RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if this has already been discussed, but is it good/ bad/ neither to leave the engine running while filling up the tank at a gas station?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I always leave mine running. Diesel has a higher flash point than gas so I don't worry about it. I have heard you cannot light a puddle of diesel with an open flame due to its higher flash point, but I've never tried it. I Haven't had any problems in 110,000 miles.

Dave

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
According to the owner's manual, "Do not operate the engine at idle for prolonged periods". Idling the engine can cause oil dilution. The question is, how long is prolonged?
Stations around here usually have signs that say to turn engine off.

Reactions: WillEbbert

·
Registered
602 Posts
According to the owner's manual, "Do not operate the engine at idle for prolonged periods". Idling the engine can cause oil dilution. The question is, how long is prolonged?
Stations around here usually have signs that say to turn engine off.
You have to leave truck running a long time. Now this only be comes an issue if truck in regeneration cycle. Over time this will be an issue. But five minutes while you fill up your good. The manual is referring to like you're running at idle for an hour while you sleep. And if you have the tune you can idle it up this wouldn't be an issue you will produce enough EGTs.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You have to leave truck running a long time. Now this only be comes an issue if truck in regeneration cycle. Over time this will be an issue. But five minutes while you fill up your good. The manual is referring to like you're running at idle for an hour while you sleep. And if you have the tune you can idle it up this wouldn't be an issue you will produce enough EGTs.
dealer idled my truck for over 1hr+ looking for a coolant leak

found nothing since the truck saw 0 load for over 1 hr+ sitting there.......

when i picked i up, started regen right away.....

i should go photocopy the owners manual and show it to them - they literally did exactly what the manufacture said NOT to do....

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think that it's a good practice. Especially when you're highway traveling and just stopping to fuel up. That way you're not shutting off while the turbo is hot.
I let my truck run for about 2 min after I get off Highway to cool the turbo. Drivers my wife nuts! Some people just don't understand.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Stations I use in my area say to turn off the engine.
Because those stations also serve Gas.

And a 1 hour idle at the dealer is nothing. Don't get tight about that. What you shouldn't do is use this as a work truck, letting it run/idle for 8 hours a day at your job site.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I always leave mine running. Diesel has a higher flash point than gas so I don't worry about it. I have heard you cannot light a puddle of diesel with an open flame due to its higher flash point, but I've never tried it. I Haven't had any problems in 110,000 miles.

Dave
You're right about diesel not being flammable. It is combustible, and it's vapor will burn given the right oxygen level and a heat source. You will never light any diesel puddle on fire with a match drop. At our normal temperatures there is little to no vapor. At least not enough to burn. It too lean. Gasoline is the same way with the exception of lower temps. A puddle of gas will not ignite, say by throwing a match into it. However, because it's vapor point is like -60*, there is always vapor associated with gasoline. With the right oxygen level that match would ignite the gas vapor, which would cause the gas puddle to vaporize and burn (all that would happen VERY fast, ie explosion), but the liquid gas wouldn't burn. It's too rich.
The reason we are told to turn our engines off is to reduce the likelihood of electrical spark which could ignite fuel vapor. This is one of those things that doesn't really do anything, but is a good idea, or thought in theory. The real issue is static electricity and that is why more women than men are involved with gas station fires. Their long hair rubbing on cloth seats produce static electricity. Then when the perfect storm hits an arc is formed between the nozzle and filler neck igniting gas vapor.

The very best practice is to touch bare metal as you exit the car, before you pump gas to discharge any static electricity. I get shocked almost every time I close my truck door. So I guess I'm safe.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
Often, not always, leave the truck running. Sometimes in high heat the wife will sit in the truck at idle with the air conditioner on. If I get to chatting it can be a bit of time at idle. Big deal. I'm talking idle for 10 - 20 minutes tops. Not an issue.

·
Registered
2015 Laramie 2WD
59 Posts
I shut the truck off, but that's probably out of habit as this is my first diesel. I actually hadn't thought about leaving it running.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
In Califunny they even have signs to turn off your engine. I believe it's a law, but not sure

·
Registered
256 Posts
I always shut down at the pumps too.. also more just out of habit..

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I've been driving a diesel since 2005. I will shut the engine off if the engine is cool and I haven't been driving for prolonged periods of time. But I always leave it running if I have been running down the interstate or towing to let the turbo cool. There's been a few times that I shutdown the engine after towing in semi-cool temps, but the fan kept running, which tells me that the engine needed more cool down time.

Reactions: Captainmal and jg08

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I always shut every vehicle off when fueling. I hate the concept of burning fuel to idle the engine. It isn't much for a diesel but it just seems wrong to me. New starters seem very troublefree so I don't really see a practical reason not to shut it down. I don't live where AC is essential but do understand that need. I also think the turbo cooldown issue is way over done. When stopping to fuel or at a wayside after driving hard down a freeway you coast down and run under very low loads going down the off ramp and getting to the parking or the fuel station giving the relatively low mass turbo plenty of time to cool down.

bticbw.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't see why it would be an issue. Other than the afore mentioned manufacturer recommendation to not idle for prolonged periods why is our diesel engines any different from a bus or a semi? Those idle during fill ups. Shouldn't matter. I also have stations that have signs saying turn off engine when filling. If they want to hold me to that then I will let them know to go speak with the truck drivers and tell them the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts