RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the GDE Tune for 10,000 miles. I installed the new ECU at about 45,000, and my truck just rolled over 55,000. Like nearly every other GDE tuned truck, I experienced all of the great benefits: turbo lag virtually gone, increased MPG, and the EGR shutoff. However, in the last few weeks, the lag in the transmission/turbo (not really sure - I've read it referred to each way) has returned.

I've been very intentional about paying attention to it, and it sounds and feels very similar to how the truck performed pre-GDE. The first little bit on the pedal, not much happens, and then the truck will "surge" ahead. Someone suggested a boost leak. Could that be a possibility? How would I check on that? I've also read on here that the MAP sensor may have something to do with this issue. I've never had the sensor off or cleaned, so maybe that would be a good idea either way. On that same thread where I learned about the possibility of the MAP sensor, another guy said this is exactly what happened to his truck before he experienced total failure of his engine.

Looking for input as I'm slightly concerned about this. Maybe I have no reason to be, but I wanted to ask others more knowledgeable than I. Thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've had the GDE Tune for 10,000 miles. I installed the new ECU at about 45,000, and my truck just rolled over 55,000. Like nearly every other GDE tuned truck, I experienced all of the great benefits: turbo lag virtually gone, increased MPG, and the EGR shutoff. However, in the last few weeks, the lag in the transmission/turbo (not really sure - I've read it referred to each way) has returned.

I've been very intentional about paying attention to it, and it sounds and feels very similar to how the truck performed pre-GDE. The first little bit on the pedal, not much happens, and then the truck will "surge" ahead. Someone suggested a boost leak. Could that be a possibility? How would I check on that? I've also read on here that the MAP sensor may have something to do with this issue. I've never had the sensor off or cleaned, so maybe that would be a good idea either way. On that same thread where I learned about the possibility of the MAP sensor, another guy said this is exactly what happened to his truck before he experienced total failure of his engine.

Looking for input as I'm slightly concerned about this. Maybe I have no reason to be, but I wanted to ask others more knowledgeable than I. Thanks.
Check your MAP sensor first. It's a 10-15 min job. And then you can rule out that issue is it's still there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Funny this came up...I just about got hit today because I "went for it" expecting it to be there and it wasn't, instead getting a very pronounced lag...today was the first I noticed it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Test your GDE tune with your cruise control, should engage at 25(?). The other thing the lag is not removed completely, just reduced significantly. Finally contact GDE see what they have to say about this.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Test your GDE tune with your cruise control, should engage at 25(?). The other thing the lag is not removed completely, just reduced significantly. Finally contact GDE see what they have to say about this.

Just my thoughts.
I indeed tried that. The cruise will still engage at 15 MPH, and I have not been back to the dealership since installing the tune, so there isn't any way the tune has been overwritten. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your thoughts!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same problem too!! What I have noticed is if I put my foot into it hard, the turbo will spool up and then it like the transmission will grab and then I am barking the tires!!!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
If your not coming to a good complete stop a lot of times the lag is the truck trying to start in second gear instead of first and then the jolt is it downshifting to first. Sounds like yals problem to me.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Doubt it. The cruise control is a GDE feature at low speed. Must still be there.

Transmission slip? There is a time that can happen when that transmission wants to downshift, takes a split second and pressing the throttle gets you nothing until the transmission shift is complete. Just a guess and hope nothing is really wrong.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Doubt it. The cruise control is a GDE feature at low speed. Must still be there.

Transmission slip? There is a time that can happen when that transmission wants to downshift, takes a split second and pressing the throttle gets you nothing until the transmission shift is complete. Just a guess and hope nothing is really wrong.
Which is exactly the situation I described and is a known occurrence for many.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Not sure an automatic transmission delay is unusual.

With my manual transmissions it takes time to shift the gear box, move the clutch in and out to finally get a driveline connection. Automatics for passenger vehicles are not some kind of race transmission. There are delays while things shift. Surely some can be made (read expensive) that have quick shifts or some kind of near instant shifting procedure. We are not in a racing situation. Putting along public roads does not require high-tech racing power and gear changes.

Often thing many of us need to put our driving needs in perspective and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure an automatic transmission delay is unusual.

With my manual transmissions it takes time to shift the gear box, move the clutch in and out to finally get a driveline connection. Automatics for passenger vehicles are not some kind of race transmission. There are delays while things shift. Surely some can be made (read expensive) that have quick shifts or some kind of near instant shifting procedure. We are not in a racing situation. Putting along public roads does not require high-tech racing power and gear changes.

Often thing many of us need to put our driving needs in perspective and enjoy the ride.
That's a good point. It just seemed that the lag was nearly gone upon installation of the tuned ECM, and now it's back to what it was like before the tune. But like you said, maybe it doesn't really matter! I just hope my engine isn't slowing imploding... haha. If that happens, well, like anything else, I'd deal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's a good point. It just seemed that the lag was nearly gone upon installation of the tuned ECM, and now it's back to what it was like before the tune. But like you said, maybe it doesn't really matter! I just hope my engine isn't slowing imploding... haha. If that happens, well, like anything else, I'd deal.
I have noticed the same. I thought I was just imagining things. Should we all call GDE? Maybe they will read this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have noticed the same. I thought I was just imagining things. Should we all call GDE? Maybe they will read this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Maybe we're both imagining things... ha. No, we're definitely not. The transmission downshifting thought may be what's going on, but I'm not totally sure that's it. I'll come to a complete stop, use the toggle button on the steering wheel to ensure that the truck is in 1st gear, and I'll still experience the lag. Again, maybe this could be my misunderstanding of how our trucks' transmission works, but I wasn't experiencing this for a couple months after tune.

I called GDE upon noticing this for a couple weeks. They suggested I check for a boost leak, and thought maybe I was experiencing the lag during regens and just didn't realize that was a side-effect of a regen (which, truth-be-told, I didn't know). They also said it should have nothing to do with the MAP sensor. I think I'm going to clean the sensor regardless.

I have yet to check for a boost leak because I'm not really sure how to do that. They mentioned something about pouring soapy water somewhere and watching for bubbles. I totally get that concept, but I'm not sure where I'd be pouring the water... Anyway, that's where I'm at.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have to admit, I was also noticing the same thing. I had just returned from a 5000km trip towing over 5000 lbs, so I thought maybe the computer had to relearn driving without a trailer. My truck still sets cruise at low speed, so GDE is still there, not too worried, but seems different than before.

Oh yeah, my mileage also seems a little worse than before too...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts