RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Dammit. Last time I took it to the dealer they just said if it didn't blow up soon don't worry about it. How exactly do I ensure that it is taken seriously? Attached a pic of the most recent one. With it zoomed in the fancy camera on my pixel3 exaggerates the texture A bit. With the naked eye it looks more like scuffed metal than a cracked piece of tar burnt steel

Attachments

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
sure looks like a pin that was hammered in , causing the marks on one end ,
then wiggled out of its spot , bizarre because in the past I have never seen that method used to balance a crank ,
you don't drill out metal to add a pin to then add microscopic weight addition , you drill on other side to remove weight
then your previous lighter side gets balanced that way , very mysterious indeed .
original post 16/08/2018 , then 30,000 miles later on 15/04/2019 , 8 months ,
you get around HIX , 30,000 miles in 8 months , what model year is your truck ??
how many miles on original find in August 2018 ??

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My best guess would be either a alignment dowl (cant think of how one would come loose) or part of a timing chain but that would break very quickly. Surely there must be some other hint maybe oil analysis would show something? Im really not sure whats the best way to go from here.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Does anyone know if there are alignment pins on the crank and cam gears? Perhaps on the timing chain cover? Either way it is not acceptable to have metal parts just running around in the oil pan. I know there is a screen on the sump pickup tube but with those marks on the pin are their small pieces moving around? If this is FCA quality control then I'm done.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
sure looks like a pin that was hammered in , causing the marks on one end ,
then wiggled out of its spot , bizarre because in the past I have never seen that method used to balance a crank ,
you don't drill out metal to add a pin to then add microscopic weight addition , you drill on other side to remove weight
then your previous lighter side gets balanced that way , very mysterious indeed .
original post 16/08/2018 , then 30,000 miles later on 15/04/2019 , 8 months ,
you get around HIX , 30,000 miles in 8 months , what model year is your truck ??
how many miles on original find in August 2018 ??
Mallory metal is significantly denser than the various chromoly alloys used in cranks.

HIX, you have to get the factory involved here and at least get it documented. Technically your engine has already failed and FCA needs to repair it.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Previous post 5 and 6 , They look like loose roller bearings , As I posted previously I had a 2010 Tundra when I drained the engine oil , I also drained a ball bearing as well into my oil pan . IMOP anything mechanical will be subject to have a early failure component, it sucks when it happens to you ...

IMOP this particular instance isn’t a bad manufacturing quality issue , maybe Bad parts supplier issue ? Curious was the OP’s truck tuned? How many miles on your truck? My bet not tuned or tuned late in life, soot is an abrasive well documented for causing excessive internal wear ...

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Previous post 5 and 6 , They look like loose roller bearings , As I posted previously I had a 2010 Tundra when I drained the engine oil , I also drained a ball bearing as well into my oil pan . IMOP anything mechanical will be subject to have a early failure component, it sucks when it happens to you ...

IMOP this particular instance isn’t a bad manufacturing quality issue , maybe Bad parts supplier issue ? Curious was the OP’s truck tuned? How many miles on your truck? My bet not tuned or tuned late in life, soot is an abrasive well documented for causing excessive internal wear ...

There are no roller bearings of that size in this engine. that is WAY too large.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Mallory metal is significantly denser than the various chromoly alloys used in cranks.

HIX, you have to get the factory involved here and at least get it documented. Technically your engine has already failed and FCA needs to repair it.
Kazi, also understand... your balancing against a Piston, rings wrist pin etc... you can't remove enough weight to balance from the opposing side. That slug probably weighs a decent percentage of the piston's weight.

·
Registered
105 Posts
As far as the history of the truck goes:

Purchased bone stock @ just over 18k miles with oil change and fuel filter done just prior to purchase

Changed the oil @ 22k just to make sure the right oil and filter were in place. Found metal dowel/pin/whatever in pan but no other shavings. Dealer didn't care.

Changed oil @ 26k. No metal in pan

Changed oil @ 32k. No metal in pan

Changed oil and fuel filter @ 42k. No metal in pan

Changed oil @ 48566 miles. Found metal dowel/pin/whatever in pan.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Took it to the dealer again and they couldn't figure out what it was. They said they would drop the pan and take a look but because the truck is running fine and there are no trouble codes it would be my responsibility to pay for the job.

I when I got home I spoke with an fca rep and they said they don't have anyone I can send the debris to that could determine the source. So basically nothing to see here, move along. At least I have a paper trail if it does let go but at this point I'm not too worried. No other metal shavings have come out and nothing in the filter. Let it ride?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Took it to the dealer again and they couldn't figure out what it was. They said they would drop the pan and take a look but because the truck is running fine and there are no trouble codes it would be my responsibility to pay for the job.

I when I got home I spoke with an fca rep and they said they don't have anyone I can send the debris to that could determine the source. So basically nothing to see here, move along. At least I have a paper trail if it does let go but at this point I'm not too worried. No other metal shavings have come out and nothing in the filter. Let it ride?
U now have a paper trail. That's most important.

Just like kazi said, you might want to try contacting VM.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts