RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Closer to ordering need y'alls help finalizing the build.
I'm torn because I want good mpg but at the same time I want this thing to be a truck not a glamorized station wagon.
Side by side I want this truck to be taller (even if only 2 inches) than a standard Ram. I don't like the looks when they sit too low. I don't think I can set it to stay lifted can I? Will it go back up after lowering for highway speed?
Of course If I lift it I have to give up the air suspension and therefore some mpg. So there is one question. Lift or A/S unless there is someway to get both :)
Next, call me old school but I'm not sure what the benefit of the 20's versus 17's are. My experience has been the ride suffers.
Seems if I went no air and 17's I could lift it and buy some better tires for the difference. My sacrifice will be mpgs....am I missing anything?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Well, thanks for judging me on my choice of truck, first off... ;) (Hey, I like station wagons!). :)

Next up - you can replace the air suspension with a system from BDS, which may or may not be an option, depending on WHEN you want to raised the truck - now or in a few years.

Personally, if I'm going to lift, stick with the regular suspension.

next, 20s can be as comfortable as 17s, but most aftermarket suspension will ride stiffer than factory, so 17s will be your friend - cost wise and for the added cushioning the sidewall will allow. Keep in mind if you ever want to upgrade your brakes down the road, you'll need rims bigger than 17s...but, that's an expensive proposition, so maybe shouldn't impact today's decisions. like almost 5 grand expensive. ;)

Something else to consider, and this moves you further from the air suspension option, is that the truck wasn't intended to be driven around all the time in it's OffRoad 2 setting.

From where I'm sitting, buy the regular suspension and find a good lift option from there.

yes, you will lose a bunch of MPG, too. Like you won't reach the 30 mpg on the highway everyone else is getting.

Depending on the tire size you go with, you might need to reprogram the system to factor in the new diameter and rest the speedo to be accurate again, too. Doable, but something not to overlook. Bigger tire = speedo reading low, so at 60 mph, for example, you might be 10% off, and in reality, doing 66 mph... Police won't care about your speedo needing recalibration... :(

·
Registered
701 Posts
I ask the question why you want to drive high speed in highway lifted significantly? MPG will really suffer but more important is safety and comfort and noise. There is a reason the engineers lower from off-road when high speed. Around town to show off, push the button. Let it lower automatically at speed. And pretty cool to lower with entry/exit mode to load the bed or let people in -- then raise it up 4" (from lowest mode). Always starts a conversation. Best if all worlds with air suspension. A really fun feature to play with, with great safety and functionality -- how many mods give you all of that?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sportsguy as long as you haven't lowered your truck I'm not judging you too much. I appreciate your response because a big reason I'm getting this truck is because of its mpg the other big reason is because its a badass truck.

Oil I hadn't considered the increased noise but also wasn't thinking of lifting it significantly. Just enough to have a presence next to Fords which seem a little taller. Is it bad I want to make my ford driving friends feel as insignificant as their trucks...:cool:

Maybe I'll go with the A/S and 17's. If I do go with 17's how big can I go without having to recalibrate?

·
Registered
701 Posts
A lot of this is personal preference. I know I feel confident along side other brands just because how sharp this looks (limited trim and retrax pro cover). Can understand the height. I get compliments because of looks and features, not height. I like that since I'm personally vertically challenged! I do get some interesting looks though when someone sees me parked in entry mode, they look away then back and see me 4" taller in off-road 2 mode. I tell my young kids that with the air suspension and ram boxes that my truck is really a Transformer. They sure live riding in the truck

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Sportsguy as long as you haven't lowered your truck I'm not judging you too much. I appreciate your response because a big reason I'm getting this truck is because of its mpg the other big reason is because its a badass truck.
OK, badassness - yup, this rig has you covered.

Lowering this truck? Nah...been there, done that in the past. :)

Though I WAS admiring the truck in Entry/Exit mode today before heading into work, and wondering what she'd look like a few inches lower...I could see a 4/6 f/r drop on one of these rigs. Maybe with the white over chrome with limo tint. ideally, graft on dually fenders and shoehorn in some wide Mickey Thompsons in the back - THAT would be truly bad ass... :)

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Question for Oil belcher--

DO you have a 6-4" box with Crew cab, 4x4, air suspension and RAMBOX? I tried to order air and RAMBOX but was told that the air suspension encroached on the RAMBOX area and I could have one or the other. SOunded logical when I looked at pictures online of the air suspension but may have been salesman BS as CHrysler balanced parts availability to ensure they kept the line full.

Anyhow, would appreciate knowing if Rambox and air suspension and 4x4 and 6'4" box and crew cab is actually doable,

THanks in advance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts