RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel, Blue, Big Horn, Ram Boxes, 4x4, 3.55 gear ratio,
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I am preparing to do a repair of a slight leak that has developed on my transmission. Seems to be a slight seep at this time but I want to take care of it before it gets worse when I don’t have time.

The leak is located between the transmission and the “transmission heater”. I see couple different names for it out there. Seems to be quite simple to do from my research. Apparently there are two little tubes with o-rings on either end sandwiched between the tranny and heater. I read that it is probably to more common fail point of the tranny.

Now my question. Apparently the O-rings for what ever reason are not available from Ram currently for whatever reason and have not been most of the year and now foreseeable future. Do you guys see any problem with me just matching an O-ring up and using it? Is this tranny fluid reactive to certain O-rings and require a special type or as long as I get the right size I should be ok?

I originally had dealer diagnose this and planned to repair under warranty but the parts were already on “back order” this spring when they looked so they put it off and said they would call when available. So I waited and they never called. I called back to follow up and learned still on back order, but also my warranty has since expired. Since it was a certified preowned from another Ram dealer those don’t have any extra leeway, but they would be happy to match the o-ring up and repair it for $400-$600. How nice of them. It will be a different dealer again next time too after that attitude. Needless to say after learning all this I decided just to do it myself. Irritating. Sorry to vent guys. Figured you would understand. Thanks for the help.

Tried including a couple pics to get the point across sorry two didn’t turn out very well.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk Grey
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel, Blue, Big Horn, Ram Boxes, 4x4, 3.55 gear ratio,
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that settles that then. I have a couple nitrile o-ring kits. I will try matching with that then. I have never really worked with ATF before so wanted a second opinion. I want to get it right the first time. I appreciate it again. Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you do find a correct match O-ring, take the measurements of it and post it here.....that may help others in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts