RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:DThe good or bad whatever you want to put out here about your Laramie.

Laramie ED crew cab
Ordered 4/12/14
Inspection 5/15/14

GOT MY WINDOW STICKER TODAY 5/17/2014!!!!!!!!!
More good news after talking to customer service today!
Joshua: I am showing your eta is 06/15/2014. Your current build status is KZ, which means the vehicle has started the shipping process.

Starting to get excited now!!!!!!

Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats
Heated Second-Row Seats
Full-Length Floor Console
Customer Preferred Package 28H
Protection Group
Tow Hooks
Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
Front Suspension Skid Plate
Convenience Group
Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
Keyless Enter 'n Go(TM)
Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers
Trailer Tow Mirror and Brake Control
Group
Power Chrome Trailer Tow Mirrors w/
Manual Fold-Away
Trailer Brake Control
Monotone Paint
Body-Color Fender Flares
8-Speed TorqueFlite Auto Trans 8HP70
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
3.0-Liter V6 EcoDiesel Engine
800-Amp Maintenance Free Battery
GVW Rating - 6,950 Pounds
Maximum Duty Engine Cooling
Selective Catalytic Reduction (UREADEF)
3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
Power Sunroof
Engine Block Heater
Uconnect(R) 8.4AN AM/FM/BT/ACCESS/
NAV
Premium Navigation
SiriusXM Traffic(TM) / 1-Year Traffic
Service
SiriusXM Travel Link(TM) / 1-Year
Subscription
P275/60R20 OWL All Season Tires
Remote Start System
Everything but air suspension :D

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The good - it's gonna be simply awesome!

The bad - not here yet! :(

Honestly, for me it came down to the Outdoorsman or the Laramie. My wife said "it's your truck" during one of our conversations, and it got me thinking. I could afford the step t the Laramie, and was there anything wrong with more luxury and standard options? Nope, not for me. So I opted for the Laramie. In hindsight, it turns out I got more than I expected. For example, it didn't occur to me to form an opinion of the exhaust. Outdoorsman models have one pipe out the side. Laramies have the dual indents under the rear bumper. I prefer the dual rear look, so the Laramie netted me that, though it wasn't even on my radar at the time of planning my build.

I appreciated that "monotone" was an option. Much as I enjoy the two-tone look, I opted for monotone. Mostly because I wasn't sure I'd enjoy the two-tone look day after day. It certainly gives the truck a more formal appearance, which is just right at times. But in the end, I went monotone. This isn't a Laramie thing, but the standard 20" wheels are, IMO, more than enough bling down the flanks.

Heated/cooled seats. OK, this is, IMO, over the top. That said, I was happy to see them in my option list. :) I once had a Cadillac STS as a rental car for a weekend. Went for a nice 12 hour day trip...and it had air conditioned and heated seats. I scoffed at them when the rental agent mentioned them, then gingerly fingered the button to engage the AC feature as the temps climbed in Eastern Washington (yes, its a desert climate). Holy Cow, was that nice! 90% of the time, they won't be used, BUT for that other 10% of the time, oooh la la!

A bit leery of the perforated leather, as you can't easily condition the leather without getting cream in the holes (skip the jokes) and causing problems. owner's manual indicates only cleaning with a damp rag is needed and this will keep them clean and usable for years. We shall see.

Heated steering wheel - again, I suspect it's over the top, BUT I'm sure I'll be grateful in the winter. It doesn't get exactly cold in Western Washington, but my Canadian blood has thinned over 5 years of living here, so seat heaters and steering wheel heaters are welcome in my book. Especially given a diesel engine's propensity to warm slower than a gas engine. ;)

Sad truth is that while I'm going to love all the extras in the Laramie, it does lower load and towing numbers. Not that THOSE are the be all of a truck's existence - especially my city truck. But, you do have to be careful to use YOUR numbers when calculating loads, as the "marketing" numbers on TV, the Web and in brochures simply aren't what you get in a truck loaded with luxury options (and air suspension, etc, etc.).

Bottom line for me is I'm very much looking forward to this truck arriving. It's going to be our second new vehicle in about 6 months, and easily the highest spec vehicle we own. Our new VW is an "all options" car, it's just that the RAM offers more options. Good news is...they're both diesels... :D

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
That explains why I liked the used one I saw on the lot in Bradenton. It sure looked good from the outside. Never got inside to look and feel.

Missed those holes for the cream.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Both wife and I are lovin our Laramie. Seats very comfortable; dual climate control actually very useful; most luxurious vehicle we have owned. Leather is nice as the dog hair doesn't stick. Getting use to the backup camera, really helps hooking to the trailer. Alpine stereo very good. Very quiet even at speed. If it remains reliable it will prove to be a great truck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I came from an F250 Lariat that I loved, and there's just no comparison. The Laramie is more comfortable and quieter than my girlfriends Infinity G37 sedan. She said she'd rather drive my truck, and I get better mileage than she does!!!
Only downside......you don't want to treat it like a truck. No blasting through the mesquite brush at the deer lease, "don't you dare eat that chili cheese dog in my truck", "wipe up that beer you spilled on my console", "don't let that dead deer bleed all over my tailgate". You know, the usual stuff!!!

·
Registered
827 Posts
I ordered a Big Horn. When it got stuck in QA Hold for a month, I went to a lot and got a Laramie. I'm glad I did. When I ordered the Big Horn, the Laramie seemed like a lot of extra money just to get leather seats. What I didn't understand is that the higher trims are discounted more deeply so the $$ difference isn't as large as it seems at first glance. Also, I really like the fender flares. I was going to get mudflaps for the Big Horn because I like to keep cars pretty clean. The truck wouldn't ordinarily go into the mud so it's just a matter of road grime and grit. W/o the mudflaps the Big Horn would always be throwing crap up on the rockers. I'm finding now that the Laramie's fender flares do a pretty darn good job of keeping road grime off of the rockers, and they are a cleaner look then mudflaps.

If I had got the Big Horn I was going to get some nice aftermarket leather seat covers and have an upholstery shop do the install. That would probably have been $900 + the extra hassle. That also helped close the $$ gap between Big Horn and Laramie.

The extra weight of the higher trims isn't an issue for me. I figure that no matter what truck I bought, there were going to be pretty much the same set of options on it at endstate. Therefore at the end of the day the weight of a Big Horn, Laramie, or Longhorn would all end up pretty close.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
hi - i think i saw another thread/post on a different site about adding the fender flares fairly easily. does anyone know if that's true? and by that i mean no drilling needed? i have the bighorn on order but would like to add the flares if possible. and yes i just derailed your thread :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am too waiting for my laramie to come in !
Are the seats actually air conditioned ? Or are they just ventilated with air ?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Vented with air

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I am too waiting for my laramie to come in !
Are the seats actually air conditioned ? Or are they just ventilated with air ?
Patayto, patahto...

There is a ventilation fan under the seat to move air. If you have the heat up, they blow warm air. Got the a/c on, then they blow cooler air...because the vents for the rear of the cab apparently exit near said fans.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The good - it's gonna be simply awesome!

The bad - not here yet! :(

etc,etc etc
Everything you said is exactly what it was like for me in the decision making process. I was set on a Big Horn, for the price difference and once I got serious, started looked, comparing options, test driving, seeing the interior up close and finally seeing what the numbers looked like, it ended up not being quite the initial difference I thought it was.

I'm actually glad that once this is said and done, we'll be a 100% "clean diesel" household, and hopefully doing our little part to get America on board with accepting diesel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i got the laramie and traded in a loaded up ford 150. Did not think i would like the dodge more, but i wanted the diesel engine. After about one month, i love the dodge much more than the ford. Glad i ordered the truck loaded up. It

·
Registered
25 Posts
i got the laramie and traded in a loaded up ford 150. Did not think i would like the dodge more, but i wanted the diesel engine. After about one month, i love the dodge much more than the ford. Glad i ordered the truck loaded up. It
Interested to hear more about your experience with this. I also have 2010 F-150 Lariat and I'm strongly considering the Eco Diesel Laramie. Right now, I'm stalling to see how the 2015 Fords shake out. Does the Ram ride better than the Ford etc....?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Love my Laramie Ecodiesel - Class and comfort of a luxery sedan, fuel efficiency of a subcompact and the workability of a truck!

_DSC8886.jpg _DSC8887.jpg _DSC8896.jpg _DSC8903.jpg _DSC8935.jpg

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hands down THEE BEST riding half ton on the market! Island was right it feels like you are driving a car, very very smooth and quiet.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was on the fence between a loaded up big horn and a Laramie and ended up going with the Laramie. No regrets after a month with the truck. I travel a lot for work and got rid of an Acura and an f250 that I needed just to tow with once a month to make the ED my daily driver. The interior of this truck is nicer than my Acura was. The ventilated seats are underrated. Treat yourself the the Laramie.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My loaded Laramie is definitely worth its price. It a Cadillac in a truck. Luxury with versatility. This week it was 103 degrees at my work. Getting in a truck with max a/c and ventilated seats was something worth the money. I came from a 2008 Duramax SLE and Ill tell you that this truck runs circles around it. The Laramie is any and everything I could every want in a truck. You wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ihave an edge & just recently had to take in for service & they gave me a new f150 crewcab to drive . Rode like a Rock or should I say old vet I was like wtf r u kidding only had 10,000 mi. on it 2014 I just shook my head for the price for these trucks Im sure to say drove a new tradesman ed rode like a car what a difference. I ordered a Ram Longhorn airride suspension cant wait to get it supposedly should b in the railyard just waiting for del. I traded my edge cause cant tow crap so Now I can @ least take my Hrley when I go away . LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts