RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I'm startin to go stir crazy! I really had my heart set on the Outdoorsman but after pricing them I'm thinking the Laramie has a better bang for the buck?

Big factors for me:
•Heated seats and steering wheel
•I love the dual zone climate control (why isn't it offered on other trims, my 2003 Sierra had it for Pete's sake?!)
•bench seat (restricted on outdoorsman now)
•ok I don't need leather but it's fine.
•17" wheels
•3.92 with tow package
•back up camera

Now I believe there are other bling factors in the Laramie like I believe LED lighting in different places but what else am I missing? Seems like for 1800-2000 more I'm getting more options than what they are worth coming out of the OutD package. Anyone have more input?

Thank you!

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

·
Registered
84 Posts
I see one thing on your list of options that you will not be able to get. the 3.92 gear are only offered with the 20" wheels. So if you want 17" wheels you will have to get 3.55 gears.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see one thing on your list of options that you will not be able to get. the 3.92 gear are only offered with the 20" wheels. So if you want 17" wheels you will have to get 3.55 gears.
Why do they have these weird prohibitions like this! Or OWL tires exclude a Ram Box? <--Made that one up (I think)

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

·
Registered
940 Posts
Started there and went Laramie...then Longhorn. Happy happy.

·
Registered
458 Posts
With the laramie too - heat/cool vented front seats, heated rears....and we have dual exhaust tips for the panty dropping looks and teh horsepowaz.

Downside: too....much....shiney....stuff

·
Registered
505 Posts
In 2012 I went with the Big Horn model. It didn't take long to wish I had a Laramie. I made up for that this time around with my Laramie Ecodiesel. If you go with the Laramie you'll have no regrets.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was shopping for a Big Horn - test drove it/priced it, etc. Wife saw Laramie. Said I would probably like it better - and she was right. Bought Laramie.

Unless you need more towing capacity and/or payload - IMO the Laramie is very nice.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm didn't think about tow and payload capacity diminishing. I'll need to see how much it impacts it. I have a 29' Jayco weighing dry at 5500lbs.

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

·
Registered
104 Posts
My Laramie (3.92's) pulls my 27' Jayco just fine! Go Laramie! (4800lbs dry)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
So your tongue weight it - 550 pounds or so? Payload on my Laramie is 892. I am 200 :eek: - my wife is 140. My usual tongue weight is about 300. That leaves me about 400 pounds to spare (taking 50 pounds off me, as supposedly RAM calculates that number assuming 1 person at 150 pounds is already in the truck).

I am a newbie at this - as I never thought of payload in my previous vehicle (and should have) - so anyone with more experience please feel free to correct.

Your tow weight is fine 5500 shouldn't matter - it will be the payload number you need to watch.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I think it's now impossible to get 3.92 with the ED unless I build it in longhorn. Then I can't get the bench! These silly restrictions are driving me insane! I can't be the only guy that wants max seating, the best tow capacity and my butt and hands to be warm (comfort group). I literally can't build it aaarrrgh!

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts