RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Just signed up

289 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  VernDiesel
My company provided me with a new 2018 1500 ecodiesel. They recently uograded me to a 2023 ecodiesel, but I ended up buying the 2018 after I put 337,000 miles on it. Only issues I had were 1 crankshaft sensor and a pair a split boots on front CV. Other than that just routine service.

I have been using a few of the Hot Shot Secret products, FR3, stiction eliminator, EDT and diesel extreme. Anyway since I iwn it now, I thought Id join and soak up some info if I end up having to wrench on this.
Reactions: 5
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you've got some knowledge and experience with the EcoD already, and you're doing something right to get 337k out of it.

now post some pics of both trucks, we like to see what everybody's driving!
Reactions: 1
My company provided me with a new 2018 1500 ecodiesel. They recently uograded me to a 2023 ecodiesel, but I ended up buying the 2018 after I put 337,000 miles on it. Only issues I had were 1 crankshaft sensor and a pair a split boots on front CV. Other than that just routine service.

I have been using a few of the Hot Shot Secret products, FR3, stiction eliminator, EDT and diesel extreme. Anyway since I iwn it now, I thought Id join and soak up some info if I end up having to wrench on this.
Did you put a tune on it? If so, which one.

Hi: Mopar2ya... Ah Diesel Extreme... Laxative for your truck. Makes the goin' great!!! Good rubbers are essential too.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
Welcome to the forum. You put over 300K on an early-model Ecodiesel with near no trouble. WINderful. You are a serious winner of the longevity, trouble-free award.

Great for others to know.
Reactions: 2
Did you put a tune on it? If so, which one.
Its bone stock.
Factory original tune OK, AEM government detune BAD, aftermarket tune that cleans up the injection events and turns off the egr soot recirculator GOOD. :D More reliable, more power, better fuel economy, and no clogging of the intake manifold which has burned a lot of these trucks to the ground. 🔥

Watch your degass tank if coolant gets below the seam add water because if she gets a coolant leak (common on these) it won’t empty the degass tank no matter how low coolant gets in the system. I leaned this at 371k miles when mine pushed a head gasket due to low coolant from an EGR cooler leak. EGR cooler leaks go out the tail pipes so you never see coolant on your garage floor. Also Low coolant kills labor intensive expensive on these water pumps.

If you have to add water/antifreeze more than once you have a coolant leak somewhere. Keep it to the seam until you find the leak. Commonly the degass tank itself gets a pressure leak as it gets old & brittle. Often dealerships pressure test for a leak but don’t test at high enough pressure that it passes except for when pressure gets a little higher than the test and the degas tank purges or vents some coolant each time coolant temp & pressure gets high enough. But it’s a quick simple swap for a new tank which is something you can do yourself. You should also check the water pump weep hole. But have the dealership replace the pump if it’s bad as with this particular water pump you want them doing it. But it can be a pump sourced outside Mopar.

Keeping the coolant temp under control is a major key to engine longevity. My 2nd engine cracked a head at 423k miles. So heat took out both of mine.

Last tripper upper is protecting the fuel system. Besides the engine itself it’s the only thing that becomes cost prohibitive to repair with the whole thing often ending in a $10k bill. I know you’re past warranty but it makes the point Ram won’t warranty the fuel system if it’s got a fuel filter that is unlike the Mopar boxed filter which includes a built in water separator & plastic mesh covering. Even a quality unit like Wix has no water separator. Use Mopars fuel filter or its clone only. It’s usually water condensation that’s causes the high pressure fuel pumps to self distruct requiring new or cleaned everything in your fuel system. My warranty was every 30k so I’ve stuck with that interval. Friend James had 452k on his original motor when his high pressure pump imploded resulting in blowing off an injector tip which filled a cylinder with shrapnel.

Now young Jeti may the force be with you to go 500k miles. 😆
See less See more
Reactions: 3
"Now young Jeti may the force be with you to go 500k miles. 😆"

Only Vern could call someone with 337k on their Eco a "young jedi" :D
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
:D Well I thought it worked with just signed up. BTW welcome aboard Mopar2ya. Lots of knowledgeable & helpful folk around here.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts