RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the laptop I have been using to come here for the last 4 years just died ...
beeping sound , associated with Bios start , " no operating system found "
seems the hard drive is dead .
I will no longer be able to link good stuff , as my files are lost ....
I have an old copy somewhere but it is pre-EPA crackdown , pre- Sept 18th 2019 ,
all the newest stuff I collected since then is gone .
I cannot access to help others ,,,,,, going to be quiet for me here unless I get my files back ...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Will It go to the boot screen or is it still in bios boot? If you hit f11 I Beleive it is you should be able to get a bios boot menu and possibly start in safe mode. Depending on your computer it may be another f key. Hate to see a guy down ebcaaude if computer issues.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Have you plugged in anything new? Any usb devices plugged in? Unplug everything, and try again. Probably not this, but always worth a shot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This may help.
A computer will beep and refuse to boot if new hardware is installed incorrectly. The hardware may be incompatible with the motherboard if it is correctly installed and still creating POST errors. For example, Intel boards beep twice in POST if the CPU is incompatible. You can also try disconnecting any non-essential peripheral devices.

Bad BIOS settings can trip POST beep errors and stop the computer from being able to boot. For example, Phoenix BIOS has an error code for an incorrectly configured video card. Unless you can access BIOS and correct the faulty settings, you can resolve the problem by flashing the BIOS and returning it to the default or safe settings
Removing the battery for a few minutes and reinstalling it can reset this issue sometimes.

The computer will fail the POST if the RAM has failed. For example, an Intel-based Mac indicates RAM problems in the POST by displaying a gray screen and beeping three times. You can troubleshoot RAM problems by reseating the module in the computer and testing the module in another computer; if the RAM fails both tests, the module is likely broken. Phoenix BIOS is a bit more specific and indicates RAM failure with a 1-4-2 beep and pause pattern.

The worst case scenario implies that the motherboard, CPU or graphics card has failed and can't be fixed. For example, AMI motherboards indicate a failed CPU with five short beeps and IBM ThinkPad computers indicate a failed motherboard with five short beeps and a blank screen. You won't be able to see anything on your screen if the problem lies in the graphics card. The only way to resolve hardware failure POST problems is to replace the broken parts.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked around the net with my other s-l-o-w-e-r laptop ,win 10 that I hate
-----------------------------
and found a way to access bios boot with Pf12 , in my Acer win 7 Laptop ,
but the options I get are to use the microsoft CD
that I never got when purchasing the laptop ,
also opened up the thing , hard drive is still well connected in there ,
when trying to turn on I hear 5 times 3 beeps
I get Error 0200 Failure fixed disk 0
the after cycling ===> operating system not found
----------------------------
I'm pig headed and spent almost 6 hours on this today .
tend to believe it is time to get a new toy ,
question is ...Apple MAC , or new fast win 10 Laptop ,,,,,

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nothing new installed , heard funny sound in the house , non stop beeping
followed sound to my office to find it was coming from Laptop , screen frozen
after turning off with On/OFF button , the only way I could ,,, it never came back.
this laptop gave me good service since March 2010 ,
plugged in 24/7 since then , almost 10 years ...:cautious:

·
Registered
162 Posts
You may be able to save your hard drive info if you go to a computer shop. I think it's like $50 to get everything removed and put on another drive. I built a speedy computer last year with win 10 and its a rocket. Not an apple fan myself definately test drive one and see how you like it. You can also get a USB hard drive reader off ebay for cheap that you may be able to access your hard drive with and get your files.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My little input on this... Use a SSD hard drive and it will will last a long time, the conventional HDDs are the first thing to go in a laptop in my opinion, they are ok in a desktop but a laptop and hdd is a no go...

Speed comes as a bonus with SSD, Old fragmented HDDs can slow down your pc big time..

·
Registered
162 Posts
nothing new installed , heard funny sound in the house , non stop beeping
followed sound to my office to find it was coming from Laptop , screen frozen
after turning off with On/OFF button , the only way I could ,,, it never came back.
this laptop gave me good service since March 2010 ,
plugged in 24/7 since then , almost 10 years ...:cautious:
I had an issue like this with my laptop a few years ago. Girlfriend spilled water under my computer and it got into my ram. It refused to start till I replaced it. If you have a computer with two sticks of ram you could try pulling one out and putting it where the other is. One is usually a master so you may need to do some swapping if you try it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Even without your laptop you are still a great resource for this forum. Going forward invest in a external hard drive and back up often, just kidding but not really. Maybe someone smarter than me could recover whats on the hard drive itself?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Too bad you aren't closer. I'd love to try to clone your drive and see if we can recover it.

·
Super Moderator
4,070 Posts
hard drive is still well connected in there ,
when trying to turn on I hear 5 times 3 beeps
I get Error 0200 Failure fixed disk 0
the after cycling ===> operating system not found
----------------------------
I'm pig headed and spent almost 6 hours on this today .
tend to believe it is time to get a new toy ,
question is ...Apple MAC , or new fast win 10 Laptop ,,,,,
Don't give up on the hard drive just yet, you can buy a USB to SATA hard drive reader and try to recover the files. With the 10 year old laptop, I doubt it's an IDE interface, but if the connector has a bunch of pins then you'll different adapter or a combination one that will have SATA also. I think I have two in my computer toolkit and have recovered a bunch of "lost" hard drives.
It's straight forward to do and if you have problems let me know, I can TeamViewer in to give you a hand.
Unless your already familiar with the iOS ecosystem, stick with a Win10 laptop. Files are handled/stored differently and sometimes not compatible within anything Windows. Same goes for external hardware although that isn't as bad nowadays.
Definitely look into a backup drive and do a back up at least once a month unless you keep lots of files then once a week. A network drive makes this easy to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't give up on the hard drive just yet, you can buy a USB to SATA hard drive reader and try to recover the files. With the 10 year old laptop, I doubt it's an IDE interface, but if the connector has a bunch of pins then you'll different adapter or a combination one that will have SATA also. I think I have two in my computer toolkit and have recovered a bunch of "lost" hard drives.
It's straight forward to do and if you have problems let me know, I can TeamViewer in to give you a hand.
Unless your already familiar with the iOS ecosystem, stick with a Win10 laptop. Files are handled/stored differently and sometimes not compatible within anything Windows. Same goes for external hardware although that isn't as bad nowadays.
Definitely look into a backup drive and do a back up at least once a month unless you keep lots of files then once a week. A network drive makes this easy to do.
Crash is right. I work in IT. Your bios and hardware are fine. Your hd is the problem. Either OS or hd.

Pull the hd, boot system rescue cd and recover what you or pay a data expert. In the future have 2 backups of anything important. Hard drives that spin will usually last 5 years. Solid states are newer, but eventually like usb drives will fail too.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Even Best Buy can recover the files on the disk. It’s almost like losing your wallet. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
847 Posts
well the laptop I have been using to come here for the last 4 years just died ...
beeping sound , associated with Bios start , " no operating system found "
seems the hard drive is dead .
I will no longer be able to link good stuff , as my files are lost ....
I have an old copy somewhere but it is pre-EPA crackdown , pre- Sept 18th 2019 ,
all the newest stuff I collected since then is gone .
I cannot access to help others ,,,,,, going to be quiet for me here unless I get my files back ...
Kazimodo, back up, back up, back up.

I've been down that road, I hope the rest of you that don't backup will start to. In my case it was a virus that locked up my computer, wiped my hard drive clean.

It's inevitable, computers are not infallible, like our trucks.

Good luck

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you do decide to go with Apple you can partition your drive using BootCamp and still have Microsoft boot on your Apple computer. I was looking at Sofa King and it was a requirement. Apparently the ECM is Microsoft compatible. GDE will go the OBD direction once out of the woodwork.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everybody for all the comments and advice ,
a lot of it is above my competences / skills , I'll keep trying ,
necessity is the mother of invention , I guess there is another proverb
for pushing us to learn new unknown out of necessity too , so I'll keep
trying to learn on this IT trouble.
my back up usb stick ( 64 gig ) holds my " Pick Up " file ( 8 gig ), but
last save was in July , I waited too long to refresh , a lot of new stuff
added to the file since then , that is what is lost

·
Registered
795 Posts
If the disk itself is not clicking then it's likely you can recover the data with a software tool. If it's clicking then the hardware is bad and if the files can even be recovered, you would have to send it out to a data recovery service where prices start at $500 and go up from there.

·
Super Moderator
4,070 Posts
Thanks to everybody for all the comments and advice ,
a lot of it is above my competences / skills , I'll keep trying ,
Most likely the HD is SATA, get yourself one of these: (Pull the old hard drive to make sure it's not a 40 pin connector.)
or one similar(make sure it has a power supply) then it's just a matter plugging it all in. Finding the files and changing permission is just a couple of clicks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts