RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 is coming to it's end-of-lease in March. It's been GDE tuned since about new and has been a great truck. Based on the price of a new replacement, I'm contemplating a buyout. Curious if anyone has negotiated with Ally or their lease provider given the troublesome recalls associated with these trucks. Thanks, in advance, for you feedback!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Your "buyout" price is stipulated in your lease agreement.....or are you asking if you can re-negotiate a better price due to Ecodiesel stigma?

I would expect your lease provider to be oblivious to the suggested ecodiesel nuances and they'll expect full stipulated aggreement price.
It will be worth it.

These are great trucks. I towed around 8000 # today and got better economy than my friends Hemi not towing.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Longhorn 4x2, 2019 Jeep Warngler Sport 2dr, 2019 Harley Road Glide Ultra
37 Posts
Sounds like you have a great truck, as do I. I'd definitely consider buying out the lease, especially because it's tuned and trouble free. The cost to replace with new will be much more expensive!

·
Registered
837 Posts
GDE tuned and a great truck. Would be a shame to see it go, imho.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
You GDE tuned a truck you rented? First I ever read of something like that. Thought you were not allowed to modify a lease or rental.

If you like the truck, you have an agreement that allows you to buy it. Then buy it. If not, start again with another. That’s the deal with a lease. At the end you had use of the vehicle and nothing else.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Trade it in for a 2020 model. See if they give you close to what they want you to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
366 Posts
I completely disagree with most. The residual value is based on actuarial calculations as to the projected value of the vehicle at the end of the time/mileage for which you leased...otherwise known as a well-educated guess. Things change, and banks know it...especially Ally bank...they used to be GMAC or General Motors Acceptance Corp. Remember when gasoline first hit 4bucks a gallon and they could't give away lease-returned Suburbans, Tahoes, Silverados, etc? They took it on the chin hard for a while.

My point is simply that the banks are used to taking less or holding out for more upon the sale of their lease returns. Most end up at auctions, which end up as used cars at your local dealers.

If I were in your shoes I would contact Ally about a month, maybe two, prior to your lease end and simply explain that you'd be interested in purchasing the vehicle, but that due to market forces the residual value is no longer a realistic price to pay for that particular used vehicle, and ask if they would entertain an honest offer. They may say no, in which case you are exactly where you are today...so no big deal. They may say yes...and if they do give them an honest and realistic offer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Andymax, I feel the same as you about asking for a better price. I already know what my buyout is so it won't hurt to attempt negotiations. I was hoping someone may have already been down this path and set precedent.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Can’t hurt to ask. Right now dealers are paying a premium for good used. You could flip it for a new truck and make $$$$

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Andymax, I feel the same as you about asking for a better price. I already know what my buyout is so it won't hurt to attempt negotiations. I was hoping someone may have already been down this path and set precedent.
I never got anything good without asking. It's not like they can punish you for making an inquiry.Go for it and be sure to let us know how it turns out!
Canyon

·
Registered
432 Posts
My pops taught me “If you don’t ask, the answer is no.”

Reactions: andymax

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ally has to sell the truck to someone. But they made their money on you already. I've had friends in the past negotiate on lease but outs. But that was years ago.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Had no clue you could negotiate the lease buy-out. Good to know for others that do stuff like that.

·
Registered
816 Posts
A lease "buy out" is what protects both the finance company and the customer in the event that you either go over miles or have excessive wear or damage. It allows the customer to do those things knowing that at lease end their purchase price is fixed. It protects the finance company by creating an incentive for "within-lease terms" customers to buy a decent vehicle instead of returning, (depending on the market prices at the time) as well as over-lease customers by eliminating the extra charges they would have faced had they chosen to buy rather than return.

There is NO requirement for a customer who is withing their lease terms to buy at the buy-out price.

So, if you have the option to return the truck without penalty, and you like the truck, then negotiate .... HARD. Whether you get a better price will depend on the market.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Can’t hurt to ask. Right now dealers are paying a premium for good used. You could flip it for a new truck and make $$$$
this is exactly why Ally might turn you down...used truck market in particular is very thin around here so prices are getting crazy high...might be true in your area also. But if the Ecodiesels are really getting less money due to all the issues....then maybe Ally will agree. Good luck! Try to remember to update this post either way...I'll be curious!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts