RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just getting ready to purchase a LEER 100 XR Cap for Ram 1500 Crew 5'7" bed.

If you have this cap would you mind measuring the inside height? The dealer gave a height that way less than exact.

I am looking for Bed to ceiling mid way inside the cap.

Also what d you think of the Leer?

Cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the 100XL and I think it's real similar to the XR. The inside mid height is 42" for mine.

I like this Leer it seems to fit well but I had to have it repainted because it didn't match my truck close enough when I just got it. Also keep in mind they replace the plastic top of the tailgate with different one that has a hump molded into it so the glass has something to seal against, this seemed a little cheesy when I got it but it seems to work OK.

I have 3 dogs that we drag around so a cap is my 1st purchase when I get a new truck.

Oh and if you get the dual interior lights I recommend you tell your dealer to wire both lights to work off the switch on the one by the tailgate this way both lights go on and off with one flip of a easy to get to switch.

good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I calculated 41 and 1/2 so 42 seems about right. Thanks for the measurement

I will probably only get the single light.

1 dog and bikes...

I will post measurements of mine once I get it installed.

·
Registered
687 Posts
They seriously replaced the tailgate plastic? My ARE has the lip molded in. Seals great that way. Make sure your get windoors if that is an option. Once you have them you can't live without them. Also a single interior light sucks. I have had them on my previous3 toppers. This time around I had them install a center rope light. Huge difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would highly recommend a ARE. The seal on the door is much better. I have the Z serious and it is great, looks great and fits great!! The remote door lock works with my truck fob.

·
Registered
956 Posts
No tail gate to climb over on our ARE :eek: Had it for over 5 years now, still looks new. Also, this is our third Ram it's been on.

n1xbpz.jpg

·
Registered
317 Posts
Had 2 Leers in the past with no problems. On my second ARE cap. Both are good manufacturers. Think I'd have to give an edge to ARE though. Just because how they did the tailgate cover over the tailgate. Can't go wrong with either. JMO

·
Registered
956 Posts
I had a Leer on my first Ram in November of 95. They were certainly considered top of the line at that time. The truck sat outside in the hot Georgia sun for the 10 years that I owned it and most of the paint peeled off the top of the shell beginning in about 8 years. I convinced myself that it didn't bother me as I couldn't see it unless I stood on something to look down on it :) The 5 year old ARE has been kept undercover as a result of the previous experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts