RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

The build is nearly complete (Updated)

6K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Sandiego_Guy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys!

So the reason I am making this thread is for me to keep track of my progress, but also to help those of you who are also considering these types of upgrades and hopefully offer some thoughts and advice as I move along!

I have a 2017 3D laramie 4x4 currently everything is stock except my GDE tune.

This is not a "one day when I do these upgrades" thread! I am in the process of getting these things done and done soon! If you are considering any of these mods I will be posting progress pics and opinions as I install.

So here's what's In motion -

GDE "EPA Compliant" tune (Installed but too early to give update)

Icon stage 5 lift (Ordered and will be Installing when it arrives)

[/URL]

Mevotech TTX lower control arms (Ordered)

[/URL]

Weather tech in slot rain guards (Ordered)

[/URL]

Front window tint to match factory (Appt set)

Wheel and tires (Undecided whether I am going to upgrade)

My goal is to post my updates and opinions on these specific modifications and upgrades. Hopefully this will help people in making their decisions with modifying their trucks!

See less See more
#7 ·
Yes to most of the above, lol. My Tundra was a daily commuter, hunting / fishing truck, and family camping vehicle. Camping here involves carrying a metric crapton of stuff about 50 miles on road followed by several hours offroad often on moderately technical trailss (sometimes its just white pieces of coral on a lava field to mark where the road is). I also used it to tow my 4 seat UTV up to the mountain.

I miss the truck dearly - reliable, roomy, and enough power to get me where I needed to go. It was getting a little long in the tooth and got the green light from the accountant/wife to upgrade into the eco that I have now. Toyota currently did not offer a full sized truck with 4 full sized doors and a full sized bed - which is what brought me to the RAM brand. I couldn't justify going for a heavy duty, but really wanted to try a diesel.

screen shot on a pc

Truck had ICON coilovers and Camburg control arms up front, and ICON shocks with a Wheelers Offroad add a leaf in the rear. Camper was a craigslist find and came off an extra cab tundra - it didn't fit exact, but it was a close enough match. Tires were 32" Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx

#8 ·
Yes to most of the above, lol. My Tundra was a daily commuter, hunting / fishing truck, and family camping vehicle. Camping here involves carrying a metric crapton of stuff about 50 miles on road followed by several hours offroad often on moderately technical trailss (sometimes its just white pieces of coral on a lava field to mark where the road is). I also used it to tow my 4 seat UTV up to the mountain.

I miss the truck dearly - reliable, roomy, and enough power to get me where I needed to go. It was getting a little long in the tooth and got the green light from the accountant/wife to upgrade into the eco that I have now. Toyota currently did not offer a full sized truck with 4 full sized doors and a full sized bed - which is what brought me to the RAM brand. I couldn't justify going for a heavy duty, but really wanted to try a diesel.

screen shot on a pc

Truck had ICON coilovers and Camburg control arms up front, and ICON shocks with a Wheelers Offroad add a leaf in the rear. Camper was a craigslist find and came off an extra cab tundra - it didn't fit exact, but it was a close enough match. Tires were 32" Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx
Clean truck man! My wife and I stay in Kauai often and will rent a wrangler to hit some trails while we're there. The Off-road community is strong in hawaii. Obviously no snow out there so the Cooper's make sense! Did you do your control arms and the coilovers at the same time? Just curious if you ran stock control arms for a while. If you did what did they feel like?

Which island are you from?

#9 ·
I had 5100s and Camburg control arms installed at the same time. The 5100s did not last very long - all 4 puked out fluid and had no dampening. I replaced them with ICONS after about a year. The UCAs squeaked pretty badly until I replaced the unibals with stainless FK units. They were starting to make some noise again and my mechanic said there was some play in them and would have to be replaced soon. I sold the truck shortly thereafter.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with ICON uca with their delta joints I hear they last much longer and make zero noise.

#12 · (Edited)
So Icon has a back order on the rear shocks but I went ahead and put the front end on. Buuuttt that being said I've taken this truck 30 down a few rough OHV trails and it takes it like a champ. I can't believe the ride quality on rough roads now. I can't wait to install the rear shocks when they get here in 8-10 weeks.....

The on road handling and ride seem exactly the same with just a little more "squish" in the corners. Haha I don't know how else to say it 😅

Mods so far -
Icon front coilovers (2.5in front lift), icon Upper control arms, mevotech lower control arms, icon rear coil springs (1.5 in lift), tint on front windows to match factory, weatherrech rain deflectors and GDE EPA Compliant tune.

I ceramic coated all of the parts before installing

Stock vs new

Before the truck settled

#13 · (Edited)
After the truck settled

Now on the driver's side taking off the upper control arm can be tricky. There is a bolt in the frame that makes taking out the UCA bolt tough because it Is hard to clear it without taking it out.

Finished product

Wheels and tires are on the way. I'm getting icon 17inx8.5 0 offset with Falken wild peak at3w 285/75r17's

GDE tune is definitely worth the money. I got the Hot tune with high idle,engine brake and Regen message. The truck feels entirely different. If anyone is on the fence about the EPA Compliant tune they should definitely get it.

Before GDE tune I was averaging 23.2 mpg combined with my normal driving.

After tune before lift I was averaging 27.2 mpg same driving conditions

After lift I have been averaging 26.3 mpg same conditions.

I assume the Mileage will decrease again with the 34" tires so I will post an update once they're on. Haha thanks @conrad87 you inspired me to post an update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.