RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I luv this truck...been hiding from the forums because of so much negativity. I just changed the oil and this came out with the old oil. I can’t say it gives me confidence in my vehicle but who knows, maybe it is some un-needed metal part, you know like when you put something back together and you have a screw left over but it works fine? 🤔. Any idea what it is?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm going to assume that you are talking about the item on the left and not the penny....right? It looks like a peace of shot used to clean the engine block, crank and rods after casting. Just like a tumbler used for polishing rocks. If there was an issue the engine would have went south. Being that large it most likely dislodged and stayed in the bottom of the pan. I would take it to the dealer and have them show it to FCA/Ram/VM so they can find out why it was not removed during the cleaning process.

But keep it and make them take pictures or at the very least have a factory rep sign for it. Not sure they will but since you have pictures of it you should be covered.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Only thing I can say ,It’s not uncommon when doing oil changes to drain an occasional nut or bolt ,I drained probably 5-10 over the years. With my Tundra I drained a ball bearing around 60k , Around 90k I traded it for my EcoDiesel ....

A fine mesh brass screen in the mouth of the Oil drain pan , Will tell you a tremendous amount about your engine,if you want to listen to it ? Sometimes ignorance is best ....

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I had to look at the date ,,,, no , not April fool's day ,
Who would throw a penny in there ???? Why ??
do you strain your oïl when draining , how would you come across this ??
I drain in a big bucket , then pour the old oïl in jugs thru a funnel , and that smaller piece I would never see
did you run a magnet in your oïl bucket ?? if so , a penny does not stick to a magnet ...
very strange stuff Hix ....

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Folks I believe the penny is giving reference to the size of the object next to it , I’m pretty confident he didn’t drain a penny from his oil pan .. I believe a penny wouldn’t even fit out the drain plug ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks a bit like an alignment dowel pin from the heads or intake for assembly, but you’d think it would do a little damage on its way to the pan

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Oh Boy , H n G , good logic , so ,for size reference only,,,,, the question seems more legit that way ,
I like the answer from Perrysburg Dodgeboy , makes the find from Hix less worrying .

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
30k later and it's still running like a champ even though another identical piece came out in the last oil change too. Go figure

·
Registered
392 Posts
Aren't mechanical things weird???

What I mean is, there are some engine, transmission and suspension components that seemingly must be assembled in a NASA clean room to avoid dust particles that might destroy the component. And then there are instances like yours where a couple of decent sized chunks of steel have been floating around and the engine doesn't even notice. I mean, What the hell???

Life is baffling sometimes :rolleyes:

Bob

·
Registered
12,444 Posts
So 8 months later you are again reminded of the original piece with a second one. Well you did not learn.

Dump your oil into a plain pan. Never put a screen over that pan. In and then dumped out. You don't need to know what is not hurting you.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
30k later and it's still running like a champ even though another identical piece came out in the last oil change too. Go figure
Crankshaft weight...

Those are used to balance the rotating assembly... I'd take both to ur dealer if under warranty and get it on file that those fell out of your engine.

For your reference, they are called Mallory metal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crankshaft weight...

Those are used to balance the rotating assembly... I'd take both to ur dealer if under warranty and get it on file that those fell out of your engine.

LaLaLaLa.... everything is fine as long as I think it is

·
Registered
614 Posts
My last 4 cylinder Tacoma came without timing chain tensioners! I thought it was a bit loud when I bought it, by 30,000 miles it sounded like a 12 valve Cummins. Fought with the dealer to fix. their answer= They all sound like that. I guess once that is in the bottom of the pan, it's pretty harmless.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You really need to ask for a factory Rep and show him this! This could explain some of the engines going south!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Crankshaft weight...

I never gave that a thought but I bet you are correct and HIX really needs to take the truck to the dealer and have them contact the factory!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts