RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

K&N air filter

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  cdttzap 
#1 ·
Anyone switch to K&N filter and notice a mileage increase? Wondering if it’s worth the little extra.

#2 ·
I was always under the impression that the reusable air filters flowed more air but didn’t filter the air as well as a dry element so I had always stayed away with my ecodiesel because I operate my truck in dusty conditions.
I talked to someone at Banks Power and they claim that their reusable filters flow 5% more air when compared to an OEM air filter and they filter equally as well.
The air intake on the ecodiesels are not terribly restrictive so I don’t think you would see much of an increase in MPG or power. I am not talking about a cold air intake system but rather using a reusable filter in the stock air box. I have no clue if you did the whole cold air intake.

I was exploring this option more as a cost savings possibility. I have to change my air filter when I change my oil , air filters are about $30, I average 10,000 miles every 6 weeks so I have looked at it as a way to save a little money but haven’t decided to do it or not.

I still worry about dusting out my engine. I am still on the fence on this one but if I do, I would go the Banks Power direction over K&N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I used to run an OEM-size K&N replacement filter in my 2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. I bought into the hype that they flow more air and didn't pay attention to the critics who said they don't filter as well. About a year after installing the K&N, I pulled my intake tube and saw a ring of oily, gritty, grime around the intake. Cleaned that stuff out with a toothbrush and vacuum, threw the K&N away, and replaced it with an OEM-style paper filter.

Dave

#7 ·
Put in an AFE dry medium at 5,000 miles. Still have it at 225,000 miles w/ excellent silica levels in UOA. My reasoning was cost over long term ownership NOT performance or sound given stock air box.

Zero gains as Crash states. It is a cost vs. time equation....my baby has done exceptionally well. Of note, my turbo blades looked MINT when it failed at 216k and NOT sand blasted. Dry medium is key and I SUSPECT even the OEM could go much longer than suggested based on UOA silica values.

#8 ·
My unscientific opinion - worth every penny. IF FCA could improve the power and fuel mileage of their trucks for a simple $100 air filter that did not adversely affect reliability, WHY wouldn't they install one as standard equipment????

#15 ·
At 50,000 miles I chucked out the stock and replaced with a K&N drop in. Just cleaned and reoiled at 100,000 miles. Check out the silicon numbers (sand/dirt) . No more mpg or power, but seems to work ok. Will keep cleaning and reoiling every 50,000 miles.

Attachments

#16 ·
I ran a K&N filter in my stock air box for exactly one oil change cycle,4000 miles, and saw the silica increase in my oil analysis.
I immediately switched back to the stock air filter and after talking to Banks Engineering I installed their replacement tube for the Ram silencer. Banks was quite easy to work this out. Since then theres been no excess silica in my oil.

#17 ·
I've had two of them just becasue they came on the trucks. I would have gladly traded someone for thier stock setup just to get rid of the cleaning and oiling of them. What a pain. And the cold air boxes that went with them was always a hassle to dig open. The little screws were constantly stripping out and the little brass insert nuts were constantly pulling out. I kept mine maintained often and watched for anything getting past them. I never saw signs of that. I would never purchase one after having to deal with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.