RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie...my truck isn't even here yet!!! I am enjoying this forum. You guys are covering a lot of topics and it is great to hear real world results!

This is my first question (of many, I am sure). :D

Has anyone installed one yet? If so, which brands are recommended and what size tire could you fit with the factory rims?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have one on my truck. Do a search here or on another forum, there is a ton of info. Basically there is an issue with the 2014 models that causes upper ball joint failure if you use the standard spacer style level kit. I went with the Bilstein 5100 adjustable level shocks. $200 for the set but it gives you the ability to set it for the height you want from like 0.5"-2.8". This setup also does not cause the ball joint issue. I have mine at 2.8" and clear 35" tires with zero rubbing issues. Hope this helps

Mark

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any effect on MPG with a leveling kit?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have 35/12.50/20's or a different width (exact tire size)? On factory rims or aftermarket? From my research thus far, the Bilstein's seem like the way to go! Also curious what your fuel mileage is with the larger tires? What gear ratio do you have, 3.55 or 3.92?

I have one on my truck. Do a search here or on another forum, there is a ton of info. Basically there is an issue with the 2014 models that causes upper ball joint failure if you use the standard spacer style level kit. I went with the Bilstein 5100 adjustable level shocks. $200 for the set but it gives you the ability to set it for the height you want from like 0.5"-2.8". This setup also does not cause the ball joint issue. I have mine at 2.8" and clear 35" tires with zero rubbing issues. Hope this helps

Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have Cooper Discoverer 35x12.5x18 on aftermarket Rockstar wheels with a zero offset. I put the level kit and wheels and tires on before I drove the truck so cant say if it changed the mpg on it but I do a lot of city driving and average 20mpg, on a 150 mile interstate run at 70-75 I got 24.2 and on a two lane highway trip over a mountain pass to the coast I got 22mpg. All hand calculated taking into account the 7% difference in tire size of the 35 vs the largest stock tire the computer can be set too. Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Moosebrew, where did you get the shocks, do you have a link? Did you do the change, much to it?

-Limey

·
Registered
233 Posts
No problem. I'm running them on the factory Laramie wheels which I really like.

You don't have to run a MT tire. The nitto terra grappler looks nice as do the BFG TKO. Lots of options

·
Registered
21 Posts
Moosebrew, where did you get the shocks, do you have a link? Did you do the change, much to it?

-Limey
Limey, I had a local shop do the work that did the tires as well. It was all wrapped in with my loan through the dealer. They ordered the shocks through one of their vendors

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Schmitt - I really like the look of your truck. I am thinking about Toyo Open Country AT 2's. Shouldn't be as heavy as what you are running so I am hoping that I don't see as much of a change in MPG.
Question - the 1" spacer in the rear...was it necessary? And, did you also put the standard bilsteins on the rear?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I did the motofabs 2" level and a 1" rear from em. I run 35x12.50x20 Federal 10 ply MT on stock wheels. No rubbing. My mpg dropped 3-4 still getting 20-22 before I added my Bluespark pro kit. At 24mpg now some tanks in the 22 ' with lots of stops and idles.

·
Registered
233 Posts
@Schmitt - I really like the look of your truck. I am thinking about Toyo Open Country AT 2's. Shouldn't be as heavy as what you are running so I am hoping that I don't see as much of a change in MPG.
Question - the 1" spacer in the rear...was it necessary? And, did you also put the standard bilsteins on the rear?
Thanks cajun,
Yeah that tire will help you not loose as much mpg.
You dont have to run a rear spacer. Most guys are setting the front bilstien shocks at the 2.1", that will put you dang near perfect. At 2.8" I was nose high so I added the rear spacer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any advantage to running Bilstien shocks in the rear compared to the stock shocks, if setting the front bilstien shocks at only 2.1"?
Will 35's still fit setting the fronts to 2.1" and no rear spacer?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Is there any advantage to running Bilstien shocks in the rear compared to the stock shocks, if setting the front bilstien shocks at only 2.1"?
Will 35's still fit setting the fronts to 2.1" and no rear spacer?
Probably no real big advantage to Bilstiens in the rear when you still have new factory shocks unless you are running with loads over a lot of bumps or something…I’d just let the factory ones deteriorate then replace them with Bilstiens, although the Outdoorsman is supposed to come with heavier rear shocks from the factory.

35’s would probably fit out back w/out a spacer..probably in the front too set at 2.1 unless the rims have too much backspacing.

Spacers are cheap and easy so, go after the look you want!!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Probably no real big advantage to Bilstiens in the rear when you still have new factory shocks unless you are running with loads over a lot of bumps or something…I’d just let the factory ones deteriorate then replace them with Bilstiens, although the Outdoorsman is supposed to come with heavier rear shocks from the factory.

35’s would probably fit out back w/out a spacer..probably in the front too set at 2.1 unless the rims have too much backspacing.

Spacers are cheap and easy so, go after the look you want!!
I agree. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even notice the difference in "normal every day" driving. But when it's time to replace them anyway, that's when it's time to go ahead and pay the extra. Unless you're completely replacing the entire suspension... I mean, I have Bilsteins on the Camaro but it has lowered suspension and larger anti-sway bars. It's a complete performance package and unless that's what you're doing--or if you're gonna be off road a lot--just go ahead and let the factory shocks wear out before you replace them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts