RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure it’s been discussed before but I’m wondering what’s the biggest wheel you can use with a leveling kit with little to no rub? I would like to have a 35 but it might be too big, any suggestions?

·
Registered
541 Posts
It seems that a lot owners fit 35's with minimal mods. The main mod being a front level and the most popular front level being Bilstein 5100's set at 2.8.

I have an Outdoorsman so I'm curious if the Bilstein 5100's with the Outdoorsman heavy duty springs would sit/level higher.

Can owners with 35's post pics of their trucks and list their mods?

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is mine presently. No suspension changes. Obviously new bumper. 35/12.50/17 General grapplers. No rub at all on right turns, left turns rub alittle bit mid way to full.
I also am waiting on bilstein 5100 to level it. 1223181528_HDR_1549281289458.jpg

·
Registered
515 Posts
20171004_124318.jpg

20171017_165253.jpg

4" Suspension lift , 35" Tires on Black Milled Hostile Alpha 20x10 -19 rims. BWoody 09-2014 Ram 1500/2500 Adjustable Rear Track Bar. HD springs in rear on 1 1/2" poly block spacer from Daystar.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Looks great! Do you have wheel spacers?

Have you had those tires in the snow? If yes, how'd they do?
I have those exact tires on Ram Rebel wheels. Factory steel bumpers, bilsteins at 2.8 plus 1.5” lift blocks for the rear coils. No rubbing. I am very impressed with the snow traction given they are MT tires. I expected them to be a bit scary on packed snow roads but they are actually quite good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Looks great! Do you have wheel spacers?

Have you had those tires in the snow? If yes, how'd they do?
I have those exact tires on Ram Rebel wheels. Factory steel bumpers, bilsteins at 2.8 plus 1.5” lift blocks for the rear coils. No rubbing. I am very impressed with the snow traction given they are MT tires. I expected them to be a bit scary on packed snow roads but they are actually quite good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Awesome! You're truck is exactly what I'm going for.

I'm getting 315/70r17's installed on my Rebel Wheels tomorrow and then doing the Bilstein 5100's the next weekend.

I have three questions. Looks like you drive haul roads and construction sites, no rubbing doing that? Do you have wheel spacers? Were the rear 1.5" spacers because you were nose high or to give you back some rake?

I have Timber Grove airbags and they raised/lifted the rear a bit (even at the uploaded 7psi) so maybe I won't need rear spacers.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bumpers are factory, bottom of the barrel tradesman.

I do not have wheel spacers and I do not experience any rub. I pull a trailer here and there but have heavy trucks to use so I don’t need to do a lot of hard work with my 1500.

I have only done some minor off roading through some fields and badly rutted tractor paths. These tires and the suspension mods have made the truck surprisingly capable. The tires can handle some serious mud.

I installed the rear blocks just to get a little more height and keep the truck from being nose high when I tow a trailer. It was very level with the bilsteins at 2.8 before installing the rear blocks. Maybe even a bit higher in front. Compared to a stock truck it’s night and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Had Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 315/70r17 (34.6"|18.5/32nds) installed today.

Here's a before and after with the Toyo Open Country ATII 285/70r17 (32.8"|16/32nds) that were taken off. The after shot has the old tires in the bed so the rake isn't accurate.

The truck currently has a Traxda 2" Front Level and Timber Grove Airbags (7psi) in the Rear. It's an Outdoorsman and has Heavy Duty Suspension (whatever that means, yes, I know what FCA says but have never seen anything definitive).

I will update or make a new thread after I install Bilstein 5100's @ 2.8 and Mevotech UCAs. I'm considering a 1" spacer in the rear but not sure if I'll need it because of the existing Timber Grove Airbags.

There is a slight rub with the front left wheel at full lock to the left. It's just the rear of the plastic wheel well liner but I'm sure the Bilsteins will fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not 35's but..

I have 5100's in the front set at 2.1 (nothing done to the back) and I have 33x12.50x20 nitto ridge grapplers on 20x10 -24mm moto metal wheels. No rub at all except when in reverse at full turn.

About the bilsteins- some days the truck looks level, other days it is clearly still lower in the front, but only by a little bit. For the guys that have theirs on 2.8, was the front too high and needed spacers in the back?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sparks1013,
I bought my truck used with the Bilstein kit already set up on the front, and as far as I can tell, it’s on the highest setting (2.8”).
I added the 5100s to the rear and the truck sits level.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Bilstein 5100 leveling kit and put 295-70-18 Toyo open country tires on

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is mine presently. No suspension changes. Obviously new bumper. 35/12.50/17 General grapplers. No rub at all on right turns, left turns rub alittle bit mid way to full.
I also am waiting on bilstein 5100 to level it. View attachment 78254
Is this the body armor front bumper?? If so got any more pics? Looks great. All these trucks make me need new tires, asap

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you upgrade the tires, are you planning to change rear-end gears? how about a tuning change to tranny and speedometer?

Tracy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts