RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

It has been awhile since I posted about my light install. about a year and a half ago I installed LED lows, and fogs. Along with this came an addiction to get nicer lighting for my Ram as most of the driving I do is up north, where it always seems to be dark. So, today, my quest still remains. I have installed a set of LEDs into my highs and am very pleased with the performance. After trying several sets of LED highs I have found my current setup to be the most practical in terms of reliability, ease of install, and light output. I had a set that claimed to put out 6 or 7 thousand lumen each, but the heat braids on them were enormous not to mention the run time was recommended at a max of 30 minutes (I can go for hours at times with my high beams on up here!!).

I won't go over installation as I have done so on previous posts and I'm sure enough people have done it by now that it is fairly common knowledge. As for the other lights, I am currently running the 55W hid setup in my lows and have about 1100 hours on them without a hitch; LED fogs work great, same as my original post.

I am not running a set of XHP-50 LEDs made by CREE in my highs. they are fan cooled and fit behind the dust cover without any modification, and do not require CANbus modules. With lows and highs on I am running about 11,000 lumens. ~4200 lumens for the 55w HID lows and ~3600 lumen/bulb for the highs. My brother just got a 32 inch LED light bar and I'm interested to see how they stack up against each other as his bar is rated at ~10,000 usable lumens.

Here are a few pictures of the highs, only on picture of the lows (rainy wet night).
lows.jpg highs.jpg lows2.jpg highs2.jpg

And all highs (clear night).
IMG_20161030_162610.jpg IMG_20161030_162622.jpg IMG_20161030_190929.jpg IMG_20161030_191031.jpg IMG_20161030_191144.jpg

These high beams blow away the stock setup, the pictures don't do it justice. Unfortunately I do not have any comparative photos with the stock highs.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!!!

Happy driving!!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
That looks pretty bright - looks great.
What are the factory Lumens ratings?
What did this upgrade cost you if you don't mind sharing?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Looks good! Where did you order them from? I am looking for something similar (once it warms up)... but would still really like LED's for the low beam as well if something decent exists.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Looks like a very nice light pattern and the lows don't seem obtrusive, for the person driving on the other lane facing you.

Are these leds DOT approved?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks pretty bright - looks great.
What are the factory Lumens ratings?
What did this upgrade cost you if you don't mind sharing?
So, I cant remember the factory lumen rating, but I think it is somewhere around 1800-2300 lumens combined; and the lows were around ~1500 lumens. But, don't quote me on that, I looked that information up a long time ago!!

The setup cost me right around 200 bucks, with shipping (Canadian dollars).

Looks good! Where did you order them from? I am looking for something similar (once it warms up)... but would still really like LED's for the low beam as well if something decent exists.
Thanks!! I got this set from The Auto LED corp.

It's not the most fun doing these installs when it is cold, but I have done a few! It seems as though it is always winter in the places I live. Honestly, I have had two sets of LEDs in my lows and they do work to make the vehicle more aesthetically pleasing. They do provide slightly better output then the stock lows also. The low beam LED setup, however, does not compare to the HID setup in the lows. I think this is largly due to the projector style housing and the fact that the bulb configuration itself does not allow light rays to reflect and refract enough; on top of that, the housing has a "wall" blocking the bottom half of the projector, this is what creates the beam cut-off. The HIDs I run are a plug an play setup, no resistors or harnesses so it isn't to bad to set them up.

Looks like a very nice light pattern and the lows don't seem obtrusive, for the person driving on the other lane facing you.

Are these leds DOT approved?
The high beam pattern is great, it is much safer than the stock bulbs. I wish I could get them to project even farther!! but they are very, very good as it sits right now.

I made sure the lows display a correct cut-off minding the maximum beam height. when I did my lows I parked the truck about 10 feet back from the garage door and marked the stock cut-off with painters tape on the door. I ensured the same cut-off with the new bulbs installed. I had the dealer double check the height at the following oil change as well. I am not a fan of beams shining in my face on lifted truck, reflctor housing with HID bulbs, etc. So I made sure mine were correct and compliant.

To be honest I am not sure if the are DOT approved. That's a good question, ill ask the dealer and get back to you.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
To be honest I am not sure if the are DOT approved. That's a good question, ill ask the dealer and get back to you.
I'd appreciate if you can, dot specs include also a maximum of lux/lumen for light intensity, seems like nobody cares these days about this anyways, lol. Your headlights though seem to be fine, just by looking at the light pattern. I really like what you did, probably the best lights I've seen from pictures.

·
Registered
575 Posts
llaapp,

thanks for the specs and the pictures. That is a lot of light! Awesome. I might go and do my high beams now with that config.

Reactions: llaapp

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks!! I got this set from The Auto LED corp.

It's not the most fun doing these installs when it is cold, but I have done a few! It seems as though it is always winter in the places I live. Honestly, I have had two sets of LEDs in my lows and they do work to make the vehicle more aesthetically pleasing. They do provide slightly better output then the stock lows also. The low beam LED setup, however, does not compare to the HID setup in the lows. I think this is largly due to the projector style housing and the fact that the bulb configuration itself does not allow light rays to reflect and refract enough; on top of that, the housing has a "wall" blocking the bottom half of the projector, this is what creates the beam cut-off. The HIDs I run are a plug an play setup, no resistors or harnesses so it isn't to bad to set them up.
Thanks! I have sent him an email and discussed some options... but for that HID low-kit - the only thing is to put the bulb in and make a hole in the dust cover for the ballast to be mounted outside the light then?
It's too cold here for me to want to start removing any of those plastic tabs since I break them when it's +20C so I can only imagine how many I'll break when it's -20C!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'd appreciate if you can, dot specs include also a maximum of lux/lumen for light intensity, seems like nobody cares these days about this anyways, lol. Your headlights though seem to be fine, just by looking at the light pattern. I really like what you did, probably the best lights I've seen from pictures.
So, I received a lengthy answer from the supplier. Long story short the bulb assembly is DOT compliant depending on what kind of setup you are installing them in. I suppose the compliance can be revoked if you are installing these high powered bulbs into an incorrect housing i.e. HID into a reflector housing with no cut-off, scattering the light into oncoming drivers (non-compliant). So, the HID in the projector housing with the cut-off compliant with Ministry of transportation specifications on light beam cut-off height would be DOT compliant. that being said, I can check all of those boxes off, so yes this setup is DOT compliant.

Also, I found a reputable source on factory lumens and it appears as though the stock highs are rated at ~1700 - 1800 lumens per bulb. This number will decrease with increasing hours on the halogen bulb filament.

And thanks!! I have put a lot of time, research, and effort into getting a functional factory look to these lights. It has paid off, this setup is much nicer looking and much safer than factory all while being cognisant of the safety of oncoming traffic.

Thanks! I have sent him an email and discussed some options... but for that HID low-kit - the only thing is to put the bulb in and make a hole in the dust cover for the ballast to be mounted outside the light then?
It's too cold here for me to want to start removing any of those plastic tabs since I break them when it's +20C so I can only imagine how many I'll break when it's -20C!
Right on!! I have found Auto LED very good to work with. I was sceptical at first as well and did not want to be drilling holes in my dust cap; I later learned you can buy the dustcap with the hole pre-drilled in it. I would likely opt for that but, I have not gone back to stock and don't plan on it so It may be wasted money.

I did mine in the cold also, I think I broke two clips the first time I had the grill off. I ended up going to the dealer and picking up 10 of the grill clips, I have only 3 left. . They are quite brittle even at warmer temperatures.

You can check out my HID install here:

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-lighting/10567-hid-low-beam-install.html

I have since upgraded to the 55W kit, and I have my ballasts mounted in a different location using some cable extenders.

Thanks for the positive feedback!! Any questions please feel free to ask!!! Happy driving.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Curious... has anyone who has modded their lights (even if just a HID low) ever had one of the factory DRL/signal LED modules malfunction and had a dealer replace the light? Just wondering if the dealer would kick up a stink saying "well since you replaced your low beam with this HID kit and made a hole in the cap it caused your light to fail prematurely..."

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Curious... has anyone who has modded their lights (even if just a HID low) ever had one of the factory DRL/signal LED modules malfunction and had a dealer replace the light? Just wondering if the dealer would kick up a stink saying "well since you replaced your low beam with this HID kit and made a hole in the cap it caused your light to fail prematurely..."
Interesting thought, I have had no experience with it. I too would like to know if anyone has had any issue with the dealer and aftermarket lights.

I had the dealer help me out in the early stages of getting my HIDs to run correctly, they even offered to try and reprogram the computer (I forget which one it is. . .) in order to change the operating test parameters. So, perhaps it depends on who you're dealing with?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Interesting thought, I have had no experience with it. I too would like to know if anyone has had any issue with the dealer and aftermarket lights.

I had the dealer help me out in the early stages of getting my HIDs to run correctly, they even offered to try and reprogram the computer (I forget which one it is. . .) in order to change the operating test parameters. So, perhaps it depends on who you're dealing with?

Yes, I suppose it is a YMMV type of thing. Plus the odds of one of those DRL LED's failing is pretty slim I am guessing. I guess worst case, get the extra set of caps and if one does fail just put it back to stock.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've been running the same Auto LED HID low/LED high setup since July and its works very well, and no problems to date either. Install isn't bad at all. I don't like drilling and poking holes in things but the hole in the dust cap isn't a big deal guys. Its a worthwhile upgrade as the stock lights are only fit for a wheelbarrow.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been running the same Auto LED HID low/LED high setup since July and its works very well, and no problems to date either. Install isn't bad at all. I don't like drilling and poking holes in things but the hole in the dust cap isn't a big deal guys. Its a worthwhile upgrade as the stock lights are only fit for a wheelbarrow.
I agree, it doesn't feel good to punch holes in my new truck, but, the functionality of this setup is great. I actually just re-mounted my HID ballasts tonight. I think I have found a great location for them. It is an awesome setup!!!!

I was more impressed with the highs than I was with the HID lows, and I love the HID lows!!!

I too think it might be pretty rare for the DRL LEDs to fail, but having a second set of dust caps would definitely be the ticket!! I haven't looked for any in a while but when I did I do not think I had much success finding them. I think you can buy sets with holes in them though?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes I believe AutoLED has them with the holes already... if not him then he made mention of who does. I will be doing that come Spring (of course that could change depending on this EPA nonsense...)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I believe AutoLED has them with the holes already... if not him then he made mention of who does. I will be doing that come Spring (of course that could change depending on this EPA nonsense...)
Yeah, I suppose you guys down south have much stricter emissions tests. We actually don't have any sort of emissions testing up here, I called the dealer about that EPA stuff and they hadn't even heard about it.

Hopefully you'll get to try out the setup. It is great!!! I just mounted my ballasts in a new position; behind the grill, the will not see any water there. It is a much better setup than what I had previously. I got a set of these LED highs for my fathers truck as well. And he is amazed at how much brighter they are versus stock and how much safer it is to have these lights running while driving at night on the highway.

Good luck with all your setups!! Money well spent!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah, I suppose you guys down south have much stricter emissions tests. We actually don't have any sort of emissions testing up here, I called the dealer about that EPA stuff and they hadn't even heard about it.

Hopefully you'll get to try out the setup. It is great!!! I just mounted my ballasts in a new position; behind the grill, the will not see any water there. It is a much better setup than what I had previously. I got a set of these LED highs for my fathers truck as well. And he is amazed at how much brighter they are versus stock and how much safer it is to have these lights running while driving at night on the highway.

Good luck with all your setups!! Money well spent!!
I'm in Ontario also (Ottawa) so not much further south... but all the dealers here and anxiously awaiting the decision... and keep asking me to trade in or sell my truck to them - which I am now seriously considering. I was reading about how the buy back would work IF it came to that, but since it would only be the book value of the truck from a certain day, it wouldn't be any diff than trading it in really.
But back to the topic... if I do keep it, I will be getting some new lights come Spring!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I'm in Ontario also (Ottawa) so not much further south... but all the dealers here and anxiously awaiting the decision... and keep asking me to trade in or sell my truck to them - which I am now seriously considering. I was reading about how the buy back would work IF it came to that, but since it would only be the book value of the truck from a certain day, it wouldn't be any diff than trading it in really.
But back to the topic... if I do keep it, I will be getting some new lights come Spring!
I don't find my headlights that bad
However I would be interested in possibly changing but only on a direct plug-and-play solution
Taking headlights a part baking them etc. etc. too much work for the gain
I drive every day and every night and the lights work fine for me but after seeing the pictures I would be curious to have better lighting

As far as those buyback stuff?? Truck works great not interested

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't find my headlights that bad
However I would be interested in possibly changing but only on a direct plug-and-play solution
Taking headlights a part baking them etc. etc. too much work for the gain
I drive every day and every night and the lights work fine for me but after seeing the pictures I would be curious to have better lighting

As far as those buyback stuff?? Truck works great not interested
I hear ya. I also don't think the stock ones are that bad, especially coming from my 2001 ram 1500. But, I wanted the look of the HID lighting, and it happens to be much better than the stock also, so that's a plus!! Once I started I wanted more, and up here in moose country it isn't a bad thing to have some more visibility. I didn't want to put a light bar on either, although, I'm sure those things work very well.

I haven't been offered a buyback!!!!!!!!!????!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts