RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Take a ride with me. Transporting their is gold in them thar hills.. well peanuts sort of have a golden color. 40 miles from the house I dropped in the Airstream plant. Picked up a monster 33 Classic 8,807 pounds dry. (Max tow on ye ole Ecodiesel is 8800) Stickers for $150,000! Beautiful wood cabinetry granite type countertops butter soft leather etc. etc. Lol I never inquired what I could get it for with my discount. :rolleyes: Towed it 130 miles to our staging lot. Still towed 65 over the flat lands straight as an arrow but I’m sure Mighty Mouse was glad to get her off the hitch. 1,100 pounds tongue weight!

At the staging lot I dropped it off and picked up a 25’ 5,500 pound unit and took it 2,225 miles to a Fairfield CA dealership between Sacramento and San Francisco. An uneventful trip but lots of beautiful country side from rich green valleys to white salt flats to dark green evergreens & rocky tops over Donners pass near lake Tahoe blue as you come down into Sacramento. In no time she was washed inspected and I was set free. Off I go 120 miles to the Gladiator boat plant in Merced CA. World class tow (ski) boats is their claim. In no time ye ole Ecodiesel is sporting a brand new world class ski boat. Off I go 550 miles to a Bend OR dealership. Boat dealerships are always interesting places lots of eye candy.

Shortly she is inspected and I’m off 300 miles to Wenatchee WA to another boat dealership where I pickup another new boat to take back to the Mfgr in Merced 872 miles. Seems something came loose in shipping the first time and scarred up the fiberglass. Crazy beautiful countryside through there. I’ll share a few pics. Unfortunately nothing going east that I was willing to wait on. So 2,350 miles home. So I take a week at home change oil mow grass see fam and prep for the next trip. Destination Buda TX a 30’ non classic 6,750 pounds. Hope you enjoyed your trip.

F5D3F884-E6EF-44F4-AF87-302F13B968B4.jpeg
A4FAFA06-E8DB-440D-B2D5-421862AD1196.jpeg
4C4216E7-1D25-43DF-84E8-40320210ABE3.jpeg
14605AEE-8079-4B7B-9C96-24818A1E86B9.jpeg
A54ED00A-927C-4F00-83DD-50D0E4307140.jpeg
729CF8E3-0561-42DA-A51A-6F1E421C3D08.jpeg
098FDD20-1A8D-4910-B8AE-B8C50D23FA02.jpeg

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bummer you didn't have anything on the hitch coming home but I sure appreciate the travel log of the trips out West!

Your EcoD has certainly proved itself with all the pulls over the Rockies and back - and ya ain't babying it either! Even that 8800 pounder for 130 miles is pretty cool ;-)

Thanks for the post, Vern. Really enjoyed riding along with you.

Bob

·
Registered
166 Posts
Are you thinking of upgrading to the new 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel when it comes out? Sure would give you extra capacity when towing some of those big loads which are stretching your current truck's limits. It's quite impressive seeing what you've been able to tow with the current generation of Ecodiesel. Gives us all hope that our trucks will give us as good of service. BTW: I used to live near Dayton in Liberty Township, Butler County. I worked in downtown Dayton at Mead for several years before they moved their headquarters to Richmond, VA.

·
Super Moderator
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Johnny Cash !! :cool:

Yeah small world. Perhaps in time I’ll get the new ED after there is a tune for it. 480 torque with 8 speed 3.92 is good to go but I would love to see 300 HP. This one is still remarkably solid interior exterior transmission. Motor is still under warranty for 6 more months so I’m maintaining it documenting it and taking full advantage of it. In fact at 571 on the clock she just turned 200k. So far she is not using any oil or loosing any coolant and is running flawlessly. I’ve only had one issue with this truck since I got the new motor and that was a load of dirty fuel shortly after I got it but has literally run like a top ever since. I change my mopar fuel filter / water separator every 30k.

https://www.ipu.co.uk/diesel-contamination/particulate-contamination/

·
Registered
688 Posts
Vern,

Again, you tire me out. Making those runs and working the "hauls" to get continuous towing, too bad the run home was empty.
I love that country and impressed that you take time to get some great pictures. Where is that river canyon shot?
If you get a new truck are you staying with the Ecodiesel or going to the Cummins?
My friends with the new Cummins are easily getting 17+ mpg at 75-85 mph empty and 10-12 towing.
My brother got 22 mpg on one 300+ mile trip in Oregon.
They all tow heavy and all say the Cummins doesn't even know it's towing something.

Thanks for the ride, very enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Nice trip and write up. So how does one get into this line of work? I'm in "early retirement" right now, perfect job to start

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No but I would love to run the GDE turbo! The river canyon shot is in central Oregon on 97 between Klamath Falls & Bend. I don’t know what I will run next hope to be with this one for awhile. When I run with a Cummins say 6k at 65 he will use 20 percent more fuel which is the single biggest expense and comes directly off the profit line. That said as the speed or weight goes up the spread shrinks pretty quickly. The ED is also a very comfortable ride.

·
Registered
688 Posts
No but I would love to run the GDE turbo! The river canyon shot is in central Oregon on 97 between Klamath Falls & Bend. I don’t know what I will run next hope to be with this one for awhile. When I run with a Cummins say 6k at 65 he will use 20 percent more fuel which is the single biggest expense and comes directly off the profit line. That said as the speed or weight goes up the spread shrinks pretty quickly. The ED is also a very comfortable ride.
Wow, I make that run every year going to La Pine for our annual "brother's Elk & Trout" fun. Have never noticed that canyon. You can be sure I'll have my brother co-pilot and me looking for it this October.

I understand the mpg expense difference and profit and the ride. Stay with the Eco :eek:

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Mighty Mouse, eh?

All those loving your job need to spend a few nights/days in a truck stop lot. It's not as glamorous as things seem. The job is tiring, lonely and often difficult. Then you spend hours of boredom punctuated with a few moments of sheer terror.

Did enjoy the pictures of your tows. Reads like you are still "into" it. Good.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Mighty Mouse, eh?

All those loving your job need to spend a few nights/days in a truck stop lot. It's not as glamorous as things seem. The job is tiring, lonely and often difficult. Then you spend hours of boredom punctuated with a few moments of sheer terror.

Did enjoy the pictures of your tows. Reads like you are still "into" it. Good.
Lonely is good for me.
And sheer terror? I live in Kalifornia. Between the thrashed roads, unlicensed/uninsured drivers, prison "reform" laws putting criminals back out on the streets, every time I leave my house is a moment of sheer terror

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts