles from the dealer when they called to tell me that not everything was in. Accordnig to the SA, there are three parts to the EGR swap and only two were in. Maybe the 17s are different since they've not had the AEM software tweak prior to selling. When I take it in this next time, I'm going to push again for the VA7 update.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Just called my dealer, the installation kit is in Boston (1 day shipping) and the cooler is in Michigan, when they come in we'll schedule the work. It does sound like it is the cooler only and not the cooler and egr, we'll have to see when I get it done.

·
Registered
855 Posts
ncskibum
, interesting my my service manager said 2 parts, we'll see.

·
Registered
412 Posts
When I set my original appointment, the SA had me talk to the parts department to make sure everything was in. They said yes, so set the appointment for yesterday. Got a few miles from the dealer when they called to tell me that not everything was in. Accordnig to the SA, there are three parts to the EGR swap and only two were in. Maybe the 17s are different since they've not had the AEM software tweak prior to selling. When I take it in this next time, I'm going to push again for the VA7 update.
As far as I know, VA7 only applies to 2014 - 2016, they won't do it on 2017 - 2019 trucks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As far as I know, VA7 only applies to 2014 - 2016, they won't do it on 2017 - 2019 trucks.
I just had my 2017 in for some suspension issues. They performed an update for the PCM as well. Nothing on the paperwork mentions it as VA7, but it's been less than six months since it was last at the dealer. Throttle response feels a bit more "twitchy" after the update.

So there is an update going around for 2017+; whether or not its the same as VA7, who knows?

·
Registered
41 Posts

Thanks.. Seems with this COVID19 issue; dealership told me they have limited staff and that I should wait until things calm down.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
However I think some of the "hesitation" you're still seeing is just typical turbo lag. From a dead stop the turbo isn't the quickest to spool
I think what you're calling turbo lag is actually just lazy transmission programming. It's most apparent from a dead stop, and it's horrible. You would be surprised how responsive these trucks are with the right transmission tuning, what they're actually capable of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just curious...are the service people mentioning anything about inspecting the intake manifold during EGR cooler replacement? Good chance that it could be damaged as well and will need replacing, depending on mileage. This is according to the safety recall verbiage.

·
Registered
801 Posts
In my thirty-mile test drive, I do think the hesitation is much, much better. I was one of the unlikely ones with terrible hesitation. I'd say it's 80% better. Granted this is on one test run.

I'll keep an eye on the MPG and see how it fairs.
Same here. I had the original flash on this truck and it’s quite a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just curious...are the service people mentioning anything about inspecting the intake manifold during EGR cooler replacement? Good chance that it could be damaged as well and will need replacing, depending on mileage. This is according to the safety recall verbiage.
They did review on my end and checked for specific codes and damage. Mine was not replaced.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the same part number listed has Havanajoe. I took a peek at the actual unit appears to have been manufactured on 2/11/2020 by Dellorto. Roughly eight weeks from manufacture to being installed here.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts