RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While washing my new truck the other day I kept noticing the mirror turn signal lights flashing sporadically. It only seemed to be happening when I was near the drivers or passengers door. I thought maybe the system flashed the lights as you approach and maybe I was right on the edge of its range. Took the keys out of my pocket and set them aside and didn't see it happen again until I clayed/washed the next day.

Took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on. Apparently whatever type of sensor is used on the door handles to unlock can also be triggered by water. I repeatedly sprayed the hose near the door handle and everytime the truck tried to unlock. Odd but just a an FYI in case anyone else is thinking their truck is going haywire.

·
Registered
104 Posts
While washing my new truck the other day I kept noticing the mirror turn signal lights flashing sporadically. It only seemed to be happening when I was near the drivers or passengers door. I thought maybe the system flashed the lights as you approach and maybe I was right on the edge of its range. Took the keys out of my pocket and set them aside and didn't see it happen again until I clayed/washed the next day.

Took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on. Apparently whatever type of sensor is used on the door handles to unlock can also be triggered by water. I repeatedly sprayed the hose near the door handle and everytime the truck tried to unlock. Odd but just a an FYI in case anyone else is thinking their truck is going haywire.
Did you happen to have the fob in your pocket while you were washing the truck?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I also noticed that the doors were activating when hit with water from a hose when I had the key fob in my pocket. I think the lock button on the outside of the door handle is the culprit. Set the key out of range (or turn off the feature in Uconnect) and this no longer happens.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
lol @ bigfoot - i swear i just did the same thing on wednesday. took me a moment to realize what it was, but sure enough, direct water from hose and key fob in pocket = unlocking doors & flashing lights. :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
You have to wash your truck? In eastern North Carolina we just wait a day or two for a huge downpour to clean the truck. I just hope I remembered to close the sunroof.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yah thats normal. Almost all cars that have the keyless entry do this. Once water hits the handle area and the FOB is nearby it will unlock the car. Solution.... Keep the fob away from the car when washing. I had to do this all the time with my BMW.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts