RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking into possibly purchasing a used Ecodiesel and wanting honest opinions. I've been looking at these Ecodiesels for a while now and from what I've read its either a love or hate relationship. For the past 8 years I've had a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a 24 valve Cummins engine and have had to do little to nothing to it in that time frame. I even use to joke that I'd replace the engine oil every 20k if it needed it or not. I bought it with 198k miles and sold it with 310k miles and in that time I maybe spent $500 on engine related parts that had failed. I drive about 110 miles a day round trip to work and back, so I've always had two vehicles, a work car and the old Cummins (which even at 21 years old it still got 18+ mpg). But I've decided to sell the car and truck and just buy one newer decent truck but I want to get decent fuel milage, which is why I'm looking at the Ecodiesel. I've recently found a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Tradesman with only 40,000 miles for a decent price. The truck looks to be in great shape and with low milage especially for the year, I'm figuring that it was owned by an older person that took good care of it. I plan on getting rid of all the emission junk by installing the DPF/EGR delete kit by HD Diesel Supply. I know that this is a 1500 Diesel forum so opinions might be a little offset, but if I'm wanting a good, reliable, efficient commuter truck that can occasionally pull my fishing boat and 5k camper is the Ecodiesel a good option or should I just go back to the Cummins?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will throw my two cents in here. I was in a 2004 dodge cummins, put 400,000 miles on it mostly trouble free. You are correct a very steady 18 miles per gallon. Pull anything I could hook up to the hitch. The end of the engine was when an injector failed and took out a piston before I caught it.

I purchased a 2015 outdoorsman ecodiesel with 70,000 miles on it last year. I love the truck but it is no cummins. It will pull your camper and boat just fine. Of course the cummins would pull it better. Not a big shocker, the ecodiesel is a half ton after all.

As someone who performs all my own maintenance the ecodiesel is harder to work on for most things. An example, you can change the water pump on a cummins easily in 45 min if you have done it before. I suspect the eco will take more time ;-). The cummins is a very well documented engine with many aftermarket parts, not as true with the eco. Oil changes on the eco has a procedure, the cummins was drop the oil, change the filter, refill and go. Not that changing the oil is hard on the eco, just takes a little more time. The eco is a heavily computer controlled engine with all kinds of computer interaction. Not that this is a bad thing, just different. My cummins engine was fully deleted, my eco is stock. The cummins will run circles around an eco but the cummins has alot more torque so......

Now for some good things about an eco. It is quiet, clean, smooth and sips fuel. I really enjoy a modern cab with all the gizmos and gadgets (love the seat heater!). The cab is a lot quieter than my old 2004. With the emissions intact the exhaust tail pipe is clean, no soot on the edge of the bumper. The eco sits a little lower to the ground which is nice. If I'm in a drive thru I can keep the eco engine running and still order a burger and fries (I still shutdown to be courteous to the one taking the order). The eco is just a smooth running engine, going down the road it is just smooth power and the 8 speed trans is a good match for the motor.

Got to mention fuel economy here, at 55 - 60 mph I can tickle 30 mpg. 65 to 70 mph I'm doing 24 - 25 mpg. 75 to 80 mpg I get 21 - 22 mpg. The cummins could never do that! I have noticed wind will affect the mileage, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Around town I usually get 20 - 22 mpg. These are my real world figures using a calculator and tracking miles.

The eco has had some bad engines and it seems like luck of the draw, some will get a good one and others will not. The replacement cost of an eco engine is a bit steep for what you get. Finding a good mechanic for the eco might cause some headaches, heck finding a good mechanic these days is a challenge.

Just my thoughts, if you plan to short trip an eco (or any modern diesel), get a gasser. The eco really wants to warm up. I have noticed the truck is warmed up when the oil temp climbs above the water temp, after that it is purring like a kitten. If you cannot drive it with some regularity and get it up to temp on the highway then get a gasser.

The eco likes to be worked, that is highway driving and/or pulling a trailer. With 110 miles per day commute it should be good.

Only you can make the choice, yes the eco has a history, some good, some bad. So does every other car/truck out there. I have heard some bad mouth a cummins, power stroke, d-max, detroit, cat, international, ect..... Todays vehicles all have issues, pick your devil and go. If this is a concern look into extended warranties and maybe that will ease your mind and wallet.

Hope this helps,

Brian

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
You are already on the right track getting it tuned.

Reactions: Gputah

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'll probably go against the grain here. I wouldn't do it if you don't want to worry about when the engine might fail. We've gone on a lot of very long trips into Mexico and Baja and Canada (not so much a worry in Canada) but the thought of being stranded is kind of always in the back of my mind. I do have 40k miles on mine with a Four Wheel Camper and have had no issues other than having to take it in about every year for recalls. If you are coming from a Cummins and get 18mpg I would stick with that. I mean if you are towing, etc. you will probably get 21mpg w/ an ED and that delta wouldn't be enough for me to change. Now the newer trucks have a lot of bells and whistles which are nice so it depends on what you are after.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main concern is reliability and efficiency, I totally understand that this engine is in no way a Cummins when it comes to power and I never really needed the 3/4 ton part either. I just knew that the Cummins was bullet proof and got decent fuel milage compared to gasser 3/4 tons. But since I'm down sizing to just one vehicle, it has to be a truck and since I'm driving about 600 miles a week just to go to work I want efficiency. I had really high hopes for the Ecodiesel but after reading all the horror stories I'm starting to back pedal. It just seems concerning to me that I had a 21 year old truck with 300k plus miles and could literally throw anything at and it would keep on chugging along and then I read about people doing everything right and taking care of these Ecodiesels and then they fail. I just doesn't make since to me that I would "upgrade" to something that I have to worry about even if I baby it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I don't think you'll find any new vehicle out there without some sort of negative press/blog/forum that would be enough to keep that inner voice from continually shouting in your ear that your particular vehicle will be the biggest lemon of them all. You just need to read the horror stories for what many of them are, isolated failures. Those failures get more reponses and input from others either trying to help the person or just trying to understand the why it failed and what can I do to keep mine from failing.

Since my first new car purchase in 1982, I've bought 11 other brand new cars and several used. If I look back, the only car that really paid for itself in longevity and low service costs is probably the one that I liked driving the least. That's teh 05 Corolla that my daughter is still driving today with around 210,000 miles on it. She doing about 60 miles a day commute.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My main concern is reliability and efficiency, I totally understand that this engine is in no way a Cummins when it comes to power and I never really needed the 3/4 ton part either. I just knew that the Cummins was bullet proof and got decent fuel milage compared to gasser 3/4 tons. But since I'm down sizing to just one vehicle, it has to be a truck and since I'm driving about 600 miles a week just to go to work I want efficiency. I had really high hopes for the Ecodiesel but after reading all the horror stories I'm starting to back pedal. It just seems concerning to me that I had a 21 year old truck with 300k plus miles and could literally throw anything at and it would keep on chugging along and then I read about people doing everything right and taking care of these Ecodiesels and then they fail. I just doesn't make since to me that I would "upgrade" to something that I have to worry about even if I baby it.
LOL ! The Sky is NOT falling............. Ask Vern about Reliability...

·
Registered
2018 Outdoorsman
4 Posts
It's refreshing to read a balance of responses. Signed up to another forum and left within a day because it was nothing but griping about how their engine blew up or asking how to delete the EGR.

·
Super Moderator
3,553 Posts
Welcome to our forum.

Tune & delete is good.
Your duty cycle is good.

No warranty is bad. But it appears you are used to doing your own & proper maintenance as well as with being with no warranty. Fact is the ED has a higher fail rate. I suspect 4 to 5% by 100k for various reasons some quite possibly owner / dealership inflicted many are simply not. I think this truck is a reasonable risk for your tune & duty cycle but only you can decide. If an engine fails post warranty but under 100k since you are starting at 40k I would press for replacement. As with its history you would have a case and FCA doesn't want any more bad publicity for this motor.

2020 new redesigned EDs likely not going to be an issue. But bad PR from 14-19 can taint and sentence the 2020 & beyond and its likely going to prove to be a stellar motor. As example the 3 trucks and before had rust issues. Ram fixed it with gen 4 IE 09 & up but there are still people that won't buy a Ram/Dodge for fear it will rust apart.

BTW my first ED motor was tuned at 33k and made it to 371k before pushing a head gasket. Likely caused by long towing low coolant from leaking EGR cooler. But bearings showed to be about toast anyway.

fwiw I never follow any procedure with my oil changes. I do it on the quick. Between me and my friends 2019 Cummins 2500 its far easier & cheaper to change the oil & fuel filters on the Ecodiesel.
You may like this thread. Newb 14 - 19 dos & don'ts maintenance

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm looking into possibly purchasing a used Ecodiesel and wanting honest opinions. I've been looking at these Ecodiesels for a while now and from what I've read its either a love or hate relationship. For the past 8 years I've had a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a 24 valve Cummins engine and have had to do little to nothing to it in that time frame. I even use to joke that I'd replace the engine oil every 20k if it needed it or not. I bought it with 198k miles and sold it with 310k miles and in that time I maybe spent $500 on engine related parts that had failed. I drive about 110 miles a day round trip to work and back, so I've always had two vehicles, a work car and the old Cummins (which even at 21 years old it still got 18+ mpg). But I've decided to sell the car and truck and just buy one newer decent truck but I want to get decent fuel milage, which is why I'm looking at the Ecodiesel. I've recently found a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Tradesman with only 40,000 miles for a decent price. The truck looks to be in great shape and with low milage especially for the year, I'm figuring that it was owned by an older person that took good care of it. I plan on getting rid of all the emission junk by installing the DPF/EGR delete kit by HD Diesel Supply. I know that this is a 1500 Diesel forum so opinions might be a little offset, but if I'm wanting a good, reliable, efficient commuter truck that can occasionally pull my fishing boat and 5k camper is the Ecodiesel a good option or should I just go back to the Cummins?
Hi: DGM1984... I love my EcoDiesel. It's a mind over matter thing. If you don't mind it doesn't matter!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
P1040820.JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picked the 2016 Ram Ecodiesel up yesterday and drove it about 450 miles home. It threw a code for "Service Electronic Brake System" and disabled my traction control system. The strange part is that I wasn't even using the brake control system and when it faulted it was like flashing off and on with the fault, before eventually staying on. I tried videoing it but was too slow with my phone. Hopefully its nothing major. As for the engine every thing seems to be running great. It's a little sluggish off the start but then again it is only a 3.0L. As for milage, on fairly flat interstate at 70mph I averaged 28.5-30mpg. Once I hit some hills the milage dropped down to around 26.5-27mpg.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts