RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 41 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
All stuff that I don't really understand ......
I removed the hard drive , slide it out and in a half dozen times ,
I read it might help the contacts ,
no change , can anyone tell what kind of hard drive
that I've got , just by the looks of it ??? SATA ??

·
Super Moderator
4,070 Posts
All stuff that I don't really understand ......
I removed the hard drive , slide it out and in a half dozen times ,
I read it might help the contacts ,
no change , can anyone tell what kind of hard drive
that I've got , just by the looks of it ??? SATA ?? View attachment 84841
Pull the hard drive out and look at the electrical connector,there should be two connectors that have an L shape to them back to back.
Sort of like this:
(or take a pic of yours and post it)
sata-hard-drive-connector.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,070 Posts
I have same design in my little hard drive, so the cable in post # 20 could be used to power it and access the data inside
IF and only IF the hard drive is not internally FUBAR
Yes that cable should work as that's SATA (Serial ATA) drive. They cables are usually fairly cheap, under $30 US and you need to make sure the set up has a 12 volt power supply. A USB port only supplies 5V, a hard drive needs 12V

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Young guy at electronics store gave me that kit ,
he also had another kit more expensive with different power supply ,
told me the wider side on terminal is all power supply , and narrow side is sata,
I am getting the same 3 beeps , 5 times from the hard disk when I plug it in
the USB port .the light comes on on case /kit , but the drive does not show
when I go to system==> PC , only my 64 gig usb key .
but clicking on usb icon in task bar offers me to eject both , usb key and 3.0 device.
the 3.0 device has to be the hard disk , when I click eject the light turns OFF on the new case .

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Deader than dead...... LOL
I tried all the tricks , last resort I opened up the 320 Go hard disk as in post # 30 ,
after moving little arm to Park position , I saw a little dust particule on the plates ,
blew on it ...DOH ... couple spit balls on the plates , close everything up and
connected it as a external hard drive ,,, no go , it is dead .
I purchased an other Laptop , nothing fancy , but I got the hard disk replaced with a new SSD hard drive ..
WOW those are quick , 10 seconds and computer is opened , yes the whole booting process from complete stop
is 10 seconds ,,,
-----
the regular 1 To hard drive I removed from new Laptop installed in previous Laptop ,
Win 7 ultimate installed in there , and making hundreds of windows updates as we speak ,
good timing because after Jan. 14 ..... no more windows updates for win 7 .
image of new Laptop with a few Tattoos ....

·
Registered
626 Posts
Be careful of ssd hard drives. The research I di was that the more the digital memory gets moved around the more chance of a failed drive. Check it out on Google.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Time will tell namretsud , all the geeks I know say it's a lot better than mechanical hard drives ,
anyways , it performs a lot faster , I will keep more than one Laptop with all my data alive , 6 months worth of collected
info is long work to recuperate , :(

·
Super Moderator
4,070 Posts
Definitely back up your computers on a regular basis, whether it be on an external drive or an on-line storage like Google Drive. For any really important files like pictures do both.
With Google One you get the first 15G for free and then you can have 100G for $20/yr, 200G for $30/yr or 2T for $99/yr(larger available). You can also share that extra storage space.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
847 Posts
Be careful of ssd hard drives. The research I di was that the more the digital memory gets moved around the more chance of a failed drive. Check it out on Google.
The only thing you need to be careful about is backing up your files.

SSD drives work just fine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Being in computers most of my life as well as being a professional photographer, and working for a data recovery company for a couple years before I got married, one thing that has been pounded into my head over and over again is this: Its not if a hard drive will fail, its When. Every hard drive will fail. Keep your data in a minimum of 2 separate locations. I've seen a lot of peoples memories disappear, and I've seen people pay thousands trying to get them back.

My nightmare came true about 8 years ago when I lost about half of a wedding reception worth of pictures and had to confront the client and reimburse them. The money wasn't' the issue, it was the fact that they didn't have pictures of the cake cutting, daddy daughter dance and the couples first dance. It still makes me cringe and my anxiety levels go up when I think about it. I had an SD card go bad and made a few "amateur" mistakes that lead to the images being lost. Never again. My cameras records to 2 separate cards now at the same time, and I backup the cards immediately once I am home.

For laptops, SSD drives are much safer. Mechanical drives fail if they experience too much shock from being bumped around. Thus they fail often in laptops. SSD drives do not experience this kind of failure. I've been using SSD drives for the past 7 years and have only had 2 fail on me, both made by Sandisk. No other SSD has failed me and I write a lot of data.

Looks like you are getting things taken care of. What a pain this has been for you.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
....... I've been using SSD drives for the past 7 years and have only had 2 fail on me, both made by Sandisk. No other SSD has failed me and I write a lot of data.

Looks like you are getting things taken care of. ...
Ah Crap , they made me choose between 2 SSD drives ,
one unknown brand at 70$ , and a San Disk for $110 , I got the San Disk ,,,,,,,,,, not so good it seems .....
taking care of business .....failure is not an option . :giggle:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ah Crap , they made me choose between 2 SSD drives ,
one unknown brand at 70$ , and a San Disk for $110 , I got the San Disk ,,,,,,,,,, not so good it seems .....
taking care of business .....failure is not an option . :giggle:
The SanDisk drives I had fail were early models from 2012 and we're related to a specific hardware controller they had. They seem to be fine these days. I prefer Samsung drives and have had very good luck with them, but you will most likely be fine with the latest SanDisk drives.

Failure sucks. That's for sure. :)

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
36 hours of updates , and 15 reboots later , my old Laptop is running with the mechanical 1To hard drive ,
Windows 7 Ultimate ...
'' today is the last day '' for win 7 windows update . ,,, excuse my french screen
:oops:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Made me take a look. Backup is working fine. Make sure that backed up files are retrievable. Now need a backup of the backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 41 of 40 Posts