RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

I've been reading this forum since I got my Ecodiesel in June of 2014. Thank you all for all the great info that gets posted here!

Truck ran great until I took it for a cross-country trip and got stock for a couple of days MidWest due to P20EE. I found the service bulletin here, took in to the dealer and they had it fixed the next day once they got the parts.

Truck is running great, the only thing that worries me is the smoke puffing out by the SCR. It only leaks smoke while regenerating. I took it to the dealer and they told me it's ok. I told them to trigger the regen so they can see how bad it smokes,but I don't think they did it. It only leaks smoke while regenerating.

I posted this youtube video that I took tonight.

Can you guys please help and let me know what needs to be replaced? It is not putting out and codes, but it is definitely annoying to have it smoke like that when in town at a stop light. People might think my truck is on fire.

Thank you!

·
Registered
517 Posts
That's not normal... Seek a second opinion at another dealer

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Take the truck and the video to the dealer and show it to them. The leak appears to be at the injector if that it what that round item with the plug is. The dealer may ask you to send them the video via e-mail so they can forward it to FCA/Ram Trucks. Should not be a big deal to fix and you should be back on the road in no time. If you are getting fumes inside the cab have the dealer order a tow and do not drive it! Good luck and sorry for the inconvenience.

Note if after seeing the video the dealer still says it's OK ask for the Dealers owner or General Manager. If they still say it's OK call Ram Trucks while everyone is standing there and ask to speak to a manager to escalate this issue. Then find a new dealership!

Reactions: JRWS6

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
That's normal? Unfortunately these are the idiots we have to deal with at the dealerships. I don't know how anyone can say that is ok or normal. It's also no wonder they can't even change oil correctly. It appears to be steam as it disapates quickly. I would find another dealer and call Ram and complain about your service to this point.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
The injector looks like in the wrong position take off clamp and the injector has three notches, make sure it's in correct by the video it looks wrong . Good luck

·
Administrator
8,677 Posts
Sure looks like the injector is leaking around the port and what you are seeing is vaporized DEF. Check the orientation like Haul N Grass suggested.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you decide to check it out yourself you might as well clean the injector and housing it sits in. There is a thread named Pulled DEF Injector, check the thread out before you do it.

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
Clearly leaking at the injector. That video is a precious reminder you dealer's service department is idiotic.

Now that has NOTHING to do with regeneration. It's just during the DEF injector cycle and is in a completely different place than the DPF.

·
Administrator
8,677 Posts
Clearly leaking at the injector. That video is a precious reminder you dealer's service department is idiotic.

Now that has NOTHING to do with regeneration. It's just during the DEF injector cycle and is in a completely different place than the DPF.
OP states "It only leaks smoke while regenerating". Possibly due to the increased heat downstream of the DPF.

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
DEF injection is shut off during regen, so that would not be the case. Just a bad service fix by the dealer. Time to look for a better dealer that has a clue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts