RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the FCA rust proofing done when i initially purchased the truck (1 year ago) but wondering if I should get aftermarket rust proofing done (Krown or another business).

Has anyone here got rust proofing done on their truck, any shop recommendations to get it done and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got the FCA rust proofing done when i initially purchased the truck (1 year ago) but wondering if I should get aftermarket rust proofing done (Krown or another business).

Has anyone here got rust proofing done on their truck, any shop recommendations to get it done and how much did it cost?
I did the same. Got the factory rustproof but I'm still going to take my truck to Krown. I believe it's $169.00 for trucks. I'm hoping to book this weekend. Picked up my truck in may 2016

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
I researched available rust proofing a lot, and went with yearly krown. $169. ****ers scratched my 5 day old truck with they're drill chuck, but can't hold the whole chain down due to one local idiot, from what I hear Krown is the best (or any type of penetrating drip oil system). Hopefully it helps, b/c from what I've seen of 5+ year old rams, they have a rust problem.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Down here in the states, Fluid Film is more common than Krown. I had never actually heard of Krown until a few months ago. A coworker had his new Rebel done by Krown. He seemed pleased with the job they did, but only time will tell. I believe Krown is very common up in Canada, and I'm sure you guys know a thing or two about rusting vehicles. I use the Fluid Film because I can buy it and apply it myself for cheap. It costs about $50 a gallon. I paid around $40 for my sprayer. A gallon of the Fluid Film will totally soak a pickup at least 3 times.
I haven't actually seen the Krown substance, so I don't really know how it compares to Fluid Film. If you want to save money, and don't mind doing it yourself, Fluid Film is probably a good option. I used it on my 2009 car that I bought new and drove it 150,000 miles and never had any rust issues at all.

Either way, it's better than doing nothing at all.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Full disclosure first -> my Brother In-Law has the Krown in Kingston, and I am good friends with the individuals who came up with the idea/own the company.

Getting that out of the way, i have always oiled my cars with Krown. It is true that some dealers will be better than others - > the whole downside of Franchises. But Krown stands behind its product, so if the local dealer is a problem, I would escalate to Corporate. For example, when a new vehicle comes out, Corporate will get one, and see what they have to do to spray it properly - that includes where to drill holes, etc. (and the goal is to drill as little as possible) - then the dealers are trained on this is how you spray this particular car - so there really shouldn't be issues when it comes to how it down.

I use the Barrie dealer - who I am also friends with (lol).

For the Northern States, Krown is slowly expanding in that area.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm in Brampton, but go to the Krown franchise in Caledon. They're very thorough and the inside of the truck stays clean. It's worth the extra 15 minute drive
Is that the one in Bolton? Rod owns that. He had a place in mississauga. He makes sure your vehicle gets soaked. Very good place. Brought many of my vehicles to him.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm happy with Krown, the key is to reapply it annually.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Full disclosure first -> my Brother In-Law has the Krown in Kingston, and I am good friends with the individuals who came up with the idea/own the company.

Getting that out of the way, i have always oiled my cars with Krown. It is true that some dealers will be better than others - > the whole downside of Franchises. But Krown stands behind its product, so if the local dealer is a problem, I would escalate to Corporate. For example, when a new vehicle comes out, Corporate will get one, and see what they have to do to spray it properly - that includes where to drill holes, etc. (and the goal is to drill as little as possible) - then the dealers are trained on this is how you spray this particular car - so there really shouldn't be issues when it comes to how it down.

I use the Barrie dealer - who I am also friends with (lol).

For the Northern States, Krown is slowly expanding in that area.
Good, tell them the guys in Etobicoke at near Queensway and Kipling are a ****ing joke and they should have their franchise removed.

We used to take all of our fleet vehicles there, and then management changed, and we've stopped using Krown completely because of them. We did about 10 vehicles + 4 personal vehicles, all pick-up trucks. Not one of them left a single drip of oil where it was parked after getting it back. Before, we'd have reams and reams of cardboard soaked to the brim for a week or two after the spray. They didn't pull any of the plugs on my personal vehicle, or drill any holes. They sprayed the engine bay and the front axle. The rear end was bone dry. I also paid for the window treatment, and my window was filthy before I brought it in - and the filth was still there afterwards.

We escalated it to Corporate and all they suggested was to take our stuff to another place and try them. No money back, no voucher for service, no apology for the poor service (only an apology for the new management)

I always Krowned my trucks twice a year (before and after winter) until that experience. With my ED I just have my dealer do it, even if they take it to Krown at least I don't have to deal with the company myself.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
I went to the one in Barrie on Cross St off Tiffin. There was one adult and the rest were either co-op students or the local boys skipping school. Almost dropped a truck off the hoist onto mine. Needless to say, I wouldn't ever recommend them or go back there.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've purchased all the equipment so I am able to do this job myself. Too many horror stories of vehicles getting damaged, oil going where its not supposed to, or lack of oil period. I do it myself for a third of the price and know that it will be done to my satisfaction. Krown or Corrosion Free are the way to go if you must pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've purchased all the equipment so I am able to do this job myself. Too many horror stories of vehicles getting damaged, oil going where its not supposed to, or lack of oil period. I do it myself for a third of the price and know that it will be done to my satisfaction. Krown or Corrosion Free are the way to go if you must pay someone to do it.
Corrosion Free - From what I found online that's mostly done by Candian Tire? Don't know if I'd trust them to do the work..

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Corrosion Free - From what I found online that's mostly done by Candian Tire? Don't know if I'd trust them to do the work..
There are other private dealers that do Corrosion Free if you look on the dealer network. Had mine done at Ted Shier Automotive in Barrie. Very clean working garage, no mess afterwards.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I use Krown in burlington. Paul and the boys do a fantastic job every time. My buddy had an early 80s gmc jimmy and he had it krowned every year for 18 years with no rust. Someone hit him in the front end so he went and got bumper, fender and hood from the wreckers. They had to torch the bolts to get them off. His bolts were as good as new and came right off with a hand wrench. He swears by it. I'm going in next week for my third coating on my 2014.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts