RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have any information why I cannot order a Laramie longhorn with a sunroof and air ride and ram box option? I have not been given a real answer other then "I don't know" from the dealer I want to use. Owner called Windsor to ask and their answer was the same. Air ride issue is a supplier issue and has been since they introduced it a year ago. Any info would be great.

Cheers, Joe.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Don't have any answers to your questions. Dealers can't get anything to come up on their computers in the U.S. yet.

Do know there's lots of inexpensive rear air bags available aftermarket. They won't be as "trick" as four from the factory but if needed are available.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Does anyone here have any information why I cannot order a Laramie longhorn with a sunroof and air ride and ram box option? I have not been given a real answer other then "I don't know" from the dealer I want to use. Owner called Windsor to ask and their answer was the same. Air ride issue is a supplier issue and has been since they introduced it a year ago. Any info would be great.

Cheers, Joe.
On Dec 23/13 I ordered a Limited eco-diesel which comes standard with the air-ride and I also ordered it with the sunroof. The only thing that showed up as not being available was the Rambox option. I have heard the few extra pounds the Rambox weighs may be an issue; especially if you are ordering it with the 6' 5" box. You might try ordering it with the 5' 7" box and/or ordering the Limited. I have talked to the dealer since ordering and saw my order on his computer (I even have the VIN) and no issues showed up with my order. Production is due to start up January 21 so I am hoping it might be here in February since I had one of the early orders????

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

Cheers, Joe.
I would guess it's a weight restriction. A base 4x4 Longhorn with 6'4" box has a payload of only 920 lbs. The minimum legal payload is the occupant capacity at 150 lbs per person or 750 lbs which leaves only 170 lbs for options. The Rambox takes 150 lbs and the sunroof 33 lbs which is 13 lbs too much. The 5'7" box starts at 960 lbs payload so it would work with both options.

Yes, it does not make much sense but this is the way Ram seems to play the weight game.

·
Registered
279 Posts
[Yes, it does not make much sense but this is the way Ram seems to play the weight game.[/QUOTE]

The weight-game is right... Ram is gambling, and over time the light payload is probably the single biggest negative at least to me. When the GMC Sierra is 1975 pounds and the Laramie crew with options I picked is 1140 pounds..... Sure a good percentage of the time the truck will be hauling me, hunting or fishing buddy, wife, dog, small stuff... so 1140 pounds is OK.... but with 3 or 4 guys, that leaves for almost nothing.... and firewood would not even be over the top of the side/gate and it would be over loaded....
I was reading in truck trend the new Mercedes SUV has a payload that's about the same as the Ram..... something aint right with that picture - this is a truck afterall......

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The weight-game is right... Ram is gambling, and over time the light payload is probably the single biggest negative at least to me. When the GMC Sierra is 1975 pounds and the Laramie crew with options I picked is 1140 pounds..... Sure a good percentage of the time the truck will be hauling me, hunting or fishing buddy, wife, dog, small stuff... so 1140 pounds is OK.... but with 3 or 4 guys, that leaves for almost nothing.... and firewood would not even be over the top of the side/gate and it would be over loaded....
I was reading in truck trend the new Mercedes SUV has a payload that's about the same as the Ram..... something aint right with that picture - this is a truck afterall......
This is one reason why I am keeping a 2500 2wd as an option myself. I don't mind being 100 or 200 over payload, but if it is way too close, I will opt for the 2500. Just wish the 2500 had the 5.0 for a little better fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Now we get back to the question I posed in this discussion about how much faith do we put in the weight ratings? I've done more research on the topic including email exchanges with a Ram employee and researching government regulations. The answers are very general and don't help much. So many rules depend on the precise weight ratings marked on the vehicle and yet the ratings are poorly defined. :mad:

From what I can tell the GVWR is more a regulatory number with no clear standards, and the payload rating which is derived from GVWR is a guideline (even though Ram often writes about it in absolute terms). In practice if we don't exceed the tire, wheel and axle ratings and drive appropriately to the load, we're probably good. Excess capacity that we rarely use is expensive, and excess load on occasion is probably built into the numbers.

Reactions: JAK

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ron4969, you are correct. I just placed an order this past weekend for a 1500 Longhorn with air suspection, 5'7" box, sunroof, protection group, wheel to wheel running boards, and tried for a rambox. The system said I could not get a rambox. After speaking with several Chrysler Canada reps, 1 finally knew what was happening and it does boil down to a GVRW issue. Rather rediculas if you ask me...13lbs over? Its a pickup! Anyway, this limitation is only applied to Longhorn and Limited model's - Laramie trim levels can get a rambox with air suspention, sunroof, running boards, and protection group. Hopefully this is one of the issues that will be addressed in the upcoming 2015 models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts