RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4 bone stock
Discussion Starter #1
Green Diesel finished the emission validation testing on the Ram Ecodiesel 2014-2019 and the Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014-2016. We will be releasing a 49-state legal emission certified tunes in mid-June that addresses all of the consumer complaints on this application. Including reducing lag at launch, a good fuel economy bump 2-3 mpg, reduced soot formation for cleaner engine oil and reduced buildup in the intake. The tune also excels in the performance department with an extra 30hp and 65ftlb of torque. The trans tune also improves performance and response along with improved fuel economy and reduced trans fluid temps.
The package will include an OBD flash tool, engine tune and trans tune for $1100 introductory special. Existing customers wanting updates will also be accommodated, but will need a flash tool and trans tune as the certification is a package deal. Existing customer cost will be around $580 for tool, engine tune and trans tune.
These tunes focus on improving efficiency and drive ability while still meeting EPA requirements. At this time, these are the only street legal tunes available for the Ecodiesel platform.

Facebook
馃憤

Registered
Good to hear they are making progress and have their return outlined. Right now, at least for me, the choice is between going with something from Canada to shut the EGR off completely or go with GDE and keep it operational but in a "cleaner" fashion. Either scenario should be able to pass emissions if you aren't deleting, just GDE should be doing it without going back to stock. Either scenario will also mean going back to stock before any necessary dealer visit as well which both platforms seem capable of doing. I suppose the real test will be quite some time from now whenever an engine with the new GDE tune is opened up and the manifolds are examined.

Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4 bone stock
Discussion Starter #3
i hope they do good 馃憤 , but who wants to be the guinea pig (again):rolleyes: not a knock on GDE, (and I understand if you live in a state that strictly enforces these requirements,and it may be the only option, or best option), and all I hear about GDE has been positive (great company w/great CS), it is ashamed they are handcuffed by gooberment mandated regulations that are pushed onto manufactures with no real world testing, kind of frustrating but look at what these mandates have done to this and other platforms, looks to me the premature death of most diesels has been related to EGR and emission regulations across all manufacturers:( but hoping for the best馃憤

Registered
I just bought a 2015 ecodiesel last week, and just been researching and reading. I got a 2yr extended warranty from the dealer. The recalls have been performed on it already, I'm looking at tunes and will most likely go with a stage 1 non delete till my warranty expires. But I'm always up for information and recommendations.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Registered
I mentioned before on this site that Cache County, Utah and the Bear River Health Department have decided that they will be reading ECMs at the time of registration to make sure that they are EPA compliant starting January, 2021. I have written complaints clear to the Governor's Office about this and that simple emissions testing should be sufficient. (It's more important what comes out of the tail pipe than out of the computer.) Anyway, for me, this is very welcome news from GDE and they have assured me that the new tune will pass whatever my local branch of the SS throws at me.

Registered
I mentioned before on this site that Cache County, Utah and the Bear River Health Department have decided that they will be reading ECMs at the time of registration to make sure that they are EPA compliant starting January, 2021. I have written complaints clear to the Governor's Office about this and that simple emissions testing should be sufficient. (It's more important what comes out of the tail pipe than out of the computer.) Anyway, for me, this is very welcome news from GDE and they have assured me that the new tune will pass whatever my local branch of the SS throws at me.
With other companies that are tuning via hand-held now, you could also go back to stock for the registration read then swap back after renewing. I'm all for GDE coming back and more players in the game, I think the real question is tune with the EGR disabled or tune with it still enabled? It's a known value now via many members who have shared photos of what the EGR can do to intake manifolds with factory tuning. What isn't known is how manifolds will look using GDE's tune and keeping the EGR active.

Registered
This is great news. I just bought my 2017 two days ago and while I'm happy with it stock for now it needs some extra pep. I'll most likely wait a little bit before making the leap into a tune, just to make sure it's kosher.

Registered
While I agree in principle with what you stated, VW showed us that manufactures can't be trusted. I'm pretty sure that when I get my emissions test, they just use the OBD port and don't recall them actually using the tailpipe probe SO... it's about what is being "reported" not measured.

Registered
It seems the new GDE Emissions Compliant tune does reduce the soot levels quite a bit. Also, I agree the emissions are the Achilles Heel of these trucks. However, as time goes on, the OEMs are learning better how to cope with the required emissions systems. A good example being the 2020s having a two stage EGR system, one for startup, the other one after the DPF filter to lessen the amount of soot being dumped into the intake once engine temps are at operational temps.

And as much as the Emissions equipment annoys me, I still love the drivability and low end torque that a modern diesel affords. And the fuel economy is just icing on the cake.

Registered
I think you are over reacting. They will be reading the OBD to check monitor/sensor data, this is a pretty common emissions test. You can have 1 or 2 noncritical monitors "not ready" and still pass. If your tune is poorly done it will propably fail, if it's a quality tune it will probably pass even though its noncomplient.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts