RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Kill switch wiring

4K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  MRTuning 
#1 ·
Hi,

Curious if anyone has done a kill switch that would still allow auto start to function?

Trying to figure out what circuit one would interrupt that would allow it to start, but not drive? Just looking for something simple given the rash of thefts where I am.

#2 ·
maybe you could put something in the brake switch circuit? since you have to press the brake pedal and hit the start button even if the truck has been remote started. If you interrupt the signal from the brake switch, the computer won't be able to see if the pedal is pressed or not, and won't allow you to shift into gear.

IDK if anybody has ever done this, or if it's even possible without causing other damage, but it might be worth looking into.

Reactions: keiths487too
#3 ·
No way to do it and still protect the vehicle. The way a kill switch works is it keeps the vehicle from starting until you switch it off. You could design a remote system that you can remotely turn on and off but that would be costly.

#6 ·
Pour a concrete cube 4' deep, put a looped rebar on the top and chain the truck to the tow hook or the eyelet for the trailer chains on the hitch with a big lock.... sometimes the simple way is the way.... don't remote start if you're not home. the other thing you could do is put a line lock in the brake system and activate it from your unlock button on the key fob.

#8 ·
Move to a safer place. Keep it in a locked garage. Get a parking boot and lock it on so it cannot be moved easily. Add a loud motion alarm triggering when any door or window is opened. When you hear it or are alerted, visit the truck with a loaded shotgun.

#10 ·
Maybe I don't understand your question, BUT.... My 14 Ram Laramie with remote keyless entry locks the doors as soon as you push the remote start button. Then you have to have the key fob with you to open the doors. So how could it be driven if you can't get into the truck?

#11 ·
if you pull the start button out and check there will be a red power wire there. splice that wired put a rocker switch between that red wire. hide your rocker switch in your preferred location. You will still be able to remote start and use your remote as normal. when you need to push the remote start button to go into normal function it does nothing until you flip the rocker switch.

#12 ·
Did the install on the kill switch today. Works great!
So basically what it does is disable the push start button. You can still remote start the vehicle but once you get into the truck and push the start button I does nothing. Which means you can not put the vehicle in drive or release the parking brake. Even when you get into the vehicle (without remote starting) the vehicle will not start until you turn it on with the newly installed rocker switch. Very simple install for those that are so inclined. $3.00 rocker switch and 45 min of your time will keep your truck from being stolen

#20 ·
I was going to say it might help to have Uconnect tracking, or put an AirTag device somewhere in the truck. At least that way you can track it.

I do like the kill switch idea though; @5650 care to share the how-to as a PM?
post # 11 , pull out the start button , locate red wire , cut it , add your secret looking switch located in secret location
that will make that wire active or not ....
I also like that idea , Thanks 5650, you now have a truck with secret looking switch , just like Biff did , in Back to the Future ....!

I wonder if my key start switch is as easy to mod ???

#24 ·
I can't find the thread but it was discussed a few years back , there is a switch out there that detects your finger thru plastic ,
so the switch coud be placed anywhere behind the dash , and no holes drilled ,
you run your finger over the plastic where the switch is located , and voila On/Off ,
I don't know the name of those switches , Is it " touch switch " ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.