RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would share my experience with my LED install so far.

I ordered all of my hardware from The Auto LED Corp. who was, and still is, extremely helpful with any questions or concerns that I may have.

I ordered LED high beams (which I will use in my low beams until the HID kit I want for lows comes out), fogs, cargo, reverse, and license plate; all 5500K. The packaging was excellent and the package was shipped hours after I placed the order. Upon receiving my package 3 days later (during the holiday season) I inspected the packaging and it all seemed very good to me, nothing moved around in the box and everything was packaged with foam.

20151223_150727_resized.jpg

To date I have installed my license plate LEDs, fog LEDs , and reverse LEDs. So far I am really liking the look of the clean crisp light which provides more light than any of the stock bulbs except for the ones under the mirror. Installing the reverse lights is extremely simple unscrew the two screws on the inside of the tailgate (two screws for each housing), twist the bulb socket out and replace the bulb with the one supplied. license plate LED install is even easier, just twist the socket from behind the bumper and replace the bulb.

20151227_165013_resized.jpg

The fog light install was a little more difficult, but still very simple. I simply twist the socket behind the fog light housing after clipping the two zip tie body clips holding the wiring harness in place and unclip the bulb. I put the new LED in the socket for a test fit and found it to be a little loose for my liking so I took the o-ring off of the stock bulb and placed it overtop and behind the supplied o-ring on the LED bulb housing; this provided a nice snug fit, about the same as the stock bulb. I hooked up the anti-flicker module and zip-tied everything into place.

20151227_142918_resized.jpg 20151227_145854_resized.jpg 20151227_145756_resized.jpg 20151227_145308_resized.jpg 20151227_170259_resized.jpg 20151227_165238_resized.jpg 20151227_144352_resized.jpg t.jpg

The only issue I have had so far is that it was -20 degC, but well worth it!! Can't wait to get my low beams in as the fogs are overpowering the lows!! Let me know if you have any questions, ill be happy to help if I can.

Ill update with my low beam install tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Finished installing my low beams today, everything fits and works great so far. I went for about an hour cruise with no flickering or light or out messages.

Unfortunately, while I was taking off the grill the bottom two body clips broke on me, I suspect they don't like the cold temperatures up here they seem rather brittle if you ask me. Other tan that everything was pretty straight forward, take off plastic shroud, remove four 10mm bolts (two are coarse thread and two are fine thread, the two coarse thread ones are on the outside of the grill and screw into plastic), pull grill off (there are 4 plastic body clips), unscrew the two 10mm bolts holding the headlight assembly, and pop open the door in the wheel well in order to push up on the tab holding the housing in. I then worked the light housing out from behind while my hand was in the opening.

20151228_145037_resized.jpg 20151228_145408_resized.jpg 20151228_145735_resized.jpg 20151228_145741_resized.jpg 20151228_150401_resized.jpg 20151228_164410_resized.jpg 20151228_165528_resized.jpg

Once the headlight assembly is out I simply removed the dust-cap and installed the LED into the 9012 housing. I used a universal 9005 LED as it fits in the housing due to a smaller tab size (universal) so when the HID kit I want comes out I can simply swap these into my high beams, I had to used a different O-ring in order to get the 9005 bulb to fit snug. I had to trim the copper tab at the back of the LED bulb in order to get the dust cap to seat properly. In order to have the best beam it is critical to have the bulb oriented in the position I have it, which makes the LEDs on the bulbs face 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Also, when installing the LEDs I did one headlight housing at a time, meaning I unfastened one bulb housing first, installed the bulb and re-installed the housing. I did this to ensure my beam cut-off was the same as stock and I would not have to re-aim my lights. Only doing one side at a time ensured that I could check my beam against the stock one.

The lights look and perform great! Much nicer than stock. If anyone would like any additional info or pictures, feel free to ask, ill be happy to oblige!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Looks good. I want to do the fogs myself

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good. I want to do the fogs myself

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
You definitely should, it is very easy. The fog lights were a more noticeable change than the low beams.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Do those LEDs have fans built in? If so, don't drive on any dusty roads or they will cease to work after a little time. The heat sink braided loops are the way to go - passive always outlasts mechanical over time. Looks nice!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Good to hear theres a supplier with LEDs that don't set off the light out warning because of a difference in voltage, tons of cheap stuff on Fleabay but of course you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I love the idea!! I'm really liking the rear license plate lights and back-up light idea as well. How much would you say you've got invested in replacing all of these, money-wise?? I've got to try and convince myself that it would be worth spending the $$$.

Thanks for the all the nice photos and explanations on install...that will definitely help!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do those LEDs have fans built in? If so, don't drive on any dusty roads or they will cease to work after a little time. The heat sink braided loops are the way to go - passive always outlasts mechanical over time. Looks nice!
This is something I asked the LED dealer about, they have a 2013, 2015, and 2016 ram they use for testing. They assured me that the fans will last and advised that he has been running the fan fogs (cree mk) for over three years without issue. They also told me they have customers that are constantly in the dirt and mud and they have not seen a pair fail yet. That being said, I do agree with you Hershey and think the braided coolers would last longer as there are no moving parts. Time will tell!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
llaapp, Do the reverse LED's give you the "bulb out" message on the EVIC?
No bulb out messages, the reverse LEDs also have a CANBus system built in. I'll get a shot of the reverse lights tonight!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the idea!! I'm really liking the rear license plate lights and back-up light idea as well. How much would you say you've got invested in replacing all of these, money-wise?? I've got to try and convince myself that it would be worth spending the $$$.

Thanks for the all the nice photos and explanations on install...that will definitely help!
My pleasure!

I paid about 450 canadian dollars, including tax. My order was for the 9005 highs, 9006 fogs, cargo, reverse, license plate, and 4 error/anti flicker modules (two for 9005 and two for 9006). I love the look of the clean LED light vs. stock.

Good to hear theres a supplier with LEDs that don't set off the light out warning because of a difference in voltage, tons of cheap stuff on Fleabay but of course you get what you pay for.

I agree!! You get want you pay for, usually!!

I finally just figured out the reply with multiple quotes option. That will make things easier. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Reverse lights.

reverse light.jpg

This is a shot of the courtesy lights when I hit the unlock button on my key fob. The DRLs are not activated so it doesn't distort the color in the picture. I wonder if the DRLs can be shut-off when the night lights come on? I know they are dimmer than the daytime DRLs, but I just think it would look less busy if the amber did not light up once the night lights fire up. Does anyone know?

20151229_040240_resized.jpg

·
Registered
316 Posts
Great source of info llaapp! I don't have an account on Facebook anymore, so I'll have to contact Auto LED Corp thru my wife's account, unless you have an 800 number for them?

PS, Red Lake is way up there in ONT!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great source of info llaapp! I don't have an account on Facebook anymore, so I'll have to contact Auto LED Corp thru my wife's account, unless you have an 800 number for them?

PS, Red Lake is way up there in ONT!
Thanks!! I hope it will help a few guys out. I just did my first road trip with the lights after nightshift last night. 300km trip at 3:30a.m. the lights are awesome, especially the fog lights, they are insane bright!!

Red Lake, ON is up North!! Thats why I wanted some better lighting, so I could see those pesky moose that like to walk along the highway at dusk and dawn. And naturally, once the headlights are 5500K I wanted everything to match.

For those of you who don't have Facebook:

Screenshot_2015-12-31-16-48-22.png

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went with this same setup. The low beams are a little weak, but an improvement from the factory projectors. The fogs are awesome and huge improvement over the stock bulbs. I just run them all the time now and really like the results.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got any pictures of the beam pattern against a wall so we can see the projector cutoff?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went with this same setup. The low beams are a little weak, but an improvement from the factory projectors. The fogs are awesome and huge improvement over the stock bulbs. I just run them all the time now and really like the results.

I agree with the above post. Low beams are a little weaker than I had expected, likely because I installed the fogs first and the fogs are tremendously bright. I am assuming the LEDs I have in the lows will be good in the highs, and the HIDs will be much brighter in the lows because of the projector style housing.

Got any pictures of the beam pattern against a wall so we can see the projector cutoff?
I do not!! I will get you some!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you give more information about he supplier Auto LED, could not find any links noticed it was in Canada. Thanks

1 - 20 of 135 Posts